Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

New to NW FL, kinda.

I am an avid outdoorsman (fish, hunt, trap) and have been fishing SW Florida (basically everywhere from Sanibel to Marco Island) for about 10 years now during family vacations and some guys trips. We mostly do inshore for snook and reds, some offshore for bottom-dwellers every now and again. 

My brother-in-law who incidentally is my fishing buddy is moving to Tallahassee in June 2020. We may have a chance to get down there sometime before then as well. We both have never been there let alone fished NW Florida. I have read as much as I can but want to know from people who live there what our best option is to start. I am assuming trout somewhere near/around St. Marks would be a good start. 

I also like to bird hunt so I am excited to be near south GA, I have heard there is some great quail hunting there. 

Any information that you locals have is great. No, you don't have to give away your favorite spots, just point us in the right direction is all I'm politely asking. 

Thanks!

Replies

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    Trout/reds/flounder anywhere from Keaton to Appalach. Find the grass and oyster bars. You will adapt to the area if you spend time trying. 

Lots of quail up here. Several wild bird plantation but you won't never hunt them unless you marry in to the family. There are places that do paid pen bird hunts too.  
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 15,567 Moderator
    tch2391 said:
    I am an avid outdoorsman (fish, hunt, trap) and have been fishing SW Florida (basically everywhere from Sanibel to Marco Island) for about 10 years now during family vacations and some guys trips. We mostly do inshore for snook and reds, some offshore for bottom-dwellers every now and again. 

My brother-in-law who incidentally is my fishing buddy is moving to Tallahassee in June 2020. We may have a chance to get down there sometime before then as well. We both have never been there let alone fished NW Florida. I have read as much as I can but want to know from people who live there what our best option is to start. I am assuming trout somewhere near/around St. Marks would be a good start. 

I also like to bird hunt so I am excited to be near south GA, I have heard there is some great quail hunting there. 

Any information that you locals have is great. No, you don't have to give away your favorite spots, just point us in the right direction is all I'm politely asking. 

Thanks!

Welcome to The Forgotten Coast. There is a wealth of knowledge here and I'm sure our guys will offer some.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 2,060 Captain
    welcome to the area
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,594 Admiral
    Welcome to God's country.
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • greenbonegreenbone Posts: 151 Deckhand
    You will have some of the best hunting and fish’n in this area. My neighbors duck , deer and dove hunt . The inshore and off shore fish’n is great. It’s not called Forgotten coast for nothing!  
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,996 Admiral
    Some nice beaches too.  SGI & CSB are hard to beat.