Home General Hunting

What Do You Do When

Replies

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,154 Captain
    edited January 4 #62
    ANUMBER1 said:
    if y'all think dogs run game completely off then you're just ignorant.

There wouldn't be a another deer killed in ONF two weeks past the start of GG if that was the case...
    I grew up running my older brother’s beagles back in Virginia up until 21 yrs ago. Those dogs had no quit in them and we would have to sleep in the truck for up to two weeks at a time to hear a beagle finally circle a deer back in our direction close enough to call them off. Saw a herd of over 100 deer one night cross in front of us in the middle of a cornfield while the dog was a week lost pushing them out the swamp. Deer would always circle eventually. Always found it funny how comfortable the deer were with beagles. In the snow, you could see tracks where deer would toy  with the dogs. Ton of respect for those dogs. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,125 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:

There wouldn't be a another deer killed in ONF two weeks past the start of GG if that was the case...
    Totally agree with this part. I've never had a issue with dogs especially the hunting kind.  Music to my ears actually. Over at ONF last few weeks at this new spot I been checking out I'm right on dog hunting line  One side of the road is dog hunting other side isnt. Talked to quite a few of dog hunters lately and showed them picture of this buck I got and they all chuckled. Guess they know him well just never get a shot. Funny part is they say he gets run out of dog hunt area about every weekend. One guy actually showed me a picture of buck same day this pic was taken but 1.5 hours earlier a good mile into dog hunt side. If it bothered deer much at all hed never go back but probably crosses road again once sun goes down that night 
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 580 Officer
    Just busting your chops A1
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,244 Officer
    We run the same bucks repeatedly out of the same woods. They come back to their hangouts shortly after and we run them a day or so later. Occasionally a buck gets taken by a still hunter as he makes his way back to his hangout. Still hunter just thinks they got lucky or are a great hunter. It’s all good.
    Right your either lucky or good, not sure if theres any other options to the equation. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,307 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:

We’re talking about dogs that live as coyotes and run deer 24/7 and catch and kill said deer. Its not the same as packs of trained hunting dogs that run large parcels for set periods of time under the control of their masters. 

On the South Carolina piece we used to hunt there was a feral pack that would regularly kill deer and charge hunters that would walk up on them. And if you killed one, you better kill all of them that are in eyesight of what you done, because the survivors would camp out on you and try to catch you when you’d climb down. 

Feral domestics are no joke. They’re the worst between domestic dogs and wolves. The killer instinct of the latter and the lack of fear of man of the former.  
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,607 AG
    I'm 59 and have hunted 51 years from SW Ga down to Citrus county Fl.

I have never seen a pack of feral dogs in the wood nor have I ever felt threatened by any dog I have ever encountered while hunting.

I have encountered hunting dogs and some neighbor mutts in those years but never packs of feral dogs.

some of y'all sound ascairt to walk to the **** mailbox.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    are these the same wraiths that sneak into homes at night and steal sleeping infants breath?

or is that another fable?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 320 Deckhand
    Bullfrog, 25 years ago...I was in a lease in middle Georgia that had a group of feral dogs on it. Several of the neighbors had goats, calves and other livestock killed but not not all were eaten. One guy said he had 8 goats killed in one day.  Our land owner said he saw them catching one of his calfs. he fired a shotgun and they ran off. I was in a stand and had a pack of 7 or 8 trail me to bottom of tree, no collars..they growled and circled tree, I stood and waved at them, they would not leave till I shot twice. Others in the area also had the same experience with them trailing them to their stands. 
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,354 Officer
    Heres my problem with dog hunting and hunting dogs running across property lines. I hunt In Steinhatchee and my backyard. In steinhatchee there is no shortage of dog hunters. Our lease is bordered by dog hunters. Ive had dogs run deer and hogs right across my stand and feeder. Guess what, my morning or evening hunt is now blown. Multiple times. We catch the dogs if we are able too, and dump them in a run down pen where the dog hunters go and pick them up. But it happens all the time, so to say, "you cant be mad they arent YOUR deer" is true but dumb because while the bucks and does on that property arent mine or my fellow hunters on the lease, it isnt very sportsman like to have YOUR dogs run through MY property and push the deer off of my property. We have also caught the dog hunters on our lease trying to get their dogs back. This property is 800 acres too. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    I will go on your lease to get dogs back if they cross over.

Why didn't you shoot the hogs or deer that was ran in front of you.

are you one of them yahoo's that buy a small parcel in the middle of a 30,000 acre dog club and then whine about the dogs?
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,307 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I'm 59 and have hunted 51 years from SW Ga down to Citrus county Fl.

I have never seen a pack of feral dogs in the wood nor have I ever felt threatened by any dog I have ever encountered while hunting.

I have encountered hunting dogs and some neighbor mutts in those years but never packs of feral dogs.

some of y'all sound ascairt to walk to the **** mailbox.
    Well, all I can say is we know something about the woods you don’t... it is what it is. Feral dogs that live as coyotes are a fact of life in many areas of the SE. You’ve probably seen their tracks a lot and never knew they weren’t coyotes or regular domestics running around. A study was done in Alabama just a few years ago that found that feral dogs were the most devastating predator there on wild deer. I can’t provide the direct link because the journal it was published in requires a subscription, but these other links reference the study.   
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,089 Captain
    Feral dogs are real and do exist. If you don't believe that then you need to go online and look it up and get your head out of your butt.. Sherry Schweder and her husband Lother Schweder of Lexington Ga. were mauled and killed by a feral pack of 16 dogs. They died of multiple bites. We hunted on a lease in Marion co. Ga, where dogs were constantly dropped off, only to go feral. They make the worst feral, no fear of man,with the killer instinct of a wolf. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Guess I just don't hunt in the hood.

I'm just saying I don't believe they are as prevalent as some believe..

I would think our deer dogs would encounter the fearless packs as much ground as they cover..
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 27 #76
    ANUMBER1 said:
    I will go on your lease to get dogs back if they cross over.

Why didn't you shoot the hogs or deer that was ran in front of you.

are you one of them yahoo's that buy a small parcel in the middle of a 30,000 acre dog club and then whine about the dogs?
    Why are you getting so offended by what people are saying? Because the dogs were right on tope of them and I dont want to risk shooting someones hunting dog or there loved pet. This isnt in the middle of a dog hunt club, these guys are setting up shop right next to OUR lease. They come towards us because there is a lot of woods out where I hunt.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
    edited January 5 #78
    I heard that starting next season every deer dog has to have a tracking collar. Anyone heard this? If true, you’d think they could integrate a shock into the collar to stop the dogs. Especially near roads. 

Matt, I’d hunt in my FWC uniform if you have one yet lol. 

LOL You just want to be able to identify me so I cant check you 
    edited January 5 #80

The FWC officer that I take duck hunting with me weekly would get a kick out of that. The other one’s retired. If you’re a duck hunter you better be prepared to get checked daily. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,244 Officer
    Back when my cousin was a LEO with FWC, the locals were always giving him a hard time. However they’d stop and help him or his wife when they had car troubles or were stranded by the road. Strange relationship....

The FWC officer that I take duck hunting with me weekly would get a kick out of that. 
    Im not sure the coyote tan uniforms would blend in well with the bark of an oak lol
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,468 Admiral
    My boss leases out his farm to some guys from Lutz.  The DNR officer calls him to let him know he's going to check his property.  My boss is funny he doesn't allow turkey hunting.
    ANumber1 ... your own signature says, "I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs ..."

According to that, you don't even go into the woods hunting deer with your dogs.  Perhaps that's why you don't run into many ferals?
    I bird hunt with my dogs, i deer dog hunt with with a good group of friends.

I belong to 3 leases (2 in levy snd one in marion co) and am sitting in a stand now on some property I have in citrus co.

I live in the middle of a state preserve.

Never seen a pack of feral dogs.
    cats, hogs, and peacock's are a different story. 
    ANUMBER1 said:
    ANumber1 ... your own signature says, "I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs ..."

According to that, you don't even go into the woods hunting deer with your dogs.  Perhaps that's why you don't run into many ferals?
    I bird hunt with my dogs, i deer dog hunt with with a good group of friends.

I belong to 3 leases (2 in levy snd one in marion co) and am sitting in a stand now on some property I have in citrus co.

I live in the middle of a state preserve.

Never seen a pack of feral dogs.
    cats, hogs, and peacock's are a different story. 
    Im pretty sure you can hunt peacocks, you should let us know how they taste. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,464 Captain
    Art has killed peacocks before.
    I heard that starting next season every deer dog has to have a tracking collar. Anyone heard this? If true, you’d think they could integrate a shock into the collar to stop the dogs. Especially near roads. 

Garmin has had that combo for several years. 
    My dogs dont hunt with out a tracker and e collar.
    I've owned the gps tracker since they first hit the market, before that all we had were telemetry collars and antenna wands.

Basically just direction and a rough guess at distance based on the volume of the beep.
  • buckfeverbuckfever Posts: 164 Deckhand
    How many dogs has a1 had shot?
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,181 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:

Garmin has had that combo for several years. 
    My dogs dont hunt with out a tracker and e collar.
    I've owned the gps tracker since they first hit the market, before that all we had were telemetry collars and antenna wands.

Basically just direction and a rough guess at distance based on the volume of the beep.
    Too bad more people don't care about their dogs as much as you do. 

I'm pretty sure it needs to be implemented by 2021 not this upcoming season. There is also some kind of correction deal for the collar not sure if it's a shock or just the basic beeping but as far as I know it's been passed 
    Also a little off course but heard a few people say they never run into fwc when they're hunting I was stopped and checked again today. 4th time in 2 years but yet again the guy was very professional checked my license talked for about 10 minutes and away he went. I also was headed to half moon lake over in pipeline unit to grab a treestand I've had out there since last year just because _amn thing is like 2.5 miles from nearest road and ive been putting off going to get it...anywho there were a bunch of dog hunters there right in middle of a hot pursuit. Numerous pickups couple jonboats and a sweet airboat. Guess it was going on for most of the day and who knows how many miles but heard final 2 shots and stuck around till they got back to boat ramp with a absolute smasher florida buck. He had it all mass height time length dark horns..he was a real florida bruiser. Didnt take any pics just because I wasnt part of the hunt and felt funny about getting my phone out so decided against it but he was a real good one