Home General Hunting

We're 10 years into Deer Management Plan

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
edited December 2019 in General Hunting #1

GOALS OBJECTIVES AND STRATEGIES

Population Goal

Ensure the existence of robust deer populations that meet the public’s desires for recreational opportunities and protection of property while ensuring the long-term welfare of the species.

Objective 1:  Manage deer populations on a local level to increase the resolution of our ability to meet the needs and desires of the public.

Objective 2:  Develop an ongoing capability to efficiently and accurately quantify public desires regarding target deer population levels.

Objective 3:  Establish quantifiable deer population objectives for lands within the Wildlife Management Area System

Objective 4:  Develop and implement a method for reliably determining how many (and where) deer are harvested annually.

Objective 5:  Ensure early detection and prompt response to diseases that threaten Florida’s deer populations.

Customer Satisfaction Goal

Ensure a high degree of public satisfaction with deer management in Florida.

Objective 1:  Maximize access to deer hunting opportunities and advocate for expanding those opportunities to the greatest extent feasible

Objective 2:  Solicit and utilize human dimension data to develop and continually improve customer satisfaction goals, objectives and strategies, and deer management recommendations and actions

Objective 3:  Manage deer-related impacts at an acceptable level.

Objective 4:  Develop a White-tailed Deer Information Portal to make it easy for customers to access harvest records, rutting dates, Florida Buck Registry entries, FAQs on deer and deer hunting, current research, and education materials.

Habitat Goal

Manage deer habitats consistent with ecosystem health, deer population goals, and customer satisfaction goals.

Objective 1:  Assess the amount and relative quality of deer habitat throughout Florida by DMU

Objective 2:  Promote deer habitat management practices that are compatible with the needs of diverse native wildlife species, and humans on private and public lands.

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.

Replies

• OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 212 Deckhand
    spangler said:

GOALS OBJECTIVES AND STRATEGIES

Population Goal

Ensure the existence of robust deer populations that meet the public’s desires for recreational opportunities and protection of property while ensuring the long-term welfare of the species.

Objective 1:  Manage deer populations on a local level to increase the resolution of our ability to meet the needs and desires of the public.FAIL

Objective 2:  Develop an ongoing capability to efficiently and accurately quantify public desires regarding target deer population levels.FAIL

Objective 3:  Establish quantifiable deer population objectives for lands within the Wildlife Management Area SystemFAIL

Objective 4:  Develop and implement a method for reliably determining how many (and where) deer are harvested annually.FAIL

Objective 5:  Ensure early detection and prompt response to diseases that threaten Florida’s deer populations.FAIL

Customer Satisfaction Goal

Ensure a high degree of public satisfaction with deer management in Florida.

Objective 1:  Maximize access to deer hunting opportunities and advocate for expanding those opportunities to the greatest extent feasible

Objective 2:  Solicit and utilize human dimension data to develop and continually improve customer satisfaction goals, objectives and strategies, and deer management recommendations and actions

Objective 3:  Manage deer-related impacts at an acceptable level.

Objective 4:  Develop a White-tailed Deer Information Portal to make it easy for customers to access harvest records, rutting dates, Florida Buck Registry entries, FAQs on deer and deer hunting, current research, and education materials.

Habitat Goal

Manage deer habitats consistent with ecosystem health, deer population goals, and customer satisfaction goals.

Objective 1:  Assess the amount and relative quality of deer habitat throughout Florida by DMU

Objective 2:  Promote deer habitat management practices that are compatible with the needs of diverse native wildlife species, and humans on private and public lands.

If this was a class they would get a big fat F
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 452 Deckhand
    Thank the lord you're not a substitute teacher!
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    edited December 2019 #4
    Let's just start with
    And hopefully we hear from some in the sw and west central region

There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,353 Captain
    WELL HOWS THAT WORKING IN THE SOUTH ZONE . 
    living life as i like
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,165 Captain
    Wow....Ten Years....I remember the first meeting of the DMTAG....lots of water under the bridge since then....Some good things have happened, sometimes delayed, but the "science" usually prevails in time.  Obviously, lots of controversy and some harsh words over the years at meetings and on the forums....and Public Meetings.  No project this large and complex will be done without hiccups...and disagreements...but, from being on DMTAG all these years, I can say the FWC Staff has always worked to meet the objectives listed above....and some sharp "give and take" between Staff, DMTAG members and the Public have been productive.

What is true....Florida is the most difficult State to "manage deer".  The habitat differences "south to north" are enough to create night mares when looking at growth, antlers and recruitment numbers.  The Semi Tropical  Weather Seasons scatter RUTS across the calendar, some times months different within a few miles.  The "traditions" of basically wide open seasons and bags....months of gun season, two a day bag allowances, etc...are hard to bring into a program that meets the objectives listed above....While respecting the popularity of the "old ways".

The DMTAG has a lot of dedicated hunters from all the methods who have traveled many miles to meetings...and a FWC Staff that "listens".  I have been privileged to be a small part and hope to have a few years left to be around to see the results....which I am sure will meet a large part of what the original plan listed ten years ago!
    just leave it alone, nothing was broke. If so please factually tell us what was wrong with data to back it up. 

OPEN MORE LANDS PERIOD
  • wayviswayvis FloridaPosts: 137 Deckhand
    If nothing was wrong than way was/is everyone  always **** about how bad deer hunting is in Florida? Are they all just a bunch of cry babies?
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,927 Captain
    Yes they are crybabies bc the hunting in Florida is hard. Its not necessarily "bad". Add in your 3-8 day quota window for many hunts and it gets even harder. 

The rut in my area happens when there is no season....making it even harder. Theres plenty of deer though. 

In my opinion, people who say the hunting is bad are accustomed to hunting a little farther north where the deer,  weather and terrain are different. Especially for those well insulated folks. Florida is even harder.
    wayvis said:
    If nothing was wrong than way was/is everyone  always **** about how bad deer hunting is in Florida? Are they all just a bunch of cry babies?
    Yes I am... access is the issue!
    Reel Teal said:
    Yes they are crybabies bc the hunting in Florida is hard. Its not necessarily "bad". Add in your 3-8 day quota window for many hunts and it gets even harder. 

The rut in my area happens when there is no season....making it even harder. Theres plenty of deer though. 

In my opinion, people who say the hunting is bad are accustomed to hunting a little farther north where the deer,  weather and terrain are different. Especially for those well insulated folks. Florida is even harder.
    I'm sure that you meant to say our instead of your 3-8 day quota, because I do not support most quota hunts. I would like to know what area you hunt, because the FWC and DMTAG worked very hard to have the rut fall into a hunting season. I know the rut in my area is in bow season, so I would like to have an earlier gun season but not going to happen.  I agree that a lot of fl. has some decent deer hunting but a lot of places have poor deer hunting and I think most areas can be improved with the right regs.
    I agree that many hunters have the wrong perception of fl. hunting. Fl. deer are much harder to hunt than any other south east state that I have hunter. One of the biggest things that make fl. deer so hard to hunt is how nocturnal they are. From trailcam pic's it amazes me that I ever kill a deer, because 99.8% are after dark . Some on here seem to think that if you are on private land the deer are not pressured and easier to kill. This is not true on clubs in northeast fl. that I have hunted. From what I've seen deer on these clubs do not get kicked up by other hunters and they know where a corn feeder is to get food when it gets dark. In past years I hunted WMAs until they all went quota or leased out and I saw more deer on these area's than what I see on private hunt clubs.

Population Goal

Objective 1:  Manage deer populations on a local level to increase the resolution of our ability to meet the needs and desires of the public. Pass

Objective 2:  Develop an ongoing capability to efficiently and accurately quantify public desires regarding target deer population levels. Pass

Objective 3:  Establish quantifiable deer population objectives for lands within the Wildlife Management Area System On some not all

Objective 4:  Develop and implement a method for reliably determining how many (and where) deer are harvested annually.  Pass

Objective 5:  Ensure early detection and prompt response to diseases that threaten Florida’s deer populations. Pass

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,927 Captain
    edited December 2019 #13
    wayvis said:
    Reel Teal said:

I'm sure that you meant to say our instead of your 3-8 day quota, because I do not support most quota hunts. I would like to know what area you hunt, because the FWC and DMTAG worked very hard to have the rut fall into a hunting season. I know the rut in my area is in bow season, so I would like to have an earlier gun season but not going to happen.  I agree that a lot of fl. has some decent deer hunting but a lot of places have poor deer hunting and I think most areas can be improved with the right regs.
    I agree that many hunters have the wrong perception of fl. hunting. Fl. deer are much harder to hunt than any other south east state that I have hunter. One of the biggest things that make fl. deer so hard to hunt is how nocturnal they are. From trailcam pic's it amazes me that I ever kill a deer, because 99.8% are after dark . Some on here seem to think that if you are on private land the deer are not pressured and easier to kill. This is not true on clubs in northeast fl. that I have hunted. From what I've seen deer on these clubs do not get kicked up by other hunters and they know where a corn feeder is to get food when it gets dark. In past years I hunted WMAs until they all went quota or leased out and I saw more deer on these area's than what I see on private hunt clubs.
    I agree with all that. I hunt central florida. Main rut is end of aug and early sept. They chase hard. I knew the family who sold the ranch to make the wma by me and thats how its always been. That doesn't mean they dont chase throughout the year but if i could be bow hunting late august i would.

Your was meant to refer if you have a quota for a 3 day hunt, its "yours".
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 971 Officer
    Reel Teal said:

I'd kinda have to throw in the obvious  Hunting anywhere bit florida is north of here. In certainly not a crybaby either I hunt just as hard and as many hours down here as I would any other deer season,that's just what I enjoy to do. I also have more than my fair share of good bucks hanging on my wall but woukdnt necessarily equate it to AR's or 5 year 10 year management plans but just amount of time spent in the woods.  Sooner or later an opportunity will present itself(or so 1 would think) unless your hunting pit area of Daytona racetrack. Guess what I'm trying to get at is I've been biting my lip for months on the subject just because I like to get along with others but come on people answers been smacking you in forehead for years.  I dont even know exact specifics for alot of states but all states I've hunted are alot more deer rich environments and they ALL have half bag limits florida does. The whole supply and demand thing I'm sure most have heard of it.  Until you have maximum sustainability in this case would be whitetail "management plan" shouldn't even be in anyone's conversation.  My guess is you could drop it to 1 buck a year In ocala forest and 10 years from now see no improvement because the saying i keep hearing that sounds best is "locks are only meant to keep honest people out'.until you get enough boots on the ground to actually enforce Floridians will do what they do and how they wanna do it period.
    Plenty of boots out there. Most are on the water though rather than in the woods. The FWC’s LE division is one of the largest LE agencies in the country, if not THE largest.
    wayvis said:

Population Goal

Objective 1:  Manage deer populations on a local level to increase the resolution of our ability to meet the needs and desires of the public. Pass

Objective 2:  Develop an ongoing capability to efficiently and accurately quantify public desires regarding target deer population levels. Pass

Objective 3:  Establish quantifiable deer population objectives for lands within the Wildlife Management Area System On some not all

Objective 4:  Develop and implement a method for reliably determining how many (and where) deer are harvested annually.  Pass

Objective 5:  Ensure early detection and prompt response to diseases that threaten Florida’s deer populations. Pass

Guess you didnt follow the key deer massive outbreak/kill?

Item 1 and 2 3 FAIL south of hwy 70 with the exception of some private lands
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 817 Officer
    Plenty of boots out there. Most are on the water though rather than in the woods. The FWC’s LE division is one of the largest LE agencies in the country, if not THE largest.
    Agreed , much easier to sit at the boat ramp and write citations for fishing infractions than humping 5 miles into the swamp. Not knocking them, much more bang for the buck.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,761 Captain
    edited December 2019 #18
    Go to the deerfriendly website for clear review of deer management challenge nationwide.

Habitat loss reporting, the knock down bare hands reporting on the process of ongoing deer habitat loss would be a dandy.
    Note lands currently supporting deer, even wild land human deer hunting, but either Vested for development, or assumed/ “ Projected “ for Development.
    Two profiles: 
    **Development whereby lands are or ‘ envisioned’ would be reserved from development ,however the remaining deer habitat no longer “ Wild” , former Wild Lands Deer Hunting no longer viable
    ** Development whereby no more deer.
    For starters.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,180 Officer
    FloridaOD said:
    Go to the deerfriendly website for clear review of deer management challenge nationwide.

Habitat loss reporting, the knock down bare hands reporting on the process of ongoing deer habitat loss would be a dandy.
    Note lands currently supporting deer, even wild land human deer hunting, but either Vested for development, or assumed/ “ Projected “ for Development.
    Two profiles: 
    **Development whereby lands are or ‘ envisioned’ would be reserved from development ,however the remaining deer habitat no longer “ Wild” , former Wild Lands Deer Hunting no longer viable
    For starters.

Huh?
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,463 Officer
    I have no problem with state trying to fix problems on the public land that they control, after all it was their mismanagement that led to the problems.
     But DON`T drag the private land hunters into the equation. We are capable of taking care of our lands and have been doing so for years under the existing laws.
    FloridaOD said:

Two profiles: 
    For starters.

Huh?
    He fancies himself a Greek philosopher so he enjoys writing in gibberish. 
    OGBOHICA said:
    wayvis said:

Population Goal

Guess you didnt follow the key deer massive outbreak/kill?

Item 1 and 2 3 FAIL south of hwy 70 with the exception of some private lands
    As said before south fl. is just one area of the state that has problems with habitat management. We've always had deer die off's, but that is no reason to suggest that the management plan has completely failed. There will always be something wrong somewhere in the state that the FWC may or may not be able to control. 
    Nah. He said nothing needs fixing.

I guess, in his mind, there’s no way to improve upon what’s already being done.

An unusual voice of support from him!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,429 AG
    drgibby said:
    I have no problem with state trying to fix problems on the public land that they control, after all it was their mismanagement that led to the problems.
     But DON`T drag the private land hunters into the equation. We are capable of taking care of our lands and have been doing so for years under the existing laws.
    I agree.....

hell is getting colder...lol
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    I agree.....

Are you kidding me! Its been the private land hunters that have driven most of the current new regs we now have including AR's.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,165 Captain
    Having been on DMTAG for about ten years....and making the meetings in Ocala with the diverse group and the FWC staff, I am not so sure many posting above were there to listen to the days (not hours) of discussions and hot disagreements from time to time...as we worked with Staff to put together the new Ten Year Plan....The Private Land Hunters are at the table, including some of the large land owners...but, a large segment hunt public land...at the time I started I only hunted public land, but now have a small place and access to a lease...If anything, the new ARs were driven by the public land hunters who wanted more bucks on the landscape....the private land people mostly had ARs in place already.  Of course, since FL has so many diverse habitats, there were differences from location to location...as are reflected in the AR rules by DMUs...these rules can be tweaked as the data comes in from the Tag and Report system.
    Again newton I will disagree with you. I too have sit at these meeting the last ten years.  When I started these meeting its was for public land hunting issues. But it became apparent that these meeting where driven by large land owners, special interest groups and FWC agenda's. Yes we did discuss a lot of issues on public land in south FL. I've listened to how private lands are less pressured and much better at managing their deer than public lands. This is only true on some. Most of the private lands that are leased in the state are not managed like large private land owners. I would say most of the private leases across the state follow state rules mostly. And now that lease prices are so high many have the same or more pressure than quota hunt areas. Most leases in north fl. have 1 member per 100 to 150 acers, and have a 100 day or more deer season. Our quota WMAs (which are most WMAs) limit quota's to 150 acres are more to 1 quota permit and have very short seasons and very limited doe hunting. As you and I both know DMTAG is about deer management and not public land management or so that's what I've been told when trying to bring up WMA problems. But in the 10 year plan we do have an objective to maximize access to deer hunting opportunities and advocate for expanding those  opportunities; which includes public land. Although we have been ask about changes to some hunting opportunities on WMA's by the FWC the DMTAG has not asked for a full review of the WMAs system and what can be done to address many of the problems that we hear over and over.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,066 Officer
    Both of you remember specific issues spread over the years. I was also involved in Ocala at the first meeting and only missed maybe two meetings during the entire process. Newton remembers closer to what I remember. I represent public lands hunting and still love our WMAs. We did a balanced job on state and private lands. Because of my family’s long history in Richloam and Green Swamp we were able to form a sub committee to address the late rut and developed Zone B. The FWC still accepts input on ruts and specific areas to better manage the zones. No one and nothing is ever perfect so we’ll continue to listen and learn going forward. Biggest issue today is our State’s growth and the inability to access some state lands. Gonna just keep plugging at it. Safe hunting folks!
    wayvis said:
    ANUMBER1 said:
    drgibby said:
    I agree.....

Are you kidding me! Its been the private land hunters that have driven most of the current new regs we now have including AR's.
    not in my area, newton cook bout got his **** beat in chiefland.

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    IMO, your **** DMTAG was about hunter satisfaction on public land and eff the private land folks that restricted harvest on their leases.

Hollinswood ranch in Citrus county was one of (if not the first) first private lands to record data for the state.
    Whole weight/gutted weight, sex, points, jawbone and kidney removal for many years..

That data wasn't even included in the plan, if it was even recorded by the old G&F..
    why didn't the state require private lands to keep and submit logs from antlerless tags issued each year?

seems to me that would be a lot of data right there????

our club receives 35 tags each year (since 2005) and there is no reporting requirement from FWC on harvest data.