Home General Freshwater Fishing

Visiting Florida this month: can I freshwater fish anywhere I want?

recruitkimrecruitkim New YorkPosts: 15 Deckhand
Hello, 

So I'm from new York city and I plan on visiting Florida later this month. I noticed there is a lot of freshwater, ponds, lakes, canals, ditches, etc, throughout Florida that look like great places for bluegills and stuff. Assuming I'm not trespassing, it legal to fish in these places?

Obviously i wouldn't fish right in front of someone's house, but is a community pond and in front of Walmart fair game?

I will get the proper licensure and only catch and release. 

Thanks. 

Also, I'm happy to share any fishing guidance here on NYC if you PM me. 

Replies

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 2020 #2
  • recruitkimrecruitkim New YorkPosts: 15 Deckhand
    Thanks fishing p
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 251 Deckhand
    It is very frustrating! You will run into more private property than public. I gave up chasing Google maps. Floridians love their private property!   :(
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,573 AG
    As long as it doesn't have a fence around it.  Where I used to fish it was posted with no fishing signs.  I was ok to fish it being part of the HOA, but anyone could fish it where I did.  The "Florida Trail" went past 2 ponds and was maintained by county or state, so the easement meant the signs were meaningless.

Fish at the crack of dawn and sunset on little ponds.  It can be tough even in winter once the sun gets high.  

And don't judge a pond by it's cover, pun intended.  My favorite pond was a retention pond that seemed void of cover and vegetation.  However it did have mats of hydrilla on the bottom.  If you find a lot of clams on shore from the shore birds eating, that's a good sign.

Be stealthy.  Most fish, especially in the morning will be caught right against the bank.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • recruitkimrecruitkim New YorkPosts: 15 Deckhand
    Thanks admiral spug
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,253 AG
    Fish wherever not posted...be polite and respectful if challenged....move on if asked to....  
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,573 AG
    Agree, being hassled, just move on.  
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,037 Officer
    Remember unlike property in the north private property doesn't have to be posted as such. It is up to you to find out if it is open to the public so as others have said I ggv asked to move on just politely do it
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 873 Officer
    Ponds behind strip malls usually don’t have any signs from what I’ve seen. There’s plenty nearby parking available, and there’s no one around to hassle you either. They are also loaded with bass in many cases, and there is little to no pressure on those fish.  

I’ve fished in all sorts of places freshwater and saltwater, day and night, with police driving right past me and never had any issues.  The only time they do pull in is to ask ‘is that your truck’ and then they just leave. So I’d say anywhere without any signs is worth a shot.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,343 Admiral
    Some ponds & lakes have no parking on right of way signs.