Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Hybrid stripers

Where do you find hybrid stripers in the river?  Is the population strong enough to go and target them or are they just random catches?  Thanks.

Replies

• MikerobbMikerobb Posts: 45 Deckhand
    You can target them at the "Jetties" in Lake George. They are very thick there at times. 
  • OlddogOlddog Posts: 12 Deckhand
    Thanks.  I hear hybrids are in Santa Fe as well, but doesn't seem like many guys fish for them.  I thought at one point in time FWC stocked them in the St Johns.
    We catch them in the Orange Park area, but they can be difficult to pattern. We had one specific dock this past summer that held them for about a week. We had one trip where we caught 13 in under 15 minutes and left them biting. The following week, gone. We have been getting one just about each trip to the river, but can't find any numbers. 
  • SalempupSalempup Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    So how would you go about targeting them if you don’t mind me asking? I have always wanted to give it a try.
  • mcdukemcduke Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Night fishing the shadow line from the bridge lights at the Memorial bridge in Palatka. Cold temperatures the best
  • SalempupSalempup Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the tip mcduke!!
    To be honest, I don't really have a special way of targeting them. I just know a few areas that they hold from time to time. I look for them around the Bridges and few docks in the river. One thing I have found out is that we catch more with the bait off the bottom. We float fish for them or free line the bait. We have caught them on the bottom with jigs and fish finder rigs, but not as often. In my area, live shrimp has worked better for me than anything else we have tried. 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    Not always the case but what we've found over the years is that just as with stripers they too seem to more likely to feed where there is more current and at times in the tide when there is, whether this be docks or bridges.

Having said that I'll note that lots of them are caught in springs, the Croaker Hole Spring in Little Lake George being a good example. 

The mouth of the Ocklawaha when there is a lot of current and at sunrise can be productive, though the window is often VERY SHORT.

• TX21TX21 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Lake George produces.