Gold Spoon????

pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
Help, help, help......I think my gold spoon is defective, I haven't / can't catch anything on any of the spoons in my kit! (see attached photo)

People always says a gold spoon is the most productive redfish lures ever but not one redfish has ever even looked at mine. I've fished it slow, fast, varied and everything in between and nothing seems to wanna eat it.

How do I fish a gold spoon so that it will catch redfish?

PJ

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    I've been asking the same question for years!
  • FOREVERHOOKEDFOREVERHOOKED Posts: 90 Deckhand
    I try different speeds till I find what they want. I also stop sometimes let it flutter a bit they continue the retrieve. Most of my catches have been on a steady med retrieve. Put a swivel on the spoon so it doesent spin on you
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,157 Admiral
    Go get a 1/2 oz Gold Johnson Sprite and let it rip. My number one go to spoon for reds.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• windysurferwindysurfer Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Maybe you just not holding your mouth right, lol! Every lure has it's place, I use to fish exclusively with gold spoons but have since moved on to other lures just for a change. I do still carry a gold Johnson weedless just in case. The thing about spoons is their versatility, you can fish them on the bottom, on the top, fast or slow, weedless, and even add a soft bait to slow the "fall". With a spoon I have caught more variety of species than any other lure, snook, red's, trout, jack's, mackerel and even flounder. Most spoons mimic baitfish so you will need to use where the fish are feeding on baitfish. You can twitch it on the bottom in grass or near oyster beds to mimic shrimp or crabs. Have you tried any other baits when spoons were not working? maybe the fish were just not feeding?
    As far as redfish go, make sure you are using a fluorocarbon larder at least 5' long tied directly to line and have an open loop tied to the spoon allowing it to move freely. Sounds like you are fishing it correctly by changing retrieve speed to find what works, don't be afraid to let it rest on the bottom. You can always search on you-tube for a video of "redfish on spoons" just to see that they do work : )
    All else fails, use the lure/ bait you are confidant with and you will always have a good day!
  • Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    Spineyman wrote: »
    Go get a 1/2 oz Gold Johnson Sprite and let it rip. My number one go to spoon for reds.
    ^^^^.This...is the spoon you want.
    P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg
  • DKDDKD Posts: 375 Deckhand
    Are you catching fish with other lures?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,444 Captain
    The spoons in that picture are just fine (and unlike the Johnson spoon... you can actually put a new hook on them when it's needed.). How (and when) to fish a spoon are the real reasons many don't do well with them at all. Find another angler that uses them successfully and fish with them if possible (your rig or theirs, that's one of the best reasons to join a fishing club...) and you'll learn more in a day than you will in ten days on your own. Even better, check around in your area for a guide that uses spoons, hook up with a second (or third) angler to keep the cost down and get a booking with them. A really good guide is also a teacher.... and they'll usually tell you what time of year that they do well with spoons. If you talk to a guide that doesn't give you straight answers to simple "gear type" questions.... find another guide (there's plenty to chose from in most areas).

By the way I mostly use spoons in summer (if it's winter and I'm using a spoon it's the smallest I can find - think smallest Barracuda spoon they make way back up inside the freshwater areas in the backcountry of the 'Glades).
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Put a swivel on the spoon so it doesent spin on you

YES! This is key, place that swivel between you line and your Fluorocarbon leader. Keeps your line from getting overly twisted. I seem to remember that braid that get's too twisted will be more susceptible to wind knots on the cast. SPRO makes an excellent 30lb and 50lb class swivel that is very very tiny (would be almost invisible to fish.)
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,178 Admiral
    Ole faithful Relecto's

http://www.luhrjensen.com/products/inshore/reflecto-spoon

They stopped producing them with feathers so I tied my own on these.
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    When there is a lot of scattered grass and it is near impossible to fish top water plugs, i usually go to a weedless gold spoon for my reds....
  • pjstevkopjstevko Posts: 513 Officer
    YES! This is key, place that swivel between you line and your Fluorocarbon leader. Keeps your line from getting overly twisted. I seem to remember that braid that get's too twisted will be more susceptible to wind knots on the cast. SPRO makes an excellent 30lb and 50lb class swivel that is very very tiny (would be almost invisible to fish.)

I have those swivel attached to every one of my spoons already and I am using a long fluoro leader so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
  • FOREVERHOOKEDFOREVERHOOKED Posts: 90 Deckhand
    There is no wrong way to fish the spoon. Just have to keep at it. When you learn the pattern that works then it will change next time lol just keep fishing it they will pay off
  • rickcrickc Posts: 9,172 Admiral
    depends a lot on where you are fishing. Fish that have been hit hard sometimes spook from a spoon.

in clear shallow water I go with the 1/8 oz gold johnson silver minnow

now snook around mangroves in stained water 1/2 oz johnson sprite in silver

deeper open water flats 1/4 oz gold johnson silver minnow

Captain Mike makes a good redfish spoon for shallow water

and the redfish magic spinnerbait works good in stained water around oyster bars.

but I think you would do better with a 5 or 6 inch jerkbait with no weight and a gamagatzo wide gap worm hook
  • ChumbagChumbag Posts: 381 Officer
    There is some good advice given. I always use a swivel and usually significant wrist action to make the spoon dart, flutter, and sink. The amount and speed of wrist action depends on the depth and weed presence. Quick snaps of the wrist clear a lot of weeds.
  • Long_Live_SnookLong_Live_Snook Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Split Shot wrote: »
    Ole faithful Relecto's

http://www.luhrjensen.com/products/inshore/reflecto-spoon

They stopped producing them with feathers so I tied my own on these.

I have a bunch of the Luhrjensen spoons with feathers at my shop sitting in a box. Maybe I should try them.:beer
  • CatfishCatfish Posts: 527 Officer
    I use the same spoons you have pictured. I would say about 50% of my reds are caught with them. I normally fish them when the water is a little higher at a medium retrieve with no swivel. They cover a lot of ground and you can really work up and down through the water column. Just keep giving them a shot. They have there time and place.
  • landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
    I use Clark or Cajun Thunder gold spoons. I tried the dimpled surface spoons with no luck. I use an S-Pro swivel and 20-50lb fluorocarbon leader around 24-30". I normally just use a steady retrieve, fairly fast paced for most lure fishing I have done. The wrist twitches seem to make fish suspicious when I can sight them. A flutter to the bottom when being chased has been successful multiple times. The areas I fish them are pretty identical. Grass flats 1-3' deep in the Gulf with pretty good water clarity. If you spot a red don't be afraid to drop it right on his face. They seem to eat it by reflex.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,582 Captain
    The hooks on your spoons leave plenty of room for a Mr twister tail or other wiggly tails to give it more color action etc etc.
    Sometimes too the fish just are not there or worse always looking the other way when the lure goes by them. Wiigly tail addition just might create more vibration in the water to get their attention as well.

That's why we call it fishing NOT catching.
  • DinnertimeDinnertime Posts: 57 Deckhand
    They work great in South Carolina also, often tipped with a Gulp Jerbait Tail, however it does shorten the casting distance.
  • wrightacklewrightackle Posts: 89 Deckhand
    Lot of good advice in this thread. No one has mentioned the acme gold sidewinder or the little cleo. The 1/5 or 1/3 oz in the sidewinder or the 1/8 or 1/4 oz in the little cleo have always been my favorites. Never had any luck with the spoons you have pictured in your post. Change the treble hooks out to a quality single hook. You will be amazed how well these small spoons work. If you are fishing sandy bottom just let them settle and lift them off the bottom and let them settle once again.