Skip to main content
Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

FPI offshore 12/6

Left the inlet this morning around 7am. We saw a lot of boats headed north so we joined the party. We started fishing at 160ft straight from Vero Beach. We trolled the area along with the other dozen boats or so. We zig zagged going from 160 to 220 heading north. Had a sail hit but no luck. Finally picked up a king fish in 200ft on a deep diving lure. Was a little shocked to get a king out so deep. About an hour later we got a nice mahi in 190ft on a red/white ilander with a ballyhoo. I did see other stuff caught on the other boats, my guess is they were trolling naked ballyhoo rigged with swivels. The reason I say that is I spoke to a guy at a tackle shop who was out over the weekend and they got 6 sails and a few mahi and that is what they were hitting. I'm thinking of maybe rigging a few that way for tomorrow.

Replies

• plasteredplastered Posts: 715 Officer
    Thanks for the report,will be deep dropping
    today.Hope the Mahi come to us.
  • SouthForkSouthFork Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Gary do you mean the swivel with the o-ring that you attach to a circle hook?  I’ve had nothing but short strikes with that rig.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 1,607 Captain
    SouthFork said:
    Gary do you mean the swivel with the o-ring that you attach to a circle hook?  I’ve had nothing but short strikes with that rig.
    Yeah that is the rig.   When you get the short strike are you dropping it back?  Sailfish have a tendency to hit it and then come back which is why you drop back.  
  • SouthForkSouthFork Posts: 44 Deckhand
    By short I mean only the head and chin weight are left, clean cut and probably something toothy.  Thinking of adding a second circle hook with titanium leader.  I do drop back but nothing wants what’s left
  • pjepje Posts: 769 Officer
    SouthFork said:

You need to fish that rig with reel in free spool and clicker on , you can add very slight drag while getting used to it . Set rigger clips lightly to where they just hold , twist line 10x before putting in rigger clip . When it pops get to reel and free spool and clicker off , point rod at fish , give a slow 8 count then push drag lever up . As you get more used to doing it you can lower the count . Reaction time is key , you can also increase bow in line from rod tip to clip for drop back until you can get to rod .

Sailfish will mouth the bait and turn out of spread to swallow it , they will drop it if they feel any resistance . I haven't used the swivel method , I prefer floss rigged chin weighted hoos , but the same method applies . Once you master this your catch ratio will go up .
  • KnotikoKnotiko Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Regular J hook under the gills with a rigging wire wrap around beak (ad a chin weight as needed) is always a solid way to go and has been proven for years.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Posts: 1,607 Captain
    Knotiko said:
    Regular J hook under the gills with a rigging wire wrap around beak (ad a chin weight as needed) is always a solid way to go and has been proven for years.
    I like this method as well  It's easy to use.  I didn't try any that day, just didn't think if it.  A couple of other options to present a "swimming" ballyhoo that have worked for me is a chain rig connected to a plastic head.  The plastic head slips over the ballyhoo and has a weight and lip on it to make it dive and they swim well.  Actually we got the mahi on that.the next day.   The other is the ilander hula head....they are silver and weighted as well.  I don't do as well with those but I know others like them.