Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Flyfishing for river reds and snook

Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Senior MemberInglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,849 Captain
I've been doing a lot of tree trimming and much needed yardwork lately w/ the nice cool working weather but yesterday afternoon it was especially nice so I dropped the boat in the river in Yankeetown and went fishing. I only had a couple hrs  so I flew down river to see what the Gulf looked like? The river water was 63 and I suspected the gulf would be warmer. At 66~67 I was right but the water wasn't moving much and the tide was bottoming out. I tried a few places I'd been catching them lately with nothing but a couple ladyfish to show for it.
With time running out I headed back into the river and since it wasn't too windy I strung up my 10'-7 weight streamer rod and started casting at some of the likely places. Pretty much casting practice I thought. I was using a all white mallabou  streamer about 4" long and only had one hit and miss so I changed to a weighted yellow mallabou and caught a snookling about 18~17" on the 2nd cast. Moving along the shoreline w/ my trolling motor I caught 3 more snooklings with some being a little bigger and some around the same as the first. I was really having fun as I hadn't caught anything flyfishing in a while. Moving farther up into the freshwater I hooked something a little heavier>>> a 20" keeper redfish on the same yellow fly! By then it was time to leave so I put my red on ice for dinner and got out of there. The noseeumz  were getting worse the farther up river I got anyway.
I know this report isn't anything newsworthy and pretty chincy after reading the reports of the guys slaying the fish on the negative tides!! But it was such a beautiful day and I got to enjoy my favorite type of fishing>>>>>>>  Life is Good!!!
I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!

Replies