Skip to main content
Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Stuart to Islamorada by Boat

Hello all...

Looking at running the boat (26' CC w/ twin 200's) from Stuart down to the Keys in April/May. Obviously, if I can run outside, I will, but the weather is the usual wild card. If we can't run outside, then we'll have to run the ditch the whole way. Here's my questions...

I'm figuring it is about 165 miles to the Islamorada area via the Intercoastal. If we need to stop along the way (at least at or south of Ft. Lauderdale) for the night, any suggestions on where? Obviously need dockage and a room.

Any suggestions on places to stop along the way to get a bite to eat?

Thanks for any/all input...

Banchi
Sgt. Thomas Baitinger...EOW January 24, 2011...I miss you every day my friend...

Replies

• Aquaholic IVAquaholic IV Posts: 1,015 Officer
    I ran a small bay boat up the intercoastal from Port Everglades to the St. Lucie River in about 5 hours as a result of the idle speed zones.  There is plenty of fuel all along the way.  It was a brand new boat that I bought down there and wanted to do it for the challenge and also to get the break in completed.  It was a great trip.  Going South of Fort Lauderdale might be an issue for a hotel that is boater friendly.  Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay is an upscale hotel on the water with a marina, I wouldn't leave gear on the boat, you are not in Stuart.  You might check and see if Bayside has a hotel or Intercontinental Miami.  There is a Marriot Hollywood Beach across the street from the ICW and they might have a marina.  There are plenty of upscale restaurants along the way although Monty's in Dinner Key is more casual and well known. In Hollywood, there is Capone's Flickerlite Pizza.  Those are just a few that comes to mind, I previously lived in that area.  There might be a hotel near Dinner Key.  I personally, would try to make an early run of it and go non stop.  Another option that I recommend, which my neighbor just did yesterday is hire someone to trailer your boat down there for you.  You meet them at Sandsprit Park, they have their own trailer and they deliver and pick up your boat for you.  If interested, I can call my neighbor who is in the Keys now and get his information.  Also, a guy who worked at Outboards Only in Rio transports boats frequently.  If you call Outboards Only Chris or Phil can get you his name and number.  
  • banchibanchi Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Thanks for the info...this is a "just for fun" trip, so not necessarily in a hurry, but don't want to spend entire day idling along.  Also hoping to run outside if weather allows, but just looking to get an idea of what to expect time-wise if I can't get outside.  It's a round-trip too, so looking at planning for stops if needed.

Banchi

Sgt. Thomas Baitinger...EOW January 24, 2011...I miss you every day my friend...