Home General Hunting

Something is wrong with Guana

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,984 Captain
    Reel Teal said:
    Ringneck population in the eastern survey area was up 10% from 2018 according to FWS. In 1998 the breeding population was estimated at 586,000 and in 2019 its 694,000. Its had fluctuations in between.

https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/pdf/surveys-and-data/Population-status/Waterfowl/WaterfowlPopulationStatusReport19.pdf

Do you have any links? 
    And the boot licking....
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,437 Officer
    H20dad said:
    Reel Teal said:
    Ringneck population in the eastern survey area was up 10% from 2018 according to FWS. In 1998 the breeding population was estimated at 586,000 and in 2019 its 694,000. Its had fluctuations in between.

https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/pdf/surveys-and-data/Population-status/Waterfowl/WaterfowlPopulationStatusReport19.pdf

Do you have any links? 
    And the boot licking....
    He just asked for your source?
    H20, we're actually having a discussion in here. Please take your highschool girl bs and kick rocks. 
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,927 Captain
    This also has nothing to do with FWC.

FWS stands for Federal Wildife Service. 
    Reel Teal said:
    This also has nothing to do with FWC.

FWS stands for Federal Wildife Service. 
    Just ignore the bored old man, please. It would be nice to have one thread that doesn't turn into a pissing match. 
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 211 Deckhand
    ill keep on going, looking for birds when I can, but hate to say that public water body duck hunting has become more of a hassle,and expense then its worth. To scout a half day or more find something to set up on,run the risk of another guy or his friends cutting you off just isnt worth it anymore for a half ole timer like me...new breed may enjoy it but not this one. Ill continue to put youth kids on mallards and cook out in the marsh enjoy it for what its worth, but to see the habitat destruction like I have witnessed for the better part of 35 yrs is disgusting. PUBLIC out cry far outweighs the people that accept this and yet still the destruction continues to expand.

When I saw the medians getting sprayed a few weeks ago in a beautiful pine strand with old flag ponds in it I said this has come full circle nothing is safe any longer. Lots of guys are in it for the money, I dont blame em coming from poor rural areas with little to no opportunity to get ahead, but dam its out of control and those who defend that it is not are prob part of the problem.
    I hunted the forgotten coast Thursday-Saturday last week and my little brother only shot one greater scaup. Saw a few small flocks of redheads about a mile offshore and the typical amount of buffies between my spot and the ramp, but other than that it was DEAD. Probably the slowest few days I've had in the last 5 years. 
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited January 7 #39
    And now that ephemeral wetlands (according to some ignorants) are suddenly no longer wetlands by law, things will only get worse and worse and worse.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    I feel like there is no hope.  
    The people in charge of this state will always be developers. Our economy depends on more people coming.  Developers are at the core of that, development is the state's mission.. hell, the FWC board is almost entirely developers.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    I hope everyone is gonna speak out against the proposed toll roads that will be the death knell for some of Florida's remaining wildlands.
    bicyclist said:
    I hope everyone is gonna speak out against the proposed toll roads that will be the death knell for some of Florida's remaining wildlands.
    Oddly, roads aren’t what has killed the much large block of wild lands that is south Florida. “Management” has and continues to kill them. Just pray you don’t get any “management.”  Oops, too late female Texas mountain lion breeding north of the caloosahatchee, you gonna get some “management” now....
    H20dad said:
    bicyclist said:
    Oddly, roads aren’t what has killed the much large block of wild lands that is south Florida. “Management” has and continues to kill them. Just pray you don’t get any “management.”  Oops, too late female Texas mountain lion breeding north of the caloosahatchee, you gonna get some “management” now....

I think the Florida cougar is a huge success story for old Florida and not so much for outdoor posers.
    bicyclist said:
    H20dad said:
    bicyclist said:

I think the Florida cougar is a huge success story for old Florida and not so much for outdoor posers.
    Simply because you’ll never suffer any ill effects to your lifestyle and you pretty much hate all other hunters. 
    edited January 7 #45
    H20dad said:
    bicyclist said:
    H20dad said:
    bicyclist said:

Simply because you’ll never suffer any ill effects to your lifestyle and you pretty much hate all other hunters. 

No, because both sides of my family have been in Florida since it was a state and the Florida panther is part of our heritage. You can't just kill off parts of the natural world that you can't handle. For this Atheist, it is not the christian thing to do.
    bicyclist said:
    H20dad said:
    bicyclist said:
    H20dad said:
    bicyclist said:

No, because both sides of my family have been in Florida since it was a state and the Florida panther is part of our heritage. You can't just kill off parts of the natural world that you can't handle. For this Atheist, it is not the christian thing to do.
    The people your family displaced/exterminated  had the exact same answer I would bet, how’d that work out for them?
    H20dad said:
    bicyclist said:
    H20dad said:
    bicyclist said:
    H20dad said:
    bicyclist said:

The people your family displaced/exterminated  had the exact same answer I would bet, how’d that work out for them?

What can I say.... they were settlers AND christians.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,736 AG
     I think that FWC’s Biologist’s onslaught of spraying has caused the last few breeding seasons of ducks to not be imprinted with feeding on our lakes anymore and they completely bypass us. 
    Can you tell us more on what these FWC Biologists are doing....  Is it your contention that the *BIOLOGISTS* are somehow connected to spraying and not IPM ( Invasive plant management )....thru their contractors.

Could you state if this is an opinion...or do you offer facts ?   
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    H20, we're actually having a discussion in here. Please take your highschool girl bs and kick rocks. 
    The nerve of you two questioning the word of H2O dads " reliable reports".......  Like they could be just total bullsnot or some such thing of the sort.... LOL
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,373 Captain
    There are multiple reasons for such lousy duck hunting and we've gone over them all at certain points in time. I can't blame any one specific thing, but what I can tell you is that every duck in the state is scared sheetless and flying for it's life. That goes for private land as well. 
    Yep....stale birds that have been kicks high flyer'ed and Black clouded by every Amigo south of Stuart...LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,373 Captain
    They've been getting that treatment for the previous 2000 miles
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,107 Captain
    edited January 7 #53
    duckmanJR said:
     I think that FWC’s Biologist’s onslaught of spraying has caused the last few breeding seasons of ducks to not be imprinted with feeding on our lakes anymore and they completely bypass us. 
    Can you tell us more on what these FWC Biologists are doing....  Is it your contention that the *BIOLOGISTS* are somehow connected to spraying and not IPM ( Invasive plant management )....thru their contractors.

UF DU and several locals voiced their opinions at the spray meetings for said lake and worked with FWC to stop spraying a certain part of said lake to establish hydrilla. Now there’s hydrilla, but no ducks. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    edited January 8 #54
    Big Mak said:
    They've been getting that treatment for the previous 2000 miles
    Actually the data available on this from the radio tracked data that gets leaked out is that the birds hop here pretty much directly from their nesting places. It’s not hunting pressure. It’s no birds or several orders of magnitude less birds than the feds are “guessing at” in their surveys. 

This isn’t just Florida. It’s everybody on the eastern seaboard, Louisiana to Tennessee, Kansas and other Great Plains regions and California. Heck, guys in Washington state are wondering when the birds are going to come down from Canada. The guys in Canada are telling them they left months ago. 

The populations are much much less than are being reported. There are tons of small data points throwing holes in the feds entire structure. This isn’t  psycho babble, short stopping, flooded corn, spinning wing decoys, face poo, 3.5” shells, sky busting, or ethanol gas, it’s just that the science models have run their course. The data coming in doesn’t support the actual numbers migrating over huge huge areas. The feds number are based upon calculations after small amounts of observations. Well, the habitat has shrunk and the calculations have bad assumptions to them now. 
  • godvlmangodvlman Posts: 406 Deckhand
    H20dad said:
    There are so many small bad things adding up that it makes for an overwhelming general badness. If you ask and look it’s not just here or there. It’s every flyway and every state. 

I have opinions based upon reliable reports but I have no desire to watch the fwc boot lickers ply their trade. 

The upside is that the Dakotas are so full of water this year any teal should be breeding with great results and next years flight should be better. 

For those of you that like ringers, I think you can pretty much kiss that species goodbye. Seriously.  The numbers are going down and the amount of effort to turn the ship in todays management structure will occur after too much damage has been done. They are in much worse shape than bluebills and are still at 6/day unimaginable. 
    More #fakenews from the STA guide !!!!  You always have opinions, yet they are never reliable!!!

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,463 AG
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,107 Captain
    godvlman said:
    H20dad said:
    There are so many small bad things adding up that it makes for an overwhelming general badness. If you ask and look it’s not just here or there. It’s every flyway and every state. 

I have opinions based upon reliable reports but I have no desire to watch the fwc boot lickers ply their trade. 

The upside is that the Dakotas are so full of water this year any teal should be breeding with great results and next years flight should be better. 

For those of you that like ringers, I think you can pretty much kiss that species goodbye. Seriously.  The numbers are going down and the amount of effort to turn the ship in todays management structure will occur after too much damage has been done. They are in much worse shape than bluebills and are still at 6/day unimaginable. 
    More #fakenews from the STA guide !!!!  You always have opinions, yet they are never reliable!!!

godvlman said:
    H20dad said:

Regarding Ringers, we’ve put 240 of them in my boat so far this year. Doesn’t seem to be any shortage of them. They’re just not on any of my local lakes. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 211 Deckhand
    duckmanJR said:

What are you babbling here Jr? I seem to recall full participation at the Invasive Plant Management Summit from FWC biologists? 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Too many people in FL. Too many hunters in FL.  Not enough avail land.
    We need more hunters paying tags, licenses and stamps that end up being too lazy to actually go out and hunt.
    Or to raise (drastically) the cost of a hunting license. Weed out the riff-raff, you know.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    Too many people in FL. Too many hunters in FL.  Not enough avail land.
    We need more hunters paying tags, licenses and stamps that end up being too lazy to actually go out and hunt.
    Or to raise (drastically) the cost of a hunting license. Weed out the riff-raff, you know.
    Age limits. You old geezers have hunted enough. And raise senior hunting licenses to $100 a year and require them for everyone over 65. Lol

Hand out frozen turkeys at each wma entrance too. 
    godvlman said:
    H20dad said:

godvlman said:
    H20dad said:

Regarding Ringers, we’ve put 240 of them in my boat so far this year. Doesn’t seem to be any shortage of them. They’re just not on any of my local lakes. 
    I’m sorry to hear that. So many other good eating birds available. Haven’t shot a single ring neck this year even when presented with easy shots.