Home General Hunting

Get a laugh at this nonsense - BOHICA

2»

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 7,773 Admiral
    PM sent to ZIMMY4009 & bowhunterfor life
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 969 Officer
    And I was wrong again. Number of bears trapped and killed per year was almost 40 not 14. The management plan has every piece of information you could ask for so long as you sift through it. They'll try and ride scientific approach till wheels fall off but nature has no filters and can be awfully cruel to abundance of animals and food shortages 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,758 Captain
    No Bear Hunt until long term habitat protection in place.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 969 Officer
    FloridaOD said:
    No Bear Hunt until long term habitat protection in place.
    In sure your right. Long term habitat protection should include thinning bear population. They are a destructive animal in there daily routines. Last years sweet acorn crop had acorns loaded everywhere I looked. Bear would just assume climb the tree and break as many branches as possible pulling acorns in like a nest. Some of these trees have half or more of there branches destroyed so there will be no more acorns on that particular portion of the tree.  They would do same thing every year there was banner crop of **** nuts growing up. Never saw a bear up there but you could definitely tell where theyve been. __it tore up everywhere. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,163 Captain
    Interesting read:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120301085447if_/http://rliv.com/pic/LewisClark.pdf

Not about Florida per se, but more generally about how the Native Americans severely persecuted predator species as a form of wildlife management, as recorded in Lewis and Clark’s data. 

Like Zimmy said, part of healthy habitat preservation is management of predators. They don’t manage or balance themselves. There’s never been a major land habitat man has studied where indigenous peoples weren’t the dominant predator for several thousand years and where the other predators weren’t aggressively checked by man. 
  • wayviswayvis FloridaPosts: 137 Deckhand

"What about a hunt?

While there was no proposal to hunt at the December Commission meeting, we can’t predict what a future Commission or Chairman might decide to do. Today, our Commission approved a world-class, science-based Bear Management Plan"

I read this as the FWC has been told not to discuss or suggest a bear hunt is needed. This was done with the tag and report systems years ago. So the only way I see a bear hunt happening is for a couple of commissioners getting the nuts to put it on the table.

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,367 Captain
    I refer you to posts #2 and 23.... End of story... 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,429 AG
    I have 5 different bears on camera on my lease in Levy county.

A sow with 2 cubs, young male (tagged) , and large boar (not tagged).
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • wayviswayvis FloridaPosts: 137 Deckhand
    N. Cook said:
    The bears are dying....the males kill the cubs when there is an overpopulation...the females flee with cubs and end up dead on the road...or in a subdivision and in trouble....young males cannot find their own territory and end up in trouble...and bears causing problems in rural areas are quietly removed with a 22 slug in their guts...to run and bed up and die a long death...All of this tragedy because of the ignorant anti hunting sentiment in our voting population....most totally unfamiliar with hunting and science based game management....and opposing hunting on an emotional basis....Disneyfied...

Have to disagree Newton. This is because of our Commissioners not having the guts to do what's right. So tell me again why we need Commissioners?
    edited December 2019 #42
    How in the world did Florida Bear population find natural equilibrium some hundreds of years ago......!?, before the advent of the North American Wildlife Management Model.

Is Public Bear Hunt, per Governor Scott’s declaration to protect Florida familys, or as a “ Referendum on Hunting” something not worth pursuing?
    How do we even acknowledge some Florida hunters, and some Florida Conservation organization recognized as generally “ pro hunt” that opposed the hunt.
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 452 Deckhand
    Where did you learn to speak Greek so well?

You have rare moments of clarity but usually it’s just incoherent rambling like above. 
    edited December 2019 #44

You have rare moments of clarity but usually it’s just incoherent rambling like above. 

Do you have any idea how JLunchbucket  projects as an image and demographic?
    You likely wear the User Name with defiant honor. 
    I am Joe Lunch Bucket.
    Well now, my best friend is a Greek Native; Antonios. Greek Cowboy.Get a Laugh indeed, even though almost missed......
    May your Comprehensive Skills expand.
    At less than 50 inputs here you are, well, good for you, Develop.Come to the point where you learn to simply Stop.Skip the Key Board.
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 452 Deckhand
    And may your coherent writing skills expand for the good of your own image! 

Merry Christmas!