Home General Hunting

What Do You Do When

Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,374 Captain
your neighbors dogs are harassing your deer?

Old photo, but real topic. One reason we have standing orders to shoot every stray we see in SC that crosses property lines....

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,659 AG
    i wouldn't think those dogs could run him down like that.    But with the mouth open they may have worn him down over a period of time.   I'd be pissed to see that but at the same time if a buck can't get past domestic dogs i would think Coyotes would have killed him by now. 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,165 Captain
    We have warned neighbors that we shoot stray dogs, cats and coyotes.....after we had a few problems with their dogs.....problems ended....
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,429 AG
    I would burn someone's house down that shot one of my dogs. 
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,166 Captain
    Stray dogs are feral dogs as far as I’m concerned, and a feral dog is a feral hog is a feral rat is a feral cat. All threats to the ecosystem that need to be removed. 
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Why would you say something like that? You’d have no idea who or what would be in the house you’d burn down. You could be murdering infants in their cribs because of a situation that’s ultimately your fault if you’re being the kind of irresponsible dog owner that is being discussed. I’m presuming that you wouldn’t be the kind of person that would let your dogs free range 24-7 over your neighbor’s property. The same sorts of dogs we’re talking about here are livestock killers. These aren’t well kept hunting dogs that have accidentally strayed over the property line. 

• MissedMissed O-townPosts: 209 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Then you probably don't let your dogs roam.

Pets are pets, those dogs in the photo are something else. 

These kinds of posts are pot stirrers for sure.

Best to stay mum, that way you don't know if it got bit by a snake, et by a bear, hit by a car, or ate something bad. 
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 27 #8
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 557 Officer
    I would shoot the buck and worry about dogs later. Definitely not worth committing arson! Book em Dano.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,393 Captain
    "I would burn someone's house down that shot one of my dogs."
    Simple solution...
    KEEP YOUR DOGS HOME WHERE THEY BELONG!!!
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 212 Deckhand
    Hey mak if you can catch em I can use a few new good one's..askin for a friend
    By the grace of god and good attys i am a free man and not 12 years into a mandatory 15 year sentence. 

All because someone crossed me the wrong way.

Btw I do everthing possible to keep my dogs off others property but sometimes they get out of pocket..

I can take.any level anyone cares too.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,927 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    By the grace of god and good attys i am a free man and not 12 years into a mandatory 15 year sentence. 

Btw I do everthing possible to keep my dogs off others property but sometimes they get out of pocket..

Must be quite the story......
    Wanna go camping?
    I'll tell you all about it around the fire. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,736 AG
    LOL..... 

You making smoothies too Art ? 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,374 Captain
    ****! Art is legit!
    ANUMBER1 said:

15 year min man? In Florida?
    according to one of my attys at that time
    come on big mak, why even start this thread?

are you bored? or just a real **** p r ick?

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,066 Officer
    Slow day in the “positive” posts feed...
    yeah it is..
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,374 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    come on big mak, why even start this thread?

are you bored? or just a real **** p r ick?

Probably a little bit of both.

Hey, I'm on your side Art. Look back, I've always defended responsible dog hunting, I think it's a fantastic way to hunt, but there's a pretty big difference between a ranging old hunt dog that wandered where he isn't supposed to be and a flea bitten mongrel that slipped over the tracks from the hood. I have to ask, do the dogs in the pic above look like hunting hounds from a responsible owner? (I didn't think so either.)

.Just so you  know, the area we hunt in SC is nowhere near a dog hunt area and nowhere near another large enough parcel to support any other hunting, so the decision is a bit easier than it might be somewhere else.

In the scenario from the photo above, I too would drop the deer first and then start popping dogs as they scattered. I never knew seasoned hunting dogs to scatter at a shot either, BTW.

You're not the irresponsible dog owner, Art. We both know that. Your dogs also reflect it. Easy enough for me to see here, or in the field.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 971 Officer
    None of those 3 are hunting dogs. More than likely something was wrong with the buck before the dogs got ahold of it. That buck could do circles around all 3 of em easily until they got tired. Regardless of what was wrong with deer at first is bigger problem my opinion. Those dogs look like they haven't missed any meals so someone owns them. They are ones should be held accountable but we all know how that works. That's just _ullshit in my opinion 3 shots would have been fired and I'd let buck go do his thing if he still had it in him unless you were planning on tagging the deer for yourself if I had my choice I wouldnt want the meat. That deers been rode hard and fixing to be put away wet. 3 worthless muts
    people shooting dogs just for trespassing boils my blood..

dogs get out of pocket all the time even when fenced, they chew thru chain link for petes sakes.

I don't have a problem if a dog is attacking livestock or a human or another pet..

deer aren't your livestock or pet.

shooting a dog because it walked on your property is a **** move.

• bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    When I first hunted PA the regulations ask you to shoot any dog harassing deer.  Always found it odd that a State agency would put that in their publications.  Hunting rabbits and birds with dogs was fine but not deer.  That request is no longer there but an indication of OK as of a few years back.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 27 #26
  • gruntkinggruntking Posts: 830 Officer
    I’d point a laser at Arts house and he’d cry like a b*tch. 
    gruntking said:
    I’d point a laser at Arts house and he’d cry like a b*tch. 
    my eye hurts
    ANUMBER1 said:

shooting a dog because it walked on your property is a **** move.

If the dog comes when called, acts friendly, then it's treated with all the love I show my own pets.  But, if it acts afraid or threatening, I will end it as efficiently as possible.  And feel no regrets about it.
    We TNR stray cats.  They become quite friendly after, and become almost like pets.  The local population of strays has dwindled from a dozen or so down to 3.  Dogs get taken to the pound, so their owners can retrieve them.
    If a dog doesn't act friendly, then it's only a matter of time before it DOES go after a pet or person.
    my bird dogs will not come to a stranger, so you'd shoot them?
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    edited December 2019 #30
    ANUMBER1 said:

Let me guess. 

The victim wouldn’t testify because you told him you’d burn his house down?

• HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 475 Deckhand
    I seen both sides of the story. 

Been in ga when the neighbors been warned many times to stop having their dogs chasing deer on others private property . 
    After many warning. Sss and rest of the dogs never came on to the property. 

I also been on small public fla partials. Surrounded by family homes where dogs came running by me with collars and knew they were just exploring and just moved them on. 

Everyone has a different experience with the issues