Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Offshore 1-7

checked forecast and figured it was last opportunity to catch some wahoo near this full moon phase. Invited my fishing buddy Lee, from SC to come down for some high speed fun. Left the inlet before fist light and headed out to 105 feet and had the spread in shortly after sunrise. Headed out to deeper water looking for signs of life. 2 hours later with no fliers or birds we notice the winds picking up and the seas getting sporty. 4-5 at 3 seconds. Our plan was to fish out to 140 and now we decide to push further out with the wind at our back and riding the waves at 18-20 knots and falling off the waves backing down to 11-12 knots. Hit 155 depth and start noticing some good signs. At 11am the fun starts, the long 50 wide goes off hard and line peeling off fast. The spreed is 4-50 wides staggered with cowbells up close and mrbigs out med and long with a shotgun tld25 pulling a weighted feather in black and purple. Lee gets set to take the 50 wide and the shotgun goes off and starts dumping line. I grab the tld while Lee starts reeling in his fish from the gunnel and we work his fish on a slow turn. Keeping the boat around 7 knots in rough seas 2 fish on, Lee gets his fish close and grabs weight and leader to work the fish up closer so l can gaff it. With one fish on the deck going batshit crazy I start gaining back some line on the other. 20 min later my fish gets close to the boat and makes another hard run that pulls me tight to the gunnel sliding on the bloody deck. Lee gets his fish in the box while I get mine closer for a gaff shot. Lee sinks the gaff and pulls another slob over the rail. Fished to the ledge and wind picked up with seas around 5-6 at 3 seconds. No luck at the ledge so we headed back into the wind trolling to 105 feet before picking lines up. 
I fish out of a 23 single engine contender 06 model. We stayed dry all day and never saw the bilge run. Yes it works fine, pics we’re taking after pulling lines in, notice the garmin inreach on my belt loop. Never fish without it and the eperb. 

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,038 Admiral
    A couple of good ones. Congrats!
  • gotsnodooksgotsnodooks New Smyrna Beach FlPosts: 128 Deckhand
    I didn't understand half of it but it sounded like a great sportscast!!!  
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,401 Officer

Great job guys!  And way to be safety oriented also!

-T

• Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 1,761 Captain
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,498 Officer
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,547 Captain
    Felt like I was there, great report and congrats!
  • SalempupSalempup Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Nice work, thanks for the report!
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,498 Officer
    started thinking about this again and that is a pretty sporty ride in 4-5 ft seas @ 3 seonds in a 23ft CC AND you didnt get wet???  WOW!!!  so you had to be pulling meat? or lures?  and did you notice a temp change at 150?  congrats again on a killer day with your fishin buddy!!
  • DivergentDivergent Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    started thinking about this again and that is a pretty sporty ride in 4-5 ft seas @ 3 seonds in a 23ft CC AND you didnt get wet???  WOW!!!  so you had to be pulling meat? or lures?  and did you notice a temp change at 150?  congrats again on a killer day with your fishin buddy!!
    High speed lures the entire time between 105 feet out to the ledge and back into 105. My transducer off the back transom  is broken so I’m using the old in Hull style that doesn’t read temp. Looked at SST charts from previous day and saw temps going up from 71 degrees at 105 feet all the way to the ledge. Made a couple passes on the mark but it was rough as hell on the turns so we tried to keep our path west to east and then back on the 270 to keep the spray off. Our max speed trolling back in was 12 knots for the best ride pulling lures. Inside 25 miles was not bad for the ride in on top of the 2-3 @ 3 seconds. Saw fliers in the 150 to 180. Thinking about changing my electronics so I can get CMOR mapping and chirp. 
  • plumber1969plumber1969 Posts: 307 Deckhand
    You have balls of steel my friend to be out there in that slop. I was in true 25-30 footers off the coast of Portugal once and off Nova Scotia back in the 80's.  
    2019 Frontier 2014 
  • pat8839pat8839 Posts: 85 Deckhand
    What a day! I gotta hand it to you, I have a 23ft Hydra-Sports walkaround with a single 225 hanging on it. I get scared when seas are over 2-3ft forecast. Sounds like I have a lot to learn!
    Thanks for sharing about your day! 
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,401 Officer
    Those old 23' open Contenders are Tanks!  We took ours out 60 miles plus a many of times back in the day.
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,500 Admiral
    Yes....those of us that have been doing it  along time, have been it stuff that we shouldn't have...mostly by accident, and not design.

A weekday trip, in a single engine, in nasty conditions is a recipe for disaster.....we've had too many searches over the years.....just sayin'

Good advise is to at least save the ledge trip days on days that you KNOW somebody will be in radio range. 

With that said, the background of those pictures ... the seas don''t look too bad. 

And nice couple of wahoos too.....!!
  • DivergentDivergent Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Sea Snake said:
    Yes....those of us that have been doing it  along time, have been it stuff that we shouldn't have...mostly by accident, and not design.

A weekday trip, in a single engine, in nasty conditions is a recipe for disaster.....we've had too many searches over the years.....just sayin'

Good advise is to at least save the ledge trip days on days that you KNOW somebody will be in radio range. 

With that said, the background of those pictures ... the seas don''t look too bad. 

And nice couple of wahoos too.....!!
    The pictures were taken in calmer waters once we came in to 23 miles out. Made it a lot easier to take the pics. 
    Float plans are always discussed with others before leaving the house and changes are communicated by inreach on the water. It also gives our exact location when we use it to the person we contact. Epirb within reach also. 
    Radio is always on and we talk to other captains in the area. Like how noaa missed the forecast that day. And letting them know where we hooked up.
    As for single engine being that far out. 10 plus years making ledge trips and farther out is what my boat was designed for. I have the fuel and knowledge to know what it can handle and how far I can go.  I also know when to turn back. We turned back last Tuesday because we knew it was the safe decision to make if it got worse. 
    I was there last year participating in the search with my crew looking for the lost firemen. Bad stuff can happen in calm waters or leaving the inlet on opposing wind and tides. 
    I survived not one but two motorcycles accidents because of other drivers not looking before entering traffic. I don’t ride anymore but I will fish when I can any day of the week.  

• Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,500 Admiral
    GOOD DEAL.....Sounds like you are a prudent fisherman, and have bases covered.

No offense to you, I was just throwing it out there in case others less experienced, had plans to temp fate.

Rock on !!
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 273 Deckhand
    Safe and effective. Know your gear and have the gear you need.  Congrats. 
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
  • cmhairecmhaire Posts: 118 Deckhand
    Great report! 
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,039 Captain
    Congrats on the hoo and thanks for the report!