Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

need some help deep dropping first timer

reelthunderreelthunder port everglades Posts: 291 Deckhand
So wife bought me a tanacom 1000 for Christmas i have been wanting to start deep dropping to open up the dinner menu beyond the normal dolphin, wahoo, tuna and king fish choices that are presently on the menu I have never deep dropped before except for in the pacific for rock cod many years ago as a teen lots of reeling is what i remember . 1st what size braided line should i have put on that will work for the wide verity of fishing that is done deep dropping . 2nd how many weights should i purchase to start out 2lb 5 lb ??? 3rd rigs, hook sizes should they be circle hooks makes since to me but what do i know and last for now baits different fish different baits? I know their are a bunch of you deep droppers on this forum anything that you can help me with i would be very grateful for.  I have been fishing since i was 5 i am 55 years older now and i am fully aware that the wisdom of an experienced fisherman equals fish in the box and the avoidance of make stupid mistakes that can get costly...  

Replies

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,892 Captain
    You can pick up some info here. A lot of the fish are more depth specific than location.
    So what people share from other locations will usually work at similar depths in your area if you fish same type bottom. Some species like mud or mud to sand edges or transitions. Others prefer some type of structure or hard bottom.

• plasteredplastered Posts: 636 Officer
    So wife bought me a tanacom 1000 for Christmas i have been wanting to start deep dropping to open up the dinner menu beyond the normal dolphin, wahoo, tuna and king fish choices that are presently on the menu I have never deep dropped before except for in the pacific for rock cod many years ago as a teen lots of reeling is what i remember . 1st what size braided line should i have put on that will work for the wide verity of fishing that is done deep dropping . 2nd how many weights should i purchase to start out 2lb 5 lb ??? 3rd rigs, hook sizes should they be circle hooks makes since to me but what do i know and last for now baits different fish different baits? I know their are a bunch of you deep droppers on this forum anything that you can help me with i would be very grateful for.  I have been fishing since i was 5 i am 55 years older now and i am fully aware that the wisdom of an experienced fisherman equals fish in the box and the avoidance of make stupid mistakes that can get costly...  
    We use 100lb braid hooks 13s and 5 lb rebar .I buy my braid
    on ebay for 30.00 fills my Krystal also i buy my water activated 
    lights on Ebay 1.35 per light we like green or blue.I just did some
    stucco for the owner of Pilot steel he cut me 37 weights,beats
    the hell out of buying lead.
    Next north wind and your out give a call on
    the radio i will steer you in the right direction.
    We do drop with wind out of other directions
    but anything from north holds you against current.
  • b1gdog83b1gdog83 Posts: 289 Deckhand
    I use 65lb braid as the thinner the diameter of braid the less drag against the current.  As Plastered said North wind are the best days to drop as it stems your drift with the gulf stream. I also get rebar from Pilot Steel.  Get the #11 rebar as that size will fit in your rod holders. A foot of #11 rebar weighs 5.31 lbs. You can do your calculations from there.  I usually have my rebar cut in 12 inches and 18 inches which gives me 5lb and 8lb weights to use depending on how fast I'm drifting.  Tie a short section of 50lb mono from your weight to where you connect it to your rig. That way if your weight gets hung on bottom that will break off first and you won't lose your whole rig.
    plastered said:
    I buy my braid on ebay for 30.00 
    What brand braid are using?  I've been looking for the cheaper knock of braid on ebay also as I want to give them a shot instead of spending hundreds of $$ to fill my spool.
    I have used different brands spectra  hercules 1000 meters
    1094 yards under 30 bucks.Only downfall comes from China
    and takes 3 weeks.I always keep a couple spools on hand.
    Shipping free.
  • reelthunderreelthunder port everglades Posts: 291 Deckhand
    thanks for the info i am in the building trade and have access to rebar that's a great heads up !  will take you up on that call to plastered thanks again
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,598 AG
    Rebar will work but it can leave rust spots on the boat, call around to a few boat yards that work on bigger boats and see if you can find a drive shaft that got replaced Weld a stainless washer and go fishing
    Thank you dragon bait for the suggestion will keep an eye out if the opportunity presents it self will take advantage of it. But for now i have secured about 5 12 ft pieces of number 10 rebar off my site left over form the shell work so that part of the equipment is handled for a while i am guessing . have a question for plastered how do you secure the bar to your rig do you weld a washer on it or rap tie wire around it to make a loop to connect too  
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,598 AG
    edited January 2020 #11
    Thank you dragon bait for the suggestion will keep an eye out if the opportunity presents it self will take advantage of it. But for now i have secured about 5 12 ft pieces of number 10 rebar off my site left over form the shell work so that part of the equipment is handled for a while i am guessing . have a question for plastered how do you secure the bar to your rig do you weld a washer on it or rap tie wire around it to make a loop to connect too  
    Weld a washer to it is what we always did, 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,788 AG

You can take some heavy (300#+) mono and make a loop and squeeze it on the rebar with a cheap hose clamp. Never had one fail. You can also slide a cheap swivel on the heavy mono before you secure it to the rebar. Tie your breakaway line to the swivel. If you have access to a welder than the washer method or a chain link cut in half works great.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

dragon bait said:
    Rebar will work but it can leave rust spots on the boat, call around to a few boat yards that work on bigger boats and see if you can find a drive shaft that got replaced Weld a stainless washer and go fishing
    To keep the rust off the boat wrap the rebar in duck tape
    I use flex seal works great no rust.
  • jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 165 Deckhand
    Tool dip the rebar if you are worried about rust. 
    plastered said:
    Do you spray it on or dip it?
    b1gdog83 said:
    plastered said:
    Do you spray it on or dip it? I hang the weights and spray on.
    thank for all the info i was going to use flex seal i have use it on my tilt motors when i replaced them it really works i haven't had rust on them in years since i did it also i have a drill press i am going to drill hole through the re bar and put wire leader with crimp on it to create a loop to connect it to breakaway with swivel thanks again .