Home General Hunting

Think I got another one hooked

bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
Last weekend I took the producer of the radio show out to try to get a pig.  He is 25 and was not raised in a hunting family.  He hears us talk about hunting all the time and wanted to give it a try.  My buddy hauled him up to camp as they live much closer to each other than to me.  We had him shoot a 22 for a bit and he was doing fine with it.  Put an older Ruger 308 in his hands and he was well within where he needed to be.  Put a water bottle out and he made it explode.  Ready for a pig.  He wanted to shoot my pistol so what the heck,  TC Encore in 7mm08.  Lets just say I do not think he was ready for it.  Rared back and about knocked his hat off his head.  Better stick with the 308. 

Went and got in a double stand.  He practiced aiming the gun at various pine cone and tweety birds just to get the hang of bringing the gun up and getting his head in the right position.  A little after 4pm I saw a big pig working his way out of the palmettos.  Pig was moving around in the area for what seemed like an eternity.  He never felt good with the shot.  I applaud people choosing not to shoot if they do not feel comfortable with the putting the bullet where it needs to be.  The pig moved back off.  He thought his one chance was gone.  About 10 minutes later out came the pig and worked its way back in.  He put the shot right on the shoulder and dropped him in his tracks.  The pig actually flipped on his back and kicked a bit.  

What happened next made me chuckle.  He was fine with the shot and harvesting the pig.  When we got down I told him to drag the pig where we could take a little better picture, he grabbed the leg to pull him and he immediately let go.  He did it 3 time and could not get himself to grab it and pull it 5 yards.  I pulled it over and we got a few pictures.  Then I put a rope on it and he was able to pull it out.  Was a little worried if he was going to be able to help me lift it up and put it on the hitch hauler.  He mustered up and got it done. 

We then went to skin it and cut it up.  He had no problems with that.  

He is already looking at getting a hunting license so he can try his hand out on some squirrels or even a deer.  We discussed the need for hunters ed and a mentor license option for now.  

Not bad for a first one.  

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.

Replies

• harbisonharbison Posts: 5,182 Admiral
    "Not bad for a first one."   That's a Huge understatement...  It's FANTASTIC!
    .308, Excellent choice. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,986 Captain
    Nice going Bgeorge !
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    For some reason those ears really stood out.  Don't know if it was just a color thing but they looked bigger than normal.

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,165 Captain
    Thanks bgeorge!! We need mentors to bring new blood to our sport. Love the color of that beast. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2020 #6
    "We need mentors to bring new blood to our sport."
    Absolutely!

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,167 Admiral
    Darn well done. Even if he does not end up a hunter at least he'll not be a anti. Especially once he gets a bit of fried wild hog!
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    Awesome pig! Nice story! I love hearing people get into hog hunting. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    "I love hearing people get into hog hunting."
    Me too!    Love it.

I have harvested deer in the high snow covered mountains of Maine, elk in the tall pines of New Mexico. Always come back to hog hunting. 
  • Flhunter57Flhunter57 Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Nice porker!  Congrats to you both.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,075 Captain
    You spoiled him bgeorge. That's a great Hog.
    At the show today we talked about how the family reacted.  He was amazed on how involved everyone including extended family got on finding recipes on how to prepare it.  Today they were going to have family over and have the first of several meals.  I will share some of my favorite recipes with him.  I will mix up a special spice mix and have him do one of the hams.  I tried to get him to make up some sweet Italian sausage but he was wanting to try some of the other things first.

What would you all give as good starter recipes? 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,167 Admiral
    I know it sounds odd and pedestrian but frying thin strips of it.....and the ribs!.....is actually quite good. And it is easy!
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 835 Officer
    edited January 2020 #14
    My go to recipe:

1 Pork Shoulder or Rump
    1/2 Cup brown sugar
    1 Tbsp paprika
    1 Tsp mustard powder
    1 Tsp cumin
    1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
    1 Can tomato paste
    3 Cups water

Add all ingredients except pork to slow cooker; whisk to combine.
    Add pork, cook on low, 8 or more hours.
    Once done, remove pork, let sit 5 minutes.
    Pull or shred, and serve
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    Good on you for bringing someone new to the sport.
    bswiv said:
    I know it sounds odd and pedestrian but frying thin strips of it.....and the ribs!.....is actually quite good. And it is easy!
    Ben I need someone to teach me the art of ribs.  I have tried several times over the years but have never been successful at producing good ribs.  They have always been tough to eat.  I have a friend that does a great job and because he has not taught me, he gets plenty of ribs from me.  So I guess I will never learn from him.
    Might want to try using a slow cooker for a few hours first.  Woks well!
    My go to recipe:

1 Pork Shoulder or Rump
    1/2 Cup brown sugar
    1 Tbsp paprika
    1 Tsp mustard powder
    1 Tsp cumin
    1/2 Cup apple cider vinegar
    1 Can tomato paste
    3 Cups water

Add all ingredients except pork to slow cooker; whisk to combine.
    Add pork, cook on low, 8 or more hours.
    Once done, remove pork, let sit 5 minutes.
    Pull or shred, and serve
    I will give that one a try.

My mom got me one of those electric pressure cookers for Christmas.  Was amazed how quick it did what I usually did for 5+ hours.  Shot a big boar right before new years.  Chunked shoulders and hams into 3-4 inch pieces.  Put in pressure cooker with mojo sauce and cooked for 45 minutes.  Came out falling apart like I had it in the oven all night.  Ran all the shoulders and hams through and have it ready to make a quick camp meal to feed the masses in turkey season.  This recipe should do well in the pressure cooker also,

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 835 Officer
    That mojo pork is not to be undersold. Good stuff there too and multi use. Can eat it plain or toss on a tortilla. Even great wrapped up in an omelette. 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited January 2020 #20
    Slow cook a front leg or ham (or whole pig) that has been brined for 24 hours.  I use salt, pepper, smoked paprika as a rub - don't need anything else. Real low temp smokey oak fire for hours and hours until tender probably around 220 degrees or less. Concrete blocks, moveable grate, and something to cover it with (tin foil, with a wet croker sack or piece of metal roofing) - Cracker method. A good acorn eating wild pig done this way is out of this world.