Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Baitcasters for Surf Fishing

HI, all.  Recently caught the surf fishing bug and went to Larry Finch's seminar in Daytona.  I totally forgot to look or ask him what type of baitcaster he uses or recommends. He said he is a die hard Penn guy.  I also don't recall if he uses magnets or not any suggestions on here would be much appreciated

Replies

• Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,500 Admiral
    ARCHIE, at Strike Zone can tell you what Larry uses.....I think he has his reels "worked" a little to help with distance, and lessen the backlash.

I use spinners myself.....but I know Archie gets Larry his stuff, because he has mentioned him many times to me.
  • tle1001tle1001 Posts: 32 Deckhand
    He uses Penn International or Torques.  Can't remember which one but it's one of those.  
  • Mark_SMark_S jacksonvillePosts: 5 Deckhand
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    While a proper reel is important, 10 Million casts, most of them made in the right places with the correct rig & bait has more to do with it. 
  • Mark_SMark_S jacksonvillePosts: 5 Deckhand
    bswiv said:
    While a proper reel is important, 10 Million casts, most of them made in the right places with the correct rig & bait has more to do with it. 
    ^^^^^^^^ this
  • JaxJoshJaxJosh Posts: 79 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the responses.  Wondering if its worth the money to have some reels that will last a lifetime??? Probably is if I am asking
    depends on how rough you are on your tackle......I have resorted to using fairly cheap surf tackle, because they catch a good beating from me ....I have 25 dollar rods, that are as good as my 300 dollar custom surf rod.....and likewise i have some older cheap spinners that hold up as well as my Fin Nor spinners

Now if you get hard core at it...or make a living from it...then by all means put everything on your side you can afford....if you're gonna go a half dozen times a year and lean the tackle against the wall the rest of the time, then maybe don't spend so much.
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,425 Officer
    Sea Snake said:
    depends on how rough you are on your tackle......I have resorted to using fairly cheap surf tackle, because they catch a good beating from me ....I have 25 dollar rods, that are as good as my 300 dollar custom surf rod.....and likewise i have some older cheap spinners that hold up as well as my Fin Nor spinners

Now if you get hard core at it...or make a living from it...then by all means put everything on your side you can afford....if you're gonna go a half dozen times a year and lean the tackle against the wall the rest of the time, then maybe don't spend so much.
    What length and brand surf rods do you use? 
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,761 Captain
    Cheap rods and quality reels. I have Penn 6500SS spinning reels that are over 30yrs old, and rarely get them serviced (some never). My rods are just cheapos that I've paid $18-$60 for. I'll even keep using them if an eye breaks on them. The rule to follow is "Never lay your reel in the sand, and never dunk it in the ocean!!!"

I don't use baitcasters only because I'm afraid my kids will backlash them...

Sea Snake said:

What length and brand surf rods do you use? 
    Joe.....I take anywhere from 10 footers on up to 13 footers....the rougher the seas, the longer the pole, since you want your line up above the breakers, or it'll get all beat up and drag your rig all over the place..

Sometimes it's flat and a nine footer will suit the bill.....but every day the 11 and 12's will be fine....Sea Striker sells a inexpensive rod for like 30 dollars or so....I also picked up a couple of Tsunamis for under 50 bucks each, an 11 and a 12.....West Marine sells a cheap combo, for like 75 bucks, ( that was around christmas) You can also get a sea striker combo at Strike zone on the cheap side too.....And ACADEMY has some combos that look decent as well........

But like sea squatch said.......don't drop em if you can help it....wet sand gets into everything !!