Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Repower at Bass Pro in Palm Bay

Has anyone had experience with Bass Pro Shop/ Tracker service center in Palm Bay?

I'm ready to repower with a Mercury 300 HP V8 Four Stroke and got a quote from the sales guy, but it seemed like I knew more about the motor and accessories than he did! He did give me a nice price for the motor, but if they do a poor job on the install then it's not worth the money saved.

I did speak to the service guy and he seemed to know what was needed, but still curious about their shop. Opinions please, thanks.

Replies

• HighSpeedPursuitHighSpeedPursuit Posts: 177 Deckhand
    I don't know anything about them, but am not surprised as I wouldn't thi they would be very knowledgeable. Don't we have any other Merc dealers around? Know that there is Mullis in Cocoa if you are going Merc.
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 925 Officer
    My buddy had a 225 optimax removed from his boat and replaced with another one at that Bass Pro shop.
    He didn't have any complaints.
    Are you worried about the install of the gauges if fiberglass or finish work has to be done to make everything fit or mechanical stuff?
    Not much to bolting an outboard to the back of the boat and connecting everything... I've done several myself on my driveway and I'm not a mechanic.
    I would ask to specifically speak to the service guy and tell him your concerns up front...

• JmikeJmike Posts: 17 Deckhand
    Repower update:
    I decided to go with Fun Time in M.I. I asked around and got a lot of good feedback on them. I know they been there forever and it's a family business. It cost me a little more for the motor, but It's worth it rather than driving to Palm Bay (30 miles one way!). Beside's I feel better about supporting a local place.

Bought a Merc 300 V8 FS. Ordered it on a Wednesday and it showed up the following Tuesday, Bass Pro said 2 months. The only issue we had was getting the Smart Craft gauges. They are on back-order until 3/10, but that's tomorrow anyway so we should be water testing and getting the boat back by the end of the week.  

Posting a few pic's of the work in progress, and yes I know I need to replace stripes and get a wax job LOL.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,838 AG
    Nice.   Congrats on the new motor! 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    Thank you. Had a 1997 Ocean Runner 225 original motor on the boat so it was about time. I've only been thinking about and researching this for 5 years before pulling the trigger. Always thought I'd put a G2 on the back until these motors came out in 2018. Then I waited for 2 years to see how many gremlins were exposed, so far I've heard good things, not to many negatives. 

I'm really excited about what the performance numbers will be. I will post them when I have them.
  • bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 184 Deckhand
    Sweet! Let us know about the numbers. Can you run 87octane? I second your choice over G2. Hopefully the transom can handle that monster!
    Sweet! Let us know about the numbers. Can you run 87octane? I second your choice over G2. Hopefully the transom can handle that monster!
    It does run on 87. The motor will be fine on the bracket. Called Stainless Marine and they said all their single brackets of that era were designed with a 300 hp in mind. It only weighs about 70 lbs. more than the Johnson it's replacing. 

The Pro Line 251 is rated for 300 hp. They had a twin 150 option, but also had a 320 hp I/O version that was not a good seller in Florida, but it did well up north around the great lakes area.

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    Very nice !

I can remember as a 7 year old kid standing on the dock at my dads marina and him looking at the brand new 75 HP Johnson " Sea Horse" on the back of a boat and saying .... " They'll never get any bigger than that " ...LOL   
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • satbeachbillsatbeachbill Posts: 39 Deckhand
    Congrats on the repower. You are gonna love it. I 've had a pair for a year.
    Jmike said:
    Thank you. Had a 1997 Ocean Runner 225 original motor on the boat so it was about time. I've only been thinking about and researching this for 5 years before pulling the trigger. Always thought I'd put a G2 on the back until these motors came out in 2018. Then I waited for 2 years to see how many gremlins were exposed, so far I've heard good things, not to many negatives. 

I'm really excited about what the performance numbers will be. I will post them when I have them.
    I'm really curious to see how it performs for you.   Going from a 225 2 stroke to a 300 4 stroke, should be a heck of a transition.   Power and fuel economy both going up at the same time!    
    The 225 would push me along under light load 5600 rpm WOT at about 35 MPH with a 20 GPH flow scan gauge pegged ( guessing about 23-25 GPH). At 4800 RPM I was getting 28 MPH and 18 GPH on flow scan. It would plane at about 20 MPH,  8-10 seconds to get there and come off at about 17 MPH. All speeds were measured from GPS.

I'm hoping that the new motor will push me along at about 42-46 with a light load at WOT. I'm hoping my cruise speed will match my old top speed. 
    Jmike said:
    The 225 would push me along under light load 5600 rpm WOT at about 35 MPH with a 20 GPH flow scan gauge pegged ( guessing about 23-25 GPH). At 4800 RPM I was getting 28 MPH and 18 GPH on flow scan. It would plane at about 20 MPH,  8-10 seconds to get there and come off at about 17 MPH. All speeds were measured from GPS.

I'm hoping that the new motor will push me along at about 42-46 with a light load at WOT. I'm hoping my cruise speed will match my old top speed. 
    Did you buy a different pitched prop? 
    Jmike said:

Did you buy a different pitched prop? 

Not yet. When we water test it we're going to try a few different test props, they I'll buy what works best. Going to start with a 15.5 x 17 Mirage + and go from there. Mercury's website has a prop selector, you enter some boat specs and projected load and it gives you some options. It a good starting point.

Also, I"ll buy a new one. After spending 22K + it only makes sense to go with new. Probably pick up a used one for a spare. The prop off the Johnson won't work for me, wrong size/pitch and I don't know if it could be re-hubbed anyway.