Home General Hunting

Small game season with versatile hunting dogs

bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain

So far...one pig, one rabbit - 1 missed rabbit, 2 dove, 3 quail - 7 missed quail (about 7 separate coveys) and have had no opportunity for woodcock or snipe. Lots of seed ticks. 

Been a lot of fun so far. Lots of walking, good friends and happy dogs.

A tired GSP is a well behaved one. 

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,998 Captain
    Good stuff man!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    Thank you. 👍🏻
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,736 AG
    Nice ! 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,498 Officer
    Good looking GSP’s ! Fun times had by all!..👌
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,374 Captain
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,774 Admiral
    Man evolved with dog........................perfect!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,590 Admiral
    Amazing what dogs will do to please you. If only the wives....... I will leave it at that.

Nice post cyclist.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• PinmanPinman Posts: 2,650 Captain
    LOL at your dog sleeping in the car seat.  Looks familiar and is part of a hard day of hunting. 
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,393 Captain
    edited December 2019 #10
    Fantastic report.  Love the in-field pictures. 

Talk about...

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,429 AG
    nice.. very nice
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Big Mak said:
    Very nice!
    so what would you do in SC if one crossed property lines onto your lease?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,066 Officer
    Great pics and report! Thank you for sharing!
    edited December 2019 #14
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Big Mak said:
    Very nice!
    Depends, but the collar would likely save it's life as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not so much with others I know. See the other thread for explanation.

I've only had to shoot one dog and it was my neighbors here in FL. It was done after ample warning, and it did in fact have a collar. 

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,107 Captain
    edited December 2019 #15
    Very cool. I recognize that hog field. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    Big Mak said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Big Mak said:
    Very nice!
    Depends, but the collar would likely save it's life as far as I'm concerned. Maybe not so much with others I know. See the other thread for explanation.

I've only had to shoot one dog and it was my neighbors here in FL. It was done after ample warning, and it did in fact have a collar. 

did it attack you or yours?
  • James243James243 Posts: 790 Officer
    Very cool. I recognize that hog field. 
    I think I might also. 
    Yes, a couple of mine, and my things.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,107 Captain
    I just popped my neighbor’s pitbull in the butt from 60 yards while hooking up my boat with my Son’s Red Ryder that happened to be in the back seat of my truck. Smoked him good too, lol. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 479 Deckhand
    Looks like a lot of fun and I really recognize the tired dogs.  :smiley:  Curious as to what you do about the ticks ??  I had fits with ticks on my Black Lab years ago.  Seems like I spent my life puillng the d-m--d things off him and his heavy coat made a real job of it.
    gogittum said:
    Looks like a lot of fun and I really recognize the tired dogs.  :smiley:  Curious as to what you do about the ticks ??  I had fits with ticks on my Black Lab years ago.  Seems like I spent my life puillng the d-m--d things off him and his heavy coat made a real job of it.
    We use nextguard when needed, which us when the dogs spend a lot of time in the woods.  Mostly for ticks, we don't have fleas. Nothing like waking up to a hundred seed ticks in the bed. Most were dead but not all. My wife was a real trooper. Ticks in bed, on couch, in car. Whew. Only was bit 3 or 4 times.
    Big Mak said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Big Mak said:
    Very nice!

did it attack you or yours?
    edited December 2019 #23
    Big Mak said:
    Yes, a couple of mine, and my things.
    I guess Art missed this post so here it is again....  I even handed the owner the collar back, without his dog. So now you know.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,761 Captain
    edited December 2019 #24
    Wonderful Cyclist

A favorite memory is squirrel hunt via canoe and my Lab.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,374 Admiral
    Cool stuff cyclist. 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • 2times2times AlvaPosts: 82 Deckhand
    I saw a pair of GSP last year out in the field with something that looked like gaitors or chaps made of cloth on all 4 legs and a vest that coveted their belly.  I was curious so asked the owner and he said the material had Permethrin and was designed to keep ticks off.  He and his wife had made the stuff and was testing it out.

• Grove1Grove1 Posts: 70 Deckhand
    How do the GSPs help with the hogs? Do they point? Chase and bay? Catch? Great pics....
    Grove1 said:
    How do the GSPs help with the hogs? Do they point? Chase and bay? Catch? Great pics....
    Well they are great bay dogs. My older one has bayed several. But not what I wanted, so bought a shock collar. I use old double barrels with 2.5 shells and I knew at some point he would tangle with a big boar I couldn't take down. But now he points pigs in the thick stuff. Doesn't try and tangle with them. He acts different than with birds, but sometimes you never know what will flush. I just don't want them to get hurt.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,774 Admiral
    bicyclist said:
    Grove1 said:
    Well they are great bay dogs. My older one has bayed several. But not what I wanted, so bought a shock collar. I use old double barrels with 2.5 shells and I knew at some point he would tangle with a big boar I couldn't take down. But now he points pigs in the thick stuff. Doesn't try and tangle with them. He acts different than with birds, but sometimes you never know what will flush. I just don't want them to get hurt.bicyclist said:
    Grove1 said:
    Well they are great bay dogs. My older one has bayed several. But not what I wanted, so bought a shock collar. I use old double barrels with 2.5 shells and I knew at some point he would tangle with a big boar I couldn't take down. But now he points pigs in the thick stuff. Doesn't try and tangle with them. He acts different than with birds, but sometimes you never know what will flush. I just don't want them to get hurt.
    You get a lot of respect from this corner for the obvious effort with the dogs! And the 2.5 shells.....I want to see the old shotguns!