Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pesty Gags

Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,385 Officer
Went out today to test out some new lures that I wanted to see how they pulled after I changed out their hooks. It looked like it would be a good morning with glassy calm seas.

There was a lot of scattered floating grass, so I wound up only testing with one rod out at a time. In two hours I released 4 Gags of various sizes and a mess of Lizzardfish. At least 2 of the grouper would have been legal sized if they were in season.

About 10AM the sea fog really set in heavy, with visibility only a hundred yards or so. I fished in 40' of water for another hour and things had slowed down so I decided to call it a day and head in.

It was simply running on instruments the whole way back.

Since the area was full of crab traps everywhere, and visibility so limited that I didn't want to cruise too fast, I put out a high speed jet and pulled it way back at 18 knots. I really wasn't expecting anything other than maybe a Bonito. But back in about 30' of water, a King nailed it.

The fog persisted until I was just about back to land. Good day though.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
but I will always respect your right to be wrong!

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,966 AG
    good deal, nice to see a rec boat with a radar..
    Fog up by seahorse was gray and couldn't see buoy to buoy.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 602 Officer
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes designated screens. Split and overlays drive me nuts. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,636 AG
    Good day
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,385 Officer
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes designated screens. Split and overlays drive me nuts. 
    Even with a single 16" screen, by the time you split it up for charting, bottom, side scan, and radar, it's too small to see details that are needed for my kind of fishing. I interfaced them, so with any single one I can save rockpile numbers to all of them. 

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,783 Captain
    It was indeed soupy out there yesterday.  It wasn't quite as bad further south where we were fishing.  The good news was that we only saw one other boat all day.  ;)

We were snapper fishing and the gags were pests for sure.  They ran us off the first 2 spots.  Since we were using trout gear for mangroves, they rocked us up almost immediately.  They were hitting tiny baits on jig heads.   Kyle finally put a grouper rig down to see what size they were and they were pretty big.  Looks good for June 1.  You know, when they stop bitting.  :'(
    It was indeed soupy out there yesterday.  It wasn't quite as bad further south where we were fishing.  The good news was that we only saw one other boat all day.  ;)

We were snapper fishing and the gags were pests for sure.  They ran us off the first 2 spots.  Since we were using trout gear for mangroves, they rocked us up almost immediately.  They were hitting tiny baits on jig heads.   Kyle finally put a grouper rig down to see what size they were and they were pretty big.  Looks good for June 1.  You know, when they stop bitting.  :'(
    That's exactly when the bite will turn off LOL!    
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,275 Captain
    Nice day Pete. I guess you found some keepers in that new batch of plugs. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I went out of Homosassa too, but ran more to the north, about 275*. It got REALLY thick at times.

I'm not too worried about the opening of Grouper season. I'll wait until the crowds get down and the fish are on the smaller scattered rocks. I'll probably be away anyway. I'll be Striper fishing out of Barnegat Inlet in May, and then trailering my boat down to the Keys in June for a week of Dolphin fishing. I need to do things like that while I'm still young. LOL

Is there much of a kingfish run in that area in April?   I'm tired of running down to St Pete and chasing them in choppy waters.    
    Ruff One said:
    Nice day Pete. I guess you found some keepers in that new batch of plugs. 
    Most worked well after changing over to the inline single hooks., but a couple needed the trebles to maintain balance, they would turn on their side and then come up. I set those aside to replace with a larger size single belly hook to see if that works, before putting the trebles back on.

Is there much of a kingfish run in that area in April?   I'm tired of running down to St Pete and chasing them in choppy waters.    
    It isn't really a run. They just show back up along with everything else like Cobia, Spanish, Bonito, etc, whenever the water temperature starts to remain at 70 degrees or more.

It's a little farther to run offshore from here than from St Pete.

It isn't really a run. They just show back up along with everything else like Cobia, Spanish, Bonito, etc, whenever the water temperature starts to remain at 70 degrees or more.

It's a little farther to run offshore from here than from St Pete.
    I've run 26 miles off St pete looking for them before and struck out, i have no issues running 10-15 miles out of Bayport, it's a hell of a lot smoother ride.   
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,706 Captain
    Crabtrap and I fished in 8' Tuesday and got run off a rockpile by small gags.  He did go to another where we caught large grunts that we took home.