Home General Fishing

Random New Forum Guy with some General Questions

DustinWVTroutDustinWVTrout Seneca Rocks, West VirginiaPosts: 3 Greenhorn

I'm new to the forum and am a beginner saltwater angler. I have a few general questions about what one might be able catch in the Manasota Key area in February. This is my second trip down to the area in February, and I'll be there from the 7th to the 15th. We stayed in Englewood last year and caught a bunch of cool species including sharks down near Boca Grande. I'm wondering what species I may be able to catch if we tried surf fishing on the Gulf Side? I'm also wondering what species can be caught in the bay this time of year with any regularity?

I'm a cold water fisheries biologist who works for Trout Unlimited in the Mid Atlantic across Maryland, West Virginia, and Virginia. I'm willing to trade some trout tips or a trip with anyone who might want to swap some private messages.

I'm just looking for some general guidance, so I'm not stabbing in the dark

Replies

• Quad32xQuad32x Sparr , FloridaPosts: 394 Deckhand
    Ask around at the local Tackle Shops. Im sure you would find some good tips from the shop owners.
  • FS JeffFS Jeff Posts: 376 Moderator
    Fly fishing? If the water temp is above 68 degrees or so, and the winds are calm or mostly out of the east you might find pompano, sea trout or snook cruising the beaches. Wear polarizing sunglasses and watch for flashes or shadows the first 5-20 feet--basically right off the beach. Green/white Clouser or other streamer fly on a No. 4 hook or thereabouts will get the job done. Small jigs, if spin-fishing.  If a screaming winter cold front blasts through with west winds and dirty water... can be tough. 

The Fly Fishing, Angler on Foot and Southwest Region sub-forums might yield some good local intel. 

Also check the "Forecast" link at the top of the page, and click on the West Central forecast. Capt. Ray Markham gives good updates each week. 

Jeff Weakley
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,286 Officer

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • fmoefmoe tampa bayPosts: 5 Deckhand
    Go to the local pier or jetty..Watch the regulars.

• finbullyfinbully Posts: 871 Officer
    Check the fishing reports area of this forum for the place(s) you want to fish and search the historical reports based on the time of year you will be down. I feel that I've learned some good information doing this. Good luck!
  • DustinWVTroutDustinWVTrout Seneca Rocks, West VirginiaPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Thank you guys so much!