Home General Fishing

Which Braid

2»

Replies

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    If I am fishing the flats for bones or pulling up a Big Amberjack off a wreck in 200 feet out of a kayak, it has to be SpiderWire Ultracast Invsis-Braid.
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 536 Officer
    I used three kinds of braids. Power pro, spiderwire, and trilene fireline. The problem I have with power pro is that I always get backlashes with it. I lose a lot of line when I cant get the tangles untangled. I never get backlashes with the fireline but it doesnt cast out as far because its alot more stiff. So, I guess I like the spiderwire the best. They are all good, just which ever one is more convenient for you.
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • DOADOA Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Fins and I won't throw anything else.
  • jewfish7jewfish7 Posts: 517 Officer
    hodgie2411 wrote: »
    I may be a minority but I recently had two reels spooled with the Spiderwire Ivisibraid. One has 20 lb the other is 30 lb. I have been really impressed with the invisibraid, it casts great and holds up to the big reds that we catch in Ponce Inlet. I recentelyput the Invsiabraid to the test in the Keys with a 40 plus pound Cobia and the line proved to be great.
    I do like the Invisibraid for its castablility however I can not commetn on its longevity wheres I have had it for only a few months......
    :Agree
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,405 Captain
    I started out with some Stren brand that was on sale during SA's big deal. It was actually ok. Went to PP and although I never really had any issues with it, I fried it by leaving my set-ups outside. I use Ohero now and I gotta say it definitely worth the couple extra bucks!
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    I am shocked at the responses, but we'll get to that in a minute. I've used sufix performance, 832, fins windtamer (I have a new jigging reel spooled with fins original, but I haven't fished it yet), diamond braid, PP red, and one other... I really like the sufix products even though I don't use my reel with the performance braid any more. The 832 is pretty sweet, but a bit pricy. Fins windtamer has never failed me, and at around $24 for a 300 yard spool, it's hard to beat. I was, and still am very disappointed in the daimond braid: I put it on a top-water set-up and I get wind knots very frequently, which does not happen on any of my other reels. In my experience, PP red is an interesting character: It's either strong enough to anchor a boat off, or it breaks at about 10 lbs (50 lb test).

Now let's get to the part that I'm shocked about, which is also the "one other" braid that I have tried. I am always looking for something new to try, and the next braid on my mind when buying my last set-up was the kanzen braid by seaguar. This stuff amazes me every time I make a cast with it. For starters, the 20lb was about 30% thinner than my fins windtamer. On my wright & mcgill sabaols 3500 reels I can get about 280 yds of 20lb windtamer on the spool. On the other hand, I can get all 300 yds of the 20lb kanzen on my reel with a lot of spool to spare. Next, the kanzen does not lose it's finish (at least after 2 months), and it is incredibly strong. I plan on buying a Daiwa ballistic 300 soon and I will be putting 300 yds of 10lb kanzen on it, and I don't think I will buy another braid.. Well, at least until the next one comes out ;)
    1970 23 Seabird