Home General Hunting

Lake O and "burned fish" article...

124»

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    bicyclist said:
    I guess my point is we spray because of nutrients THE main problem that needs to be addressed. And if we don't spray our natural systems will be destroyed by invasive exotic monocultures that greatly harm native flora and fauna. We have to manage our systems smarter,  spray less,  develop more biocontrols AND fix our nutrient problems.
    I notice on the middle SJR where they spray, the exotics come back much, much quicker than the natives.  So what's really happening is they have nuked the native vegetation to "control" the exotics.  It's pathetic that this is the best option they've managed to come up with in many decades.  There are people out there who have offered atlernatives but I believe money and politics are at play keeping them out of the picture.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    spangler said:
    You may be spraying because nutrients are causing invasive to grow out of control, but then you're just caught in a cycle which you propel.  Should I have said pedal?  Plants act as a nutrient sink.  You kill plants.  Nutrients released back into water.  Plants grow even more because even more nutrients.  More plants.  More spray.  Ad nauseum.
    Death cycle.  That's your new nickname.

This is certainly true but the timing of the events can greatly reduce the nutrient issues of sprayed plants and the alternative is still not an alternative.
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    bicyclist said:
    I guess my point is we spray because of nutrients THE main problem that needs to be addressed. And if we don't spray our natural systems will be destroyed by invasive exotic monocultures that greatly harm native flora and fauna. We have to manage our systems smarter,  spray less,  develop more biocontrols AND fix our nutrient problems.
    I notice on the middle SJR where they spray, the exotics come back much, much quicker than the natives.  So what's really happening is they have nuked the native vegetation to "control" the exotics.  It's pathetic that this is the best option they've managed to come up with in many decades.  There are people out there who have offered atlernatives but I believe money and politics are at play keeping them out of the picture.

Something is going to occupy the space that's for sure and they are not called invasive for no reason. Most of the projects I work on we only spray exotic monocultures and a mix of native and exotic is left alone.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    That might be the criteria for the FWC and their contractors but in practice they are just dumping that stuff everywhere.  Every square inch of the shoreline out as far as 100 yrds.  As well as just leaving the pump running when not targeting anything and just emptying into the water.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.