Home General Hunting

Duck hunting Tampa bay

Merry Christmas and happy holidays! Hope everyone is doing well. I fish a lot around the bay, and while fishing I’ve noticed a few areas that seem to hold a few ducks. I’ve tried doing research into where I can and cannot hunt but I’m honestly so confused. What’s the deal with the water around aquatic preserves, and can you hunt near them?- might be a stupid question (sorry). Is there a map I can look at to see where I can hunt? Sorry if this has already been covered. Thank you all. Always will to hunt with new people too if anyone wants to go. 

Replies

• bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    I have been seeing a big uptick in parking for duck hunting on 4th street just north of Gandy when headed to the radio station on Saturday mornings.  We have had Dennis from United Waterfowlers on and discussed this very subject.  On their website is his contact info.  A call to FWC may lead to someone who does not know the area as good.  Dennis should be able to answer more direct questions.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,104 Captain
    bgeorge said:
    I have been seeing a big uptick in parking for duck hunting on 4th street just north of Gandy when headed to the radio station on Saturday mornings.  We have had Dennis from United Waterfowlers on and discussed this very subject.  On their website is his contact info.  A call to FWC may lead to someone who does not know the area as good.  Dennis should be able to answer more direct questions.
    Is your show on 102.5? That’d suck to be those duck hunters having their area blown up live on the radio, lol. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Not 102.5  1010 AM, 92.1 FM and 103.1 FM depending on where you are. 7am - 10 am.  We did talk about it in the past, then next thing the major TV stations doing stories about people upset and pets traumatized over hearing distant gun shots.  Ducks were thick at that time.  

My nephew hunts Tampa Bay on a regular basis and does well.  
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,367 Captain
    Sounds like I need to relocate my ducking efforts to Tampa Bay.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,736 AG
    On my way to Tampa right now....I want a good spot.... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,429 AG
    strip hunt that mother!!!!!!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,736 AG
    Where is Chet and his 247 buddies when you really need them......
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,104 Captain
    edited December 2019 #10
    I hear a dog...
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    duckmanJR said:
    Where is Chet and his 247 buddies when you really need them......
    He's around. Still throwing em out and picking em up.
    strip hunt.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I would prefer chasing the redheads with Art.
    none here at the moment
    None there? Are we talking ducks?
  • Offshore023Offshore023 Posts: 6 Deckhand
    I was told that you can hunt ANYWHERE in Tampa Bay, even around the preserves, as long as you are in the water and not on dry land. Aren't there some FWC and law enforcement guys on here that can confirm this?
  • 139sst139sst Posts: 340 Deckhand
    I was told that you can hunt ANYWHERE in Tampa Bay, even around the preserves, as long as you are in the water and not on dry land. Aren't there some FWC and law enforcement guys on here that can confirm this?
    Make sure you are aiming towards the open water and not the preserve.  You dont want to get in trouble for shot trespass.  I know guys that hunt right outside of preserves also but I dont know if its legal or not.  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    How the state would prove that shot trespass is an interesting point of consideration. It is not illegal to shoot "toward" a preserve.  I often shoot towards St. Marks NWR from down here in central FL.  

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    MRichardson, google Anna Maria Island duck hunting and read the mess going on there.  Hunters are standing just outside of the preserve and shooting ducks that are landing dead inside the preserve while people are jogging, riding bikes, etc. ( So the paper and news said.)  As far as shot trespass goes maybe Bullfrog will chime in on this .
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,927 Captain
    139sst said:
    MRichardson, google Anna Maria Island duck hunting and read the mess going on there.  Hunters are standing just outside of the preserve and shooting ducks that are landing dead inside the preserve while people are jogging, riding bikes, etc. ( So the paper and news said.)  As far as shot trespass goes maybe Bullfrog will chime in on this .
    Thats exactly what i envision in my head when i hear "tampa bay duck hunting" those west coast guys are well....
    There are  still some decent spots but you better get up early.  Most of the places where people are shooting puddlers are right up against some sort of development or golf course, Nature preserve/ Habitat restoration type place. 
    139sst said:
    Ah, well that kind of activity is ridiculous, and likely easily witnessed/proven.  
    I was thinking more along the lines of hunting alongside/adjacent to a preserve and firing toward it.  

Those folks are not hunters and should not have a license.  Penalty should be high enough to make up for all the licenses and stamps they will be barred from purchasing in the future.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    Duck hunting is the new Bear hunting...
    “Clearly we have some loopholes to close,” said Smith, who plans to discuss the issue next week with Florida Rep. Will Robinson, for whose family Robinson Preserve is named.
    Happening all over the bay actually

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,650 Captain
    spangler said:
    Duck hunting is the new Bear hunting...
    “Clearly we have some loopholes to close,” said Smith, who plans to discuss the issue next week with Florida Rep. Will Robinson, for whose family Robinson Preserve is named.
    Happening all over the bay actually

Dang that's a nice looking marsh! 

Just close the preserve during hunting season. Problem solved. Id bet a dollar to a donut hunting was going on there before the condos were built...

I think we should just shoot all the non-hunters and burn down their homes, all across the state.  Everyone who arrived after 1975. In 50 years it will look almost as good as it did before they arrived.
    The marsh was enhanced or reclaimed by man in recent years and thats what has attracted the waterfowl.  There are also canada geese being shot also. to your  point, Im sure duck hunting existed there in some form or another since man has inhabited the area.  
    Stop shooting the pet geese. Cmon guys lol no wonder there's so much conflict over  there
    **** the homeowners.  I hope a hurricane destroys their homes and their lives and they move back to Connecticut.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,650 Captain
    edited January 3 #29
    Reel Teal said:
    Stop shooting the pet geese. Cmon guys lol no wonder there's so much conflict over  there

A spot in Florida...that holds waterfowl....is legal to hunt.....no permit required....

Pets or not, those opportunities hardly exist anymore.  Its gonna get hunted.

edited January 3 #30
    I agree pinman. Its spreads us out and im glad a portion of hunters spend their time doing it. It was like the kid shooting "mallards" in casselberry. The friggin neighborhood was built before that kid was even born lol

How many mallards and Canadas did you guys traditionally shoot around tampa and central florida? Im a lot younger than you so I don't know. 
    Reel Teal, The Canada's are recent for the most part because of habitat enhancement. They are not migrants but moved over to the preserve in the news article because it was better than the golf course the were on.  The Mallards have been here as long as I can remember.  I first noticed them when I was a child fishing with my father.  Im in my late forty's now.  Most people not from here would be shocked at the amount of greenheads in the bay.  I wouldnt cancel your flooded timber trip but a couple of fishing trips in the summer and you would have it figured out. These are not migratory birds  so you could actually get a  mallard depredation permit from Fwc.  and extend you duck season.