Gold Spoon?????

Help, help, help......I think my gold spoon is defective, I haven't / can't catch anything on any of the spoons in my kit! (see attached photo)

People always says a gold spoon is the most productive redfish lures ever but not one redfish has ever even looked at mine. I've fished it slow, fast, varied and everything in between and nothing seems to wanna eat it.

How do I fish a gold spoon so that it will catch redfish?

PJ

Replies

• Feeding FrenzyFeeding Frenzy Posts: 247 Officer
    PJ,

Give us some more info. Where, when, how are you fishing...
    K
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Get rid of that fancy **** dimpled spoon and tie on a gold Johnson spoon or a cheapo "Rainbow" from Wally world and throw it out and reel it in and you WILL catch a redfish if there are any around where you are fishing.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    PJ,

Give us some more info. Where, when, how are you fishing...

I fish anywhere from Estero Bay all the way through 10000 Islands. I usually fish the bays, creeks, oyster bars and mangrove edges from my kayak. I know fish like moving water so I try to fish when the water is moving. I like to fish the incoming tides so I can get a look at the actual bottom that will be underwater as the day continues.

Hope that helps, thanks

PJ
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 596 Officer
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    Get rid of that fancy **** dimpled spoon and tie on a gold Johnson spoon or a cheapo "Rainbow" from Wally world and throw it out and reel it in and you WILL catch a redfish if there are any around where you are fishing.
    agreed. If you want to spend the money, a Marsh Works golden spoon is plated with 24-karat gold, it works incredibly well and never rusts or wears out. The Johnson spoon is cheap and well made. A medium-to slow or a jigging retrieve around oyster bars is the trick during outgoing tide.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    I've never had much luck with a spoon for reds either. do you barley keep it off the bottom? use a slight jigging action? or do you keep it up in the water collumm?
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 596 Officer
    Also use attach the spoon to a swivel rather than right to the leader. Better action and less line twist.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    Thanks for all the replies.

I have really small sampo ball bearing swivels attached to all my spoons, that pic was taken off the company website.
  • TimGleasonTimGleason Posts: 281 Deckhand
    Those are my favorite spoons - catch a ton on those. Throw and and reel. I put a split ring and swivel in and you are good to go!