Home General Fishing

Which Braid

Redchaser1Redchaser1 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
Just curious as to which braid most of you guys are using. I fish inshore mostly for reds. I've tried power pro, spiderwire invisibraid and fins xpt & windtamer. Someone recommended Suffix Performance braid. They said it's better than any of the others. Just wondering what you guys use or recommend.

Thanks

Replies

• DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Deckhand
    You are going to get five million different answers. It's almost like asking what is your favorite ice cream flavour. You need to find one that you like better than the others. Personally I'm running Suffix 832 on one reel, PowerPro on a second and Momoi Diamond Braid on a third. For me I like the feel of the Suffix 832. I find it a little less waxy than the PowerPro and Momoi. I've been meaning to try Fins XS since I've heard it is an eight strand braid. Best of luck to you.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,352 Officer
    I have used Power pro for years and have spider wire Stealth on my jigging rod and like it more than PPro.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,794 Captain
    Sufix performance braid, better than anything else I've used. Holds up pretty well in very bad places (I particularly use it working around downed trees along the coast of the 'Glades.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    Switched from mono to Power Pro about 5 years ago, no complaints.
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,377 Captain
    I use suffix performance braid mostly. Some JB1 and cortland master braid on a few rigs, but mostly suffix. For inshore use I shop mostly by diameter, and have yet to find anything comperable to the 6lb.
  • Angler SystemsAngler Systems Posts: 919 Officer
    Redchaser1 wrote: »
    Just curious as to which braid most of you guys are using. I fish inshore mostly for reds. I've tried power pro, spiderwire invisibraid and fins xpt & windtamer. Someone recommended Suffix Performance braid. They said it's better than any of the others. Just wondering what you guys use or recommend.
    Thanks

Which of the braids you have used to you like the best?

I'm into Fins and Daiwa Samurai right now, great stuff.
  • reeladventuresreeladventures Posts: 304 Deckhand
    I always use 10 lb yellow power pro. I have personally never had a problem with it and I love it. Looks good on my stradics too. I did try cajin one time, but absolutely hated it.
    2015 Hewes Redfisher18
  • hodgie2411hodgie2411 Posts: 244 Deckhand
    I may be a minority but I recently had two reels spooled with the Spiderwire Ivisibraid. One has 20 lb the other is 30 lb. I have been really impressed with the invisibraid, it casts great and holds up to the big reds that we catch in Ponce Inlet. I recentelyput the Invsiabraid to the test in the Keys with a 40 plus pound Cobia and the line proved to be great.
    I do like the Invisibraid for its castablility however I can not commetn on its longevity wheres I have had it for only a few months......
  • rapchizzlerapchizzle Posts: 104 Deckhand
    I like the Momoi Diamond braid for everything except my jigging rod. It's got 80 lb Izorline from the fella I bought it from and I've been very pleased with it. The Izorline is very smooth, moreso than the Momoi I believe. Both seem to be good quality and I don't have any complaints.
  • PhishingPhanaticPhishingPhanatic Posts: 457 Deckhand
    For inshore fishing on 2500-3000 size reels I use 10 lb Powerpro, diameter of 2 lb mono, never had a problem with wind knots and I suspect it breaks much higher then 10 lbs. For offshore use and vertical jigging, I only use Jerry Brown spectra, I love their heavier line.
  • esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
    There are a lot of braids that have been around for a while and many new ones. Two of the new ones are the Berkley Nanofil, and PowerPro Super 8 Slick. These 2 are of interest because they are different then many others.
    The Berkley Nanofil isn't a braid but a gel spun line. The PowerPro seems to resemble Sufix 832.
    Most braids are not that much different. Sufix 832, Spiderwire Invisi Braid and Fireline are different then many others.

It is up to the individual person to find whinch one they like, have confidence in and then stick with it. Sort of like Chevy or Ford................

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

• Redchaser1Redchaser1 Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the info guys. I have used the Invisibraid and agree about the castability..........it really flys. I have used power pro and don't particularly care for it. I have used Fins and lost distance on the cast plus it tends to fray after a short period of use.

Any one else have an opinion?
  • sonnysonny Posts: 283 Officer
    Right now I use suffix performance fuse #14 thinking of swithching to #8 or #10 maybe it will cast farther.
  • fishNswimfishNswim Posts: 28 Deckhand
    Both the Sufix Performance and Sufix 832 braids have been working great for me. Have been using the 10# with no wind knots and line/leader and terminal knots hold very well. The color retention could probably be a little better, but I don't think it makes a huge difference.
    ~In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty~
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    been using fins most of this year. Happy with it so far.
    I have used Invisibraid, love the casting distance and it holds up; used Power Pro, don't care for it at all; used Fins, can't get casting distance and it frays bad. Haven't used the Suffix but it is highly recommended so just trying to get info. Basically I'm down to Invisibraid or Suffix.
  • flvol77flvol77 Posts: 261 Officer
    Daiwa Samurai isn't cheap but its on 6 of my spinning reels and then I have Invisibraid on my other four spinners. Samurai casts a mile, I think its more durable than Invisibraid. I also have Metered Samurai on my jigging reels. I have become a huge fan of Daiwa stuff lately as I have moved almost exclusively over to Daiwa reels and braid.

I am backing my trolling reels with Sufix performance, I got a heck of a deal on it and I have heard good stuff about it.
    We are not creatures of circumstance; we are creators of circumstance.

Benjamin Disraeli
  • BillABillA Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I use Momoi Diamond Braid on all of my conventionals. Should I be embarrassed to admit that it's mainly because I like the pretty blue color?
  • MoondawgMoondawg Posts: 214 Officer
    I started using PP in the late 90's/2000 and switched to Spiderwire Stealth about 6 months ago. I do prefer the spiderwire so far as it still looks, feels and performs like it was brand new and it's had heavy usage. PP adds their coating after the threads are braided, Spiderwire adds the coating to each thread and then braids it. I'm going to get spiderwire on the rest of my reels when the time comes. Spiderwire was so bad years ago that they got a pretty bad reputation, I think they should have changed the name because it's night and day with the new stuff..
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads
  • Capt George GozdzCapt George Gozdz Posts: 630 Officer
    SpiderWire Ultracast Invisibraid is great stuff. Doesn't wind knot, ties great, highly visible, and lasts a long time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Capt. George Gozdz
    Host "Reel Time with Florida Sportsman"
    www.floridasportsman.com/rtfs

Flatlined Charters
    www.flatlinedcharters.com
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,247 Captain
    Inshore...I'm fishing ONLY artificials, from a kayak, my choice is the one that has worked best when constantly casting. In that application, 14# test Berkley "Fireline" has outperformed a couple of others I've tried.
    If you're a "meatsoaker"...it don't matter.
    Capt George, you said the exact same thing that I have been saying. I guess I am looking to see if anyone has fished the Invisibraid and the Suffix Performance braid both and which performed best. Never tried Fireline. Would be interested in hearing what other two it outperformed Guido. Artificial bait is all I use. Was leaning toward the Suffix since it's a little less expensive but now leaning back toward the Invisibraid.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,184 Admiral
    I'm using both on identical reels and far more enjoy fishing with the Suffix Performance.
    Hey Split Shot, are you getting the same or better distance with the Suffix vs the Invisibraid? How about durability? You are doing exactly what I had hoped to find someone doing.

Thanks,
    I feel like I'm getting better distance since the Suffix seems to be my go to reel. I think it also more abrasive resistance and def better on the knots. Down side for some is it's a little noisier. Big deal.
    Personally I wont buy the invisabraid. I first seen it fishing with an ole friend in the 10K and I liked the looks of it, but turned out to be about all. Mind you it's not that bad of line just disappointed compared to the Suffix. Tuff stuff! and zero wind knots. I have a Daiwa 4000 with 30lb. Super Stren for chunking and I like it once the coating come off. It's also very tough.
    Very Helpful SS. Thanks. You've confirmed what someone else told me. As for any damage to my guides, there is none that I can find even looking at them under magnification. I am really glad none of you guys have had fraying problems with the Fins. I know a guy that fishes fresh water bass tournaments and he had the fraying problem so bad that he removed all the Fins and went to the Suffix. And, he was on the Fins "Pro Staff".
  • Hudson3DHudson3D Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    After reading this whole thread its clear to me that there are a LOT of quality braids! Seems most have a favorite but for the most part any of the ones mentioned here will work well for me.
    It becomes more critical when you begin to finess fish, and throwing light plugs into wind etc. I'm also lacking experience with heavy deep jigging braids, where I'm using power pro right now.
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Hudson3D hit the nail on the head ! I always used Ande mono on my reels for years -- and when using 8 pound test it required me to change it at least three times a year. My fishing buddy was using a plug casting reel, and this guy is fishing EVERY weekend !! I asked him "Mike, how offen do you change your line?". He looked at me kind of funny and said "well, i have never changed this line since i bought this reel!" -- looking at the reel i doubted that i heard him correctly??? "What kind of line is that?" . "Spiderwire" he said.. I, and i'm thinking mant others posting here, cannot give you a good comparison in different manufacturers products, because once you put this new braid on a reel -- it will outlast the reel !! I have eight plug casters and they all have "spiderwire" on them and the line has never been changed on any of them. Been using them, and i must admit, on fish beyond the reel's design, without a problem. I use the 30 pound green braid with the diameter of 6 pound test mono. There are smaller diameter lines - but i can work with this line diameter during an occassional backlash -- anything smaller i feel would give me a fit -- make me bring my glasses fishing ???