Home General Hunting

What Do You Do When

Replies

• 139sst139sst Posts: 340 Deckhand
    I am having that situation on my lease right now.  There is a house at the front of the farm that a lady lives on and lets her yard dog run all over the lease and chase deer.  The dog is clearly a pet  but wont come when called and I have asked the Lady to please keep her dog off the lease.   I have explained to her that we all pay good money and drive 5 hours to hunt.   
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,429 AG
    TGunn said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    By the grace of god and good attys i am a free man and not 12 years into a mandatory 15 year sentence. 

All because someone crossed me the wrong way.

Btw I do everthing possible to keep my dogs off others property but sometimes they get out of pocket..

I can take.any level anyone cares too.
    Let me guess. 

The victim wouldn’t testify because you told him you’d burn his house down?

They disappeared.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,163 Captain
    There’s a lot of room for common sense in this issue. A dog can be reasonably sized up on first impression. A well kept, friendly, collared, pure bred is going to catch infinitely better treatment from me than a half-coyote looking mutt with a slinking disposition and no collar. 
  • awayaway Posts: 342 Deckhand
    There's a difference between pet and predator
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,359 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

shooting a dog because it walked on your property is a **** move.

If the dog comes when called, acts friendly, then it's treated with all the love I show my own pets.  But, if it acts afraid or threatening, I will end it as efficiently as possible.  And feel no regrets about it.
    We TNR stray cats.  They become quite friendly after, and become almost like pets.  The local population of strays has dwindled from a dozen or so down to 3.  Dogs get taken to the pound, so their owners can retrieve them.
    If a dog doesn't act friendly, then it's only a matter of time before it DOES go after a pet or person.
    my bird dogs will not come to a stranger, so you'd shoot them?
    Mine won’t either 
    You should have been here yesterday
    lot of idiots on this thread too... 

And we wonder why the ga folks don't like Floriduh hunters...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    my bird dogs aren't friendly (not aggressive) and will not come to anyone but my wife or I.

I want them that way.

90% of my friends deer dogs are the same way, keeps thieves from stealing dogs.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 969 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:

bgeorge said:
    When I first hunted PA the regulations ask you to shoot any dog harassing deer.  Always found it odd that a State agency would put that in their publications.  Hunting rabbits and birds with dogs was fine but not deer.  That request is no longer there but an indication of OK as of a few years back.
    Says the guy who would burn someone's house down for hurting your dog and then a page later talk about making a person "dissapear" seems hypocritical to me but whatever luckily I wont ever have a run in with your dogs(mind you the original picture of this thread is about only situation I would ever hurt a dog and would only be last measure) and therefore wont ever have to worry about you burning my house down. Win win for both of us 😆😆
    zimmy4209 said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

bgeorge said:
    When I first hunted PA the regulations ask you to shoot any dog harassing deer.  Always found it odd that a State agency would put that in their publications.  Hunting rabbits and birds with dogs was fine but not deer.  That request is no longer there but an indication of OK as of a few years back.
    Says the guy who would burn someone's house down for hurting your dog and then a page later talk about making a person "dissapear" seems hypocritical to me but whatever luckily I wont ever have a run in with your dogs(mind you the original picture of this thread is about only situation I would ever hurt a dog and would only be last measure) and therefore wont ever have to worry about you burning my house down. Win win for both of us 😆😆

2 disappeared..

So you would kill a dog for catching a deer?
    What about a hog?

what about breaking a deer down in the legs to train puppies, does that go against your standards snowflake?
    zimmy4209 said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

bgeorge said:

you never know, it's a small world...
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,163 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    my bird dogs aren't friendly (not aggressive) and will not come to anyone but my wife or I.

I want them that way.

90% of my friends deer dogs are the same way, keeps thieves from stealing dogs.
    Do your bird dogs look and act like ferals? If not, they have nothing to worry about from me, so long as they aren’t hurting my chickens. 

Now my bulldog on the other hand would probably break their necks and have one of them half eaten by the time I got home. 

But you wouldn’t blame my bulldog for that. 
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 27 #43
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,670 Admiral
    Had 2 Wanderers in my yard a couple days ago..Well fed , Wearing collars.. never even went outside , I just let them wander and off they went...I'm good.
    I love my dogs and could never shoot a dog unless their aggressive or attacked my dogs.
    I did put down a Pit mix several years ago that was chasing one of mine and he was wearing a collar. 
    It went under my gate and acted like an Idiot and payed the price.
    Feral Cats just get their ticket punched pretty much on sight , but I have taken a few to the Animal Rescue place.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 479 Deckhand
    I've been reading this thread in disbelief.  I published 3 pictures of my little (45#) dog on the pet picture thread and think the world of her.  (where did that thread go ??)  If anyone ever hurts that dog out of mean-ness they will learn the meaning of sudden extreme violence, but no, I won't kill them.

That said, if I ever see her attacking a Deer, or see her killing the neighbor's chickens or other livestock, I "hope" I will have the guts to shoot her myself.  She is MY responsibility. 

So far, after 4 years with me, she loves to chase Squirrels but totally ignores Deer and Cattle.

I hike a lot and my biggest problem with Dogs to date has been 3 instances of being held at bay by loose dogs in the mountains and several incidences of dogs in yards running out to attack when I walk by, with or without my dog.  So far, running at them screaming and throwing a handful of gravel has scared them off......but it's hard on my nerves.  Now I carry pepper spray and a last resort handgun, JIC.  If a dog draws my blood, it WILL die.....and bring on your arson equipment.

My biggest hate of all is those a$$hole$ who leave their dog outside barking.  Endlessly, day after day, night after night, bark, bark, bark.........how do they stand the racket right outside their windows ??  If I thought for one blink of a second that I could get away with it, those are dogs that I WOULD shoot....cheerfully....but I'm not willing to go to prison over it.
    I fail to see the problem with dogs and deer, it's not like they are your deer...
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,670 Admiral
    My 2 little Mixes chase deer around my Yard only pretty much every night...
    My Neighbor is a Dog Hunter and has over 15 Dogs, They bark...well , often , once an hour anyways.
    I'd drive me nuts but he lives 15 acres away so their just background noise.
    None of them have ever been petted or inside the House , Working Dogs.
    One got shot a month ago when Buckshot and a 250ish Sow in the mix took a few pellets.
    He was bummed but he just said on the Radio..Grab her collar, she was the worst dog I got anyway..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 969 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    zimmy4209 said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

bgeorge said:

2 disappeared..

So you would kill a dog for catching a deer?
    What about a hog?

what about breaking a deer down in the legs to train puppies, does that go against your standards snowflake?
    I got your snowflake right here swinging. Ain't got nothing to do with standards training a dog how yo hunt is completely different than 3 worthless mutts out running amuck because there owners are irresponsible. I'm well aware and experienced in process of training hunting dogs but thanks for asking kind sir. Only thing that confuses me is why your going out of your way to protect 3 delinquent dogs that have absolutely nothing to do with hunting or what it means to hunt with dogs. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,104 Captain

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    lol
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 210 Deckhand
    thats a bad **** picture above
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    By the grace of god and good attys i am a free man and not 12 years into a mandatory 15 year sentence. 

All because someone crossed me the wrong way.

Btw I do everthing possible to keep my dogs off others property but sometimes they get out of pocket..

I can take.any level anyone cares too.
    There are no good attys
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 515 Officer
    3 pitbulls ripped our lab into 4 pieces   in our yard      they got loose      when my dad got home bout a month later on leave first thing he did was share a 6 pack of old style with me and one of my brothers     i was about 13 years old       when finished he put bottles in paper sack and we beat them into tiny pieces    then he put on welders gloves and mixed glass with burger meat     fired up the grill and shared another beer with us      medium rare is best for these burgers he said then made me and my brother sneak down to neighbors house and throw burgers over fence to the dogs    when we got back he asked did they eat the burgers we said yes       hoorah is all he said.      never seen those dogs again.     as for feral dogs or strays never had one threaten me or my family but a few problems with neighbors dogs       can you still buy old style.
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 210 Deckhand
    dam... ive never hear that story told in such a way but I get it! 
    meateater said:
    3 pitbulls ripped our lab into 4 pieces   in our yard      they got loose      when my dad got home bout a month later on leave first thing he did was share a 6 pack of old style with me and one of my brothers     i was about 13 years old       when finished he put bottles in paper sack and we beat them into tiny pieces    then he put on welders gloves and mixed glass with burger meat     fired up the grill and shared another beer with us      medium rare is best for these burgers he said then made me and my brother sneak down to neighbors house and throw burgers over fence to the dogs    when we got back he asked did they eat the burgers we said yes       hoorah is all he said.      never seen those dogs again.     as for feral dogs or strays never had one threaten me or my family but a few problems with neighbors dogs       can you still buy old style.
    why go to all that trouble when anti freeze was cheap and easy?
    meateater said:
    3 pitbulls ripped our lab into 4 pieces   in our yard      they got loose      when my dad got home bout a month later on leave first thing he did was share a 6 pack of old style with me and one of my brothers     i was about 13 years old       when finished he put bottles in paper sack and we beat them into tiny pieces    then he put on welders gloves and mixed glass with burger meat     fired up the grill and shared another beer with us      medium rare is best for these burgers he said then made me and my brother sneak down to neighbors house and throw burgers over fence to the dogs    when we got back he asked did they eat the burgers we said yes       hoorah is all he said.      never seen those dogs again.     as for feral dogs or strays never had one threaten me or my family but a few problems with neighbors dogs       can you still buy old style..

yep $100 worth of meth to the right folks with a promise of more can buy a lot of pain to some folks.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,984 Captain
    edited January 4 #60
    Had a friend and his doctor wife buy a place in Kentucky when she got a job at the local hospital. They bought it with the intention of being able to hunt on their land behind their house. As per typical the previous good ol boys killed every deer turkey and living thing before the farm got sold. Fair enough. My friend spent a few years improving the habitat and making the farm a good place to hunt and deer and turkeys started returning to the place. Only problem was every time he went out hunting, dogs would appear and run off any game. Being a nice guy from up north he didn’t understand what was going on. He relayed this to me and I invited myself down squirrel hunting one year. I went out and set up in his tree stand well before first light and asked him to come out bow hunting like he always did. Here came the dogs. Got a few squirrels that day. Lots of shooting. 

You let your dogs out with the intent to roam, they pay the price of your negligence. 

He shot some big bucks and turkeys off that place before he moved to another state. 
    if y'all think dogs run game completely off then you're just ignorant.

There wouldn't be a another deer killed in ONF two weeks past the start of GG if that was the case...