Home Angler On Foot

New to Fort Lauderdale

DanglesDangles Posts: 29 Deckhand
Hey Yall,

I moved from the west coast of FL to the Fort Lauderdale this summer, I've been doing alot of pond/ ditch hopping but I really wanna find some place to fish saltwater. Does anyone wade/shore fish saltwater over here? I haven't been able to find may good spots that are not a pier. I don't want your secret spot or anything just a place where I can get out and walk around some mangroves and throw a fly around. I usually wet wade but I have some hunting waders I could wear if its cold. 

Thanks

Replies

• SurfcasterSurfcaster Posts: 30 Greenhorn
    I walk the beaches in Hollywood and Dania Beach before or after the lifeguards are there and cast lures or use my fly rod.
  • Mangrove magnetMangrove magnet Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I’d agree with surfcaster the beaches are gonna be your best bet. I know it’s not saltwater but the canals in west Broward have space to throw a fly and you never know what you’re gonna catch from tarpon and snook to peacocks and bass. Steadier action IMO
  • DanglesDangles Posts: 29 Deckhand
    ill try the beach, it just doesnt seem the same as sight fishing on the beach on the gulf coast. I've been trying some of the canals like out by markham park but didnt have much luck. 
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 234 Deckhand
    Take some shiners out to Markham Park and find the fish, then switch to artificials once you have picked up on their location and ambush points. Caught my first Tarpon their as a kid way back when there was a thing there called a zoo. LoL. Anyone remember the Markham Park Zoo?
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Good info here thus far.... I spent about 8 years in that area before I moved to the Tampa bay area (Sarasota). Wade fishing spots are far and few. Personally, I just drove N to the Indian River to get my fix of inshore wading (reds, snook, etc). The beach fishing for snook is good, but you got about 4 months before that kicks in high gear. If I were you, Id learn that canal system in Broward as others suggested. That was my "fix" while i was there.  Everything from tarpon to peacocks, throw in snook, and if you venture N a bit to West Palm, you can get in on Clown Knive fish and sunshine bass from shore.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    PS..... A kayak will open up worlds of opportunities in the New River canal system.
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Wading down south is tough man. But me and my buddy used to tear up the tarpon around bridges and marinas. We’d troll yozuri minnows...troll them and hook up to tarpon, snook, big ole mangroves and grouper! It was crazy. That was the only thing I liked about laudi. Hahah you couldn’t pay me to live there god bless ya.

as stated. A kayak might open up your world. But for wading around mangroves the Indian River or heading down to the keys to hit some spots is probably your best bet. Get on google maps man.

have at it

Mike

[email protected]