Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Inshore fishing with Power bait grub vs Gulp swimming mullett

I usually buy Gulp off season for nice discount. This year was able to buy packs of Power bait at a great price. My question is which do you use and why do you prefer. I appreciate all replies pro and con

Replies

• bluewater00bluewater00 Posts: 131 Deckhand
    Gulps work best for me, but I find that after a few fish, gotta freshen up with a new one or dip it again

• austjjaustjj Posts: 152 Deckhand
    I agree about the gulp. I bought leak proof containers from $1 store and will refresh when I am out on the water. I did get the Power bait at great price, so hope they work as well for me.
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 354 Deckhand
    I seriously doubt it makes a dime worth of difference, it’s all glorified plastic and is designed to catch more fishermen than fish. 

There is a reason why even today in the era of glorified plastic, Navy Seals are still given a simple bucktail jig on a hand line as part of their survival kit, rather than gulp, or berkely, or spooltek, or live target, or flairhawk, or DOA or firstlight or zman or bomber or mirrolure or any of that. Something to think about...

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 764 Officer
    Bucktails last forever. All the plastics have a limited shelf life without some sort of special packaging. A seal wouldn't have a place to carry that liquid goop on a halo jump. I like spoons and buckails.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,413 Admiral
    I've had good luck with gulp, specifically for flounder.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    Lostconch said:
    Bucktails last forever. All the plastics have a limited shelf life without some sort of special packaging. A seal wouldn't have a place to carry that liquid goop on a halo jump. I like spoons and buckails.

I am open to those as well, need to be flexible, never know what they will eat any given day

• Grey BeardGrey Beard Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Gulp is not plastic but is water based. Sometimes scent can make all the difference when fish are neutral. Try dead sticking a bucktail. Guessing no body would! Gulp will work dead sticking. I just wish they would go back to the older formula so they didn't get destroyed so easily. Sometimes I'm able to re-use torn gulp mending with super glue gel.

Grey Beard
    I have gulp swimming mullet last for 5 or 6 fish, agree not as good as old formula. I will use your super glue gel suggestion. I have some power bait that I hope work if not, I will order more gulp when in Florida. I need to explore more in the waters around Fort Myers Beach, Estero, Sanibel, and Pine Island. Not much luck catching trout last year as previous year, the kids love catching lady fish, and we had great luck catching them. Years past was trout, cobia, jacks, pompano, grouper, and few reds
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,186 Officer
    kellercl said:
    I've had good luck with gulp, specifically for flounder.
    Money!
    Gulp can be bought at a great price in the winter months, plus in Jan they usually start rebate programs. The last time I bought Gulp swimming mullet, after rebate ended up around $2 for pack of ten, .20 cents a piece
  • chicochico Punta Gorda and PennsylvaniaPosts: 554 Officer
    Gulp works great for flounder and the black seabass will tear it up.