Berkley Nanofil line

esteroestero Posts: 2,041 Captain
Has anyone used the new Berkley Nanofil line? What is you impression of the line?

Just because you’re  Offended  Doesn’t mean you right!

Replies

• BryanCBryanC Posts: 626 Officer
    I just spooled a reel with it on Sunday. I bought 10 lb test. I haven't fished it yet. It seems to have poor knot strength. I wanted to make a loop in the end in order to tie on a leader with a bristol knot. I tried tying a Spider Hitch to make the loop, and the line broke in my hands while pulling it tight, right at the top of the knot. So then I tried a 3-turn surgeons knot to make a loop. This also broke while pulling it tight, about 1/4" above the knot. I tried another surgeon's knot, and it broke again while pulling it tight. Finally I tied a bimini twist, and then attached a leader with a bristol knot. That combination did not break in my hands under my normal knot-pulling force. I will try using this for light inshore fishing and see how it holds up. I did some practice casting with it in the pond I live on, and it does cast considerably further than other lines.
  • Sam HSam H Posts: 279 Officer
    You won't find a line that casts farther--the diameter is minuscule.
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer

Berkely designed their own style of knot to compensate with it's diameter/friction effect on knot strength. I haven't tried it, but have heard either a palomar or this style knot is the only way to go. I can't imagine this would be a good line to use for an albright tied to leader material.

*notice the line is doubled over throughout the entire tie-on.
    sigsmallx.jpg
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Got some of it to test.
    I don't like it, it doesn't hold a knot at all, Lost a lour on each cast good thing i made them myself so I remade them.
    Replaced it with mono.
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    Got some of it to test.
    I don't like it, it doesn't hold a knot at all, Lost a lour on each cast good thing i made them myself so I remade them.
    Replaced it with mono.
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • DogmanDogman Posts: 450 Deckhand
    You have to be sure to lubricate the entire section of line being knotted. Since this stuff is SO fine it is very susceptible to friction weakening. I would use some fluoro leader or mono to tie on your lures. I've only used it with an ultralight and it fishes well. I think I still prefer regular braid though.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]