Home General Hunting

Ladder Stand Suggestions

josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 528 Officer
Looking for some suggestions or considerations to make for a decent ladder stand.

Looking to spend under $200 for the stand its self. Will buy straps and locks as needed separately.
Have been looking at the two below. They leave a bit to be desired however seem decent for the price points. The cheaper of the two will need some sort of back support fashioned and attached so that is a consideration as well. Might just spend the little extra to save time/effort for customizing the cheaper one.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-18039-2-person-ladder-tree-stand?a=1895324

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/game-winner-2-man-ladder-treestand-20#repChildCatid=7173569

I appreciate any input y'all can give me. 

Replies

• GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 228 Deckhand
    I have one of the stands in the sportsman's guide link. It is a two person stand in name only. It is very tight even for one person and I'm only 5'10". The shooting rail is entirely too low. I like a shooting rail that is about mid-chest height so you have a stead support for your rifle. That being said, it is cheap and easy to stand up, even by yourself. I do like that the shooting rail flips up, makes getting in and out easier. It has been out in the woods for three years and has minimal surface rust in spots. 

I use black tape around the ladder sections to keep the pins from rattling while you climb up. For a back rest, I just strap a cushion to the tree. 
  • buckfeverbuckfever Posts: 164 Deckhand
    $100-$200 gander and academy stands last me about 2 years before they rust apart.  Get a family traditions or millennium and don't look back.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,371 Captain
    edited December 2019 #4
    Had very good luck with the academy two man stands. I'm a 300 lb big block, and my son and I have been comfortable hunting together out of them for years. I occasionally prop up the rest to give some height but it's unnecessary for me to be honest.

Buy them on sale and you can't go wrong, but I will say, the older models seem more comfortable for some reason. Having said that, I have found that the "angle of the dangle" has much more to do with comfort than anything else. They are quiet enough and generally get the job done nicely without spending your first borns college fund. 
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 82 Deckhand
    I have put up 6 of that same one from Sportsmanguide in last 4 years.  They used to be sold at Walmart for $69 delivered after the hunting season.  I lost 2 of them in hurricane Irma when trees fell but 3 are still up and working well.  They are not as high as some other ones as the foot platform is 15' from ground.  When I assemble them I spray primer on all the joints and holes where pins go in and it helps to prevent rust.  I spray primer on any spot where rust starts.  I also use UV resistant ratchet straps instead of the cheap factory ones and I use 2 instead of just one for safety.  Seat cushion and back sucks so I made my own from closed cell foam and it's okay.  I plan on putting up one or two more this year.          
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 209 Deckhand
    Yes - get em on sale.  I don't see a lot of difference except height.

If you don't mind a 12-13 ft stand, the sales at Walmart and such after the season are the times to get them.

When you put them together, use some rustoleum and spray any spots with bare or scratched metal, inside the tubes, and when you set em up, angle them just a tad - Mak has it.  Will keep water from running down the tube and rusting.  Should last 5+ years.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 528 Officer
    Some really good suggestions here!

The primer on the holes
    Angling a bit for run off
    UV Straps
    All great suggestions that could add to its lifespan easily.

I have been thinking about a 2 man stand, not to actually hold two men but for a little breathing room. I've had good luck with Academy Sports over the years and the Sportsman guide doesn't seem terrible but maybe little more lower end then I'd prefer. I'm 5'10" 180# so not physically the biggest guy. 
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 475 Deckhand
    Wait till after season and pick them up for about 45-60 at Walmart 
    Agreed, wait for a sale. For the price there's no reason to spend similar money on a one man stand, in my opinion. That's what I have a climber for.

I'm no longer fit as a fiddle and I can still move these two man stands around the woods like sister Sarah's mule so the weight is pretty manageable, for me at least. Don't forget to shim the shooting rest on the sides with a twig if you need to raise it for your shooting preferences. 
    Shims... another great idea. These suggestions are exactly why I asked y'all. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,166 Captain
    edited December 2019 #11
    Definitely paint them as others have stated. Makes a big difference how much life you get out of them. 
    All my tree stands are 2 man size too as they don't cost much more than one man size and the extra weight capacity and size makes them more versatile.

edited December 2019 #13
    And yet, don't forget to check em, and the straps... every year...  real good! Everything has a shelf life, including the stands. If it's broken, fix it. If it's rotted out or sun damaged, replace it. It would be bad news to hear someone on here (or anyone) got hurt from falling out of a ratty tree stand because they were too negligent, lazy, or cheap to inspect, fix, or replace something. It happens every year and none of us are bullet proof. You'd be surprised how high 10-15 feet really is when you're having a uncontrolled descent.... Oh and in case you don't know, check the tree itself. Don't set it up on a dead tree and move the stand if a tree becomes jacked up for some reason.
    Most of these lower priced tree stands comes with regular ratchet straps instead of UV resistant ones.  Regular ones will deuterate within couple months.  UV resistant ones will last more than a year but I always replace mine once a year and for safety I use a second strap.
  • Flhunter57Flhunter57 Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Like Big Mak stated,  make sure you set up on a good live solid tree and check out the trees within falling distance of your stand.  Nothing like having a dead tree or limb fall close to you to heighten the senses!
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,670 Admiral
    edited December 2019 #16
    Bet I've got a Dozen Sportsman Guide cheapos in the woods now.
    Maintence time is soon here. Ride to all of them and cut shooting lanes , Spray Undercoating about every where , Oil Straps..That I'll replace soon anyways. Straps are Cheap , ER Visit...Not so much.
    My old junk ones end up being 4 to 5 Ft' Death Traps in Low spots where I just need to see over the grass.
    I get 3 or so years out of them Full height.
    Where are you putting the Stands is the Big question..
    Family Land you'll have forever ?
    Cheap Lease you just got 
    If it's Long Term..I'd go for Family Traditions , Summit . $350 to $400 each but with care your good for years....just sayin.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    edited December 2019 #17
    Where are you putting the Stands is the Big question..
    Family Land you'll have forever ?
    Cheap Lease you just got 
    If it's Long Term..I'd go for Family Traditions , Summit . $350 to $400 each but with care your good for years....just sayin.
    Public.... so not investing much. If it was private I'd be more apt to investing more for a Summit or FT. 
  • GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 228 Deckhand
    Why not just use a climber? 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 209 Deckhand
    I use a Primos Trigger Stick as a gun rest when in stands - those rails are a joke.

If on public you'll be moving it in and out cause you can't leave em long term - use a deer cart and make sure to check your straps.

Climbers or sticks & lock-on are reasonable to use too.  I only do a Quota hunt or two each year and will use a climber or Millenium 100U (lawn chair sized seat) to hunt out of.  Do prefer the ladder stands but too much effort for a 3-day hunt.
    Missed said:
    I use a Primos Trigger Stick as a gun rest when in stands - those rails are a joke.

If on public you'll be moving it in and out cause you can't leave em long term - use a deer cart and make sure to check your straps.

Climbers or sticks & lock-on are reasonable to use too.  I only do a Quota hunt or two each year and will use a climber or Millenium 100U (lawn chair sized seat) to hunt out of.  Do prefer the ladder stands but too much effort for a 3-day hunt.
    Solid advice. Some of the guys that hunt with me use the trigger stick to prop up the rest. I don't because I try to schlep around light, without unnecessary (to me) items.

If you're inclined to use lock on stands and sticks, go for it. I stopped that about 20 years ago though. It's just not for me. For me it's ladders, climbers, and ground sitting, although I still want to get up to Arts and run with his dogs one week with my son.  What I hunt from will depend on where I'm hunting, hunt length and what my scouting efforts have revealed. To be honest, a climber or a chair are pretty hard to beat on the typical FL public land hunt.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,774 Admiral
    Consider how EASY....or not.....it will be to take down and store. What we see a lot......and it is frustrating as I end up having to take them down!......is that folks will buy them and then decide it's to much trouble to pull them down and take them home.

This kind of argues for a single rather than a double and maybe.....just maybe the cost of a good aluminum one that will last a LONG TIME......if you are going to take it down.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,650 Captain
    edited December 2019 #22
    Best public land ladders I ever saw were ones some guys I know built out of conduit. Came apart in 2 or 3 pieces, had bicycle wheels attached to them at the top.  Wheel them in and set up. If you shot a Deer or Hog they became your game cart. Wheel them out. Palm Beach boys genius.
    Pinman said:
    Best public land ladders I ever saw were ones some guys I know built out of conduit. Came apart in 2 or 3 pieces, had bicycle wheels attached to them at the top.  Wheel them in and set up. If you shot a Deer or Hog they became your game cart. Wheel them out. Palm Beach boys genius.
    Those were the best!