Home General Hunting

Get a laugh at this nonsense - BOHICA

OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 210 Deckhand

“We’re proud to have approved a world-class plan for bear management in Florida,” said Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Chairman Robert Spottswood. “This represents a comprehensive, science-based approach. We will continue to prioritize public safety while we manage bear populations” 

What about a hunt?

While there was no proposal to hunt at the December Commission meeting, we can’t predict what a future Commission or Chairman might decide to do. Today, our Commission approved a world-class, science-based Bear Management Plan

Replies

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,367 Captain
    edited December 2019 #2
    Lol.... Typical feel good but do nothing, politically appealing verbiage that kicks the can down the road, while patting themselves on the back for a job well done....
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    I'm going to continue to exercise restraint.  The plan actually arms us with the ability to hold fwc accountable.  The plan, without debate, states that hunting is the only viable means to manage bear populations.  Not sure why a proposal to actually do so is being delayed, however like most things in politics, I'm assuming it's about timing.
    A hunt is coming. 
    They can't contradict the world-class plan... lol
    Of course, the above quote.... contains the contradiction.. (apparently, they're managing bear populations without using the only reasonable means).  It could also read:
    "We have a world class plan to manage bears.  We are not following what it says to control populations"
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,163 Captain
    Could be waiting to see if the Constitution Revision Commission gets canned. If so, the likelihood of a bear hunting amendment being presented on a near-future ballot will be greatly reduced. 

Remember we had discussion many months ago that affirmative steps were being taken to curtail the stupid amendments that get put out there. There are people in power who see how damaging the bad amendments are and have been working behind the scenes for a while to end this. If they keep the will, the right people are in place to push these and other steps thru. 

Then the Commission won’t have an excuse to fear the antis. I don’t think they should fear them now. But when someone is convinced there’s a real boogyman that’s gonna get them, you got to go thru the motions of slaying him and blocking the closet anyhow. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    Until bear hunts are approved in neighborhoods I'm not sure how bear hunts address the bear/people problem we have.  Hunts take place in the woods.  Problem bears are in the subdivisions.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    Bears are an increasing problem in subdivisions, because there are too many bears in the woods...
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,359 Admiral
    Until bear hunts are approved in neighborhoods I'm not sure how bear hunts address the bear/people problem we have.  Hunts take place in the woods.  Problem bears are in the subdivisions.
    This
    You should have been here yesterday
    spangler said:
    Bears are an increasing problem in subdivisions, because there are too many bears in the woods...
    They are increasing in subdivision because people keep putting subdivisions in their backyards. And then they find easy meals
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,498 Officer
    I was told by a state trapper for fwc that nuisance bear calls are on the rise, and that when a bear is trapped they are never released in another location.....so much for a world class bear management plan. Bears are being killed, just not by hunters.... shhh don’t tell the antis.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 528 Officer
    edited December 2019 #10
    I was told by a state trapper for fwc that nuisance bear calls are on the rise, and that when a bear is trapped they are never released in another location.....so much for a world class bear management plan. Bears are being killed, just not by hunters.... shhh don’t tell the antis.
    Nothing new. FWC would rather kill them in secrecy then issue special opportunity permits and make a profit off the same bear population.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 969 Officer
    Guess this explains why there wasnt a overwhelming population of antihunters at the meeting they already knew there wouldnt be a hunt next year. I scanned through the agenda and management plan the plan they went out of there way to cite other states and how successful hunting was to managing and the revenue that it brought to local economies and the state as a whole and though I didnt read it word for word I did see where the amount of bears hit by vehicles in florida annually is about the same as number of bears they allowed to be harvested in 2015.  Oh well I'm certainly done thinking about it. By time they do end up having a hunt the headaches from dealing with the opposition wont even make it enjoyable anyways.  It is what it is. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,758 Captain
    Florida Rural counties would gladly favor new toll roads and related development instead of Bear Hunt revenue.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    edited December 2019 #13
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,326 AG
    spangler said:
    What woods? Regardless, you can't hunt them where they are a problem.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,163 Captain
    spangler said:
    What woods? Regardless, you can't hunt them where they are a problem.
    Depends on what permissions one can get from land owners. 
    edited December 2019 #16
    According to the map I live in an abundant area. I spend more than my fair share of time in the woods and I’ve never seen one in the woods, ever. Once in the st marks wildlife refuge I saw one with a cub. I’ve never seen one dead on the side of the road. There is not an overwhelming black bear population in the woods up here.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,758 Captain
    Current upbeat population maps must also be viewed with future habitat status in mind.

Press the Commission for projected habitat loss maps, “ Study”.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,367 Captain
    It seems i can't finish a beer and micturate around Ocala without seeing one. That place needs some bear hunting, BAD!
    Big Mak said:
    It seems i can't finish a beer and micturate around Ocala without seeing one. That place needs some bear hunting, BAD!
    Your not kidding
    Note the years listed for each BMU population study in the graphic above. Really should have up-to-date numbers before proclaiming they have "a world-class plan for bear management in Florida." Is that plan based off 2010 numbers? Shouldn't be hard to manage those 30 bears in Big Bend....
    One of the wmas I hunt regularly I sometimes  see more bears  than deer. Saw 5 different ones on a morning hunt in there.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 822 Officer
    Note the years listed for each BMU population study in the graphic above. Really should have up-to-date numbers before proclaiming they have "a world-class plan for bear management in Florida." Is that plan based off 2010 numbers? Shouldn't be hard to manage those 30 bears in Big Bend....
    For sure.  This one was on a piece of property that is not shaded.  And I can assure you that they aren't rare, any feeders lower than 8' get destroyed immediately.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,736 AG
    Big Mak said:
    Lol.... Typical feel good but do nothing, politically appealing verbiage that kicks the can down the road, while patting themselves on the back for a job well done....
    Gene and I do not often agree....but on this we are 100% in agreement....It is not just pitiful...but borders on malfeasance and misfeasance ...
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 210 Deckhand
    They didnt even have the guts to take a vote
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,773 Admiral
    This is COMPLETELY untrue. Only bear that are put down are the few who have done something particularly egregious. This is a SMALL number of those trapped. 

It's fine to argue the political points of how the decision will ultimately be made, and surely if there are deficiencies in the science it's proper to document the better science/research.......and opinions are always something that in a free society we are allowed to have a diversity of.......but.......to quote an untruth in service of your point of view is wrong.....no matter which side you are on.

You now know the FACT of bear trapping......so the right thing and quit repeating untruth as ultimately that sort of thing does not do honor to ones' cause.
    bswiv said:
    This is COMPLETELY untrue. Only bear that are put down are the few who have done something particularly egregious. This is a SMALL number of those trapped. 

It's fine to argue the political points of how the decision will ultimately be made, and surely if there are deficiencies in the science it's proper to document the better science/research.......and opinions are always something that in a free society we are allowed to have a diversity of.......but.......to quote an untruth in service of your point of view is wrong.....no matter which side you are on.

You now know the FACT of bear trapping......so the right thing and quit repeating untruth as ultimately that sort of thing does not do honor to ones' cause.
    Admiral status is much better than greenhorn. Glad to see the account deal got worked out 
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,314 Officer
    Continue to do the same thing expecting to get a different outcome = Dumba$$ 
    nothing more normal less 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,062 Officer
    I’ll be the minority and say it does not rule out a future hunt. I think the Commission is trying to rely more on science and are still educating the masses. I heard one news blurb where lady was saddened that hunting is part of the approved plan. 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 515 Officer
    One of the wmas I hunt regularly I sometimes  see more bears  than deer. Saw 5 different ones on a morning hunt in there.
    100% I could kill a big bear at picayune strand faster than a 10 point buck      seen them at just about every wma south of three lakes but big cypress is loaded.   maybe its because i choose to hunt the most secluded hard to reach areas that i see them or fresh sign regularly. also on a side note having bears in your area doesnt affect the deer movement much as i have had bears walk by stand or game cameras and hour later deer walk by and vise versa     but seeing a cougar repeated times on camera or stand or finding tracks over and over time to find a new place to hunt cause your area is toast.  this is my experience.
    bswiv said:

I repeated what was told to me by an fwc trapper is all I can tell you. I don’t believe I was quoting an untruth in service from my point of view at all, because the employee that told me had no reason to lie.I was at the check station when they dispatched a huge male bear ( didn’t ask if it did anything egregious though).. I didn’t hunt or apply for the last bear hunt and won’t apply for the next one, but if the science is there to have a bear hunt we should have one. I do believe fwc caved in to the anti hunting community, and that’s why we don’t have a hunt currently ...Once again, I did repeat what an fwc trapper told me, so take it for wiw......you are correct, I have no reason to lie about anything I have said, and in no way meant to dishonor anyone’s cause. If they want to call it a world class bear management plan so be it.
    bswiv said:

I repeated what was told to me by an fwc trapper is all I can tell you. I don’t believe I was quoting an untruth in service from my point of view at all, because the employee that told me had no reason to lie.I was at the check station when they dispatched a huge male bear ( didn’t ask if it did anything egregious though).. I didn’t hunt or apply for the last bear hunt and won’t apply for the next one, but if the science is there to have a bear hunt we should have one. I do believe fwc caved in to the anti hunting community, and that’s why we don’t have a hunt currently ...Once again, I did repeat what an fwc trapper told me, so take it for wiw......you are correct, I have no reason to lie about anything I have said, and in no way meant to dishonor anyone’s cause. If they want to call it a world class bear management plan so be it.

I cant find the number for total animals trapped per year but state averages 14 trapped bears a year that they kill.that number is low as of late with the high in 2015 over 100 bears trapped and killed. I believe every word he told you they get rid of alot more than they relocate