health of the Indian River/Mosquito Lagoon

Wisconsin guy, Been retired a few years now - still exploring FL. I've spent more time fishing on the gulf side but have an opportunity to spend some time late Feb in New Smyrna Beach. As I'm kayak fishing I've been doing a bit of research (and hence why I'm on here) on good places to go. I have read some about the bad fish kills, and the dying sea grass in both these areas but what I've read seems to be further south around Titusville or Cocoa Beach. Was the sea grass / fish populations affected further north - specifically I was hoping to fish some of the backwaters just a couple miles south of New Smyrna beach. Some nice natural areas off the Indian River. Any information you could share would be really appreciated. As a side note, I'm involved in some of the water quality issues on our lakes in N. Wisconsin so I sure hate to hear about these kind of issues anywhere. Again, thx for any help you could provide. Dave

Replies

• MissedMissed O-townPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    The water is getting better.  It is a slow uphill kind of thing.  Everyone has a diff opinion on what should get done and how to fix stuff.  In the meantime, the fish have done what they know how to do to get to better water...

I fish the areas you mention, along with lots of other guys - it's pretty and most folks are respectful.  You will be able to get trout without much trouble and there are a few reds running around, just not like in years past.  If you just want to catch fish - live shrimp in most of the channels will usually get something.
  • BadgerFanBadgerFan Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    any suggestions on where the "better water" is? I'm just hauling a kayak around so lots of flexibility. Thx.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    No idea where the fish go off to.    

There literally are fish everywhere, you just need to put a bait on their nose.

Best wishes to your success!
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,525 Admiral
    edited January 13 #5
    Better water?  In FL?  West side.  East coast is a toxic dump compared to what it once was (and not that long ago.. like a decade).

Also, the Caribbean and Central America.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Flounderman3Flounderman3 Posts: 174 Deckhand
    You can fish the three bridges between Port Orange and New Smyrna and launch the Yak at either of the two yellow arrows in the picture( second one below). Anything that swims in the river you can catch in this area. Or in the picture directly below you can launch further down towards Edgewater at Menard Park. Lots of good fishing around here as well. Either area bring some live Shrimp/mullet your favorite top water and some paddle tails and you will most definitely catch fish. Nothing wrong with the water in these areas. 
    Thanks for the help guys. I'll report if I do any good. Looking forward it. We got ALOT of snow in N. WI, and I'm looking forward to leaving it behind. Mother Nature is good at healing herself if we can find a way to let that happen. Hopefully the politicians, and the public, will begin to prioritize this stuff. In the long term, restoring the fisheries, improving the water quality, is the best economic decision they can make. It's the short term interests that get in the way. IMHO 
  • bonessk01bonessk01 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    head to Donalds bait on dunlawton bridge put in west side of lot head south to end of point on a falling tide 

end of niver st port orange

end of cedar st port orange

read the water on  google maps satellite view you'll figure out where you should be going from these points

Thanks again! Looks like a fun area to try.