flounder skins

badcastbadcast Posts: 128 Deckhand
    If I catch a legal flounder can I cut off the skin next to the finns on the white side to use for bait..it is legal in new York I just don't know about florida.   And can I fish with skins from filleting the day  before...thank you

Replies

• poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 73 Greenhorn
    from FWC:

(2) Landed in Whole Condition Requirement – A person harvesting flounder shall land each flounder in whole condition. A person may not possess in or on Florida Waters a flounder that has been beheaded, sliced, divided, filleted, ground, skinned, scaled, or deboned. This provision will not be construed to prohibit evisceration (gutting) of a flounder, or removal of gills from a flounder.

I kinda doubt you'd get in trouble for removing some skin from one side, but based on the rule I'd use other fish for cut bait. Ladyfish/mullet/pinfish are always good
  • badcastbadcast Posts: 128 Deckhand
    glad I ask,,,thank  you
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,016 Captain
    You can definitely use skins from the day before 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,200 Officer
    edited November 22 #5
    Absolutely not. Even in states that allow you to filet one for bait, if you retain the rest of the fish, they will fine the hell out of you for possession of strips from a previous voyage. Each strip in your possession counts as a illegal fish. Use Gulps. Nothing better for flounder.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,016 Captain
    Barrell said:
    Absolutely not. Even in states that allow you to filet one for bait, if you retain the rest of the fish, they will fine the hell out of you for possession of strips from a previous voyage. Each strip in your possession counts as a illegal fish. Use Gulps. Nothing better for flounder.
    Interesting, people make swordfish baits out of dolphin belly strips. I don’t see how that is that different? Crabbers use redfish they catch the day before as bait. 
     Would you happen to have a link?
    You should have been here yesterday
    You already know. No need for a link. The problem I always saw in 20 years as a marine game warden is people always read the regs and then tried to interpret them to fit what they wanted to do. The regs should be read literally.
     If it says that a redfish can not be in your possession under 18 inches, That it. Its simple. You can not possess a whole or piece of redfish under 18 inches. If its in your crab trap then you are in possession of it. No if, and, or butts. Same with mahi or any other fish with a size limit. The fish or any piece of that species can not be under the size limit. Doesnt matter if you caught it yesterday or a year ago. You cant possess it.
     Then we have the filet law. Any fish with a size limit can not be possessed cut up until you are back on hard ground. If you take the pieces from yesterdays cutting table back out to sea the next day. Every piece is another violation.
      I once caught a guy with a livewell full of baby tog. He was gonna use them for striper bait. When I told him they were short he said "Ohh I am not eating them, Im using them for bait" It doesnt matter what your doing with them, where you caught them ,or when you caught them. . Its a possession law. You cant possess them.
     I myself was suprised to find out recently that although I could use a whole tomtate grunt for bait it is illegal to cut up a grunt for bait because of the filet rule. I have been working with our representatives at the SAFMCouncil  to have the law changed. If everyone would e mail Roy Crabtree at the below address and ask for the change in the law maybe we can get it done.
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 27 Greenhorn

Illegal to use grunts as cut bait??

News to me.

• bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 982 Officer
    Barrel that is the way it is and I like that you just put it out there!
    like it or not that’s the way the law works.
    tankered said:

Illegal to use grunts as cut bait??

News to me.

Yeah it was news to me to as I consider myself law abiding but I was cutting up grunts. Since there is no size limit I assumed you could cut it up. But the problem is tomtate grunts are considered  part of the snapper family and no snapper can be cut up. Even Roy Crabtree who is our Florida representative on the board didnt know and he says he is going to work on an exemption to be passed. The more people that contact him with a e-mail the better as he will then understand that more people then just me are concerned and want to use cut grunts for bait,
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 27 Greenhorn

I'm talking about your standard white grunts. People cut them up all the time around here. Tomtate grunts considered a snapper? That is stupid.

Oh, and Crabtree is a ****.

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,553 AG
    grunts do not fall under reef fish regs,
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    tomtates are NOT part of the snapper family in the GOM
    I see where barrell may be confused and their website is vague but again grunts are NOT part of the snapper/grouper/reef fish complex,..

This is confusing so..
    https://safmc.net/regulations/regulations-by-species/white-grunt/
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,460 Officer
    edited December 9 #16
    It is another case of they passed a bunch of blanket rules without even thinking of all possible effects on fisherman.
    In South Atlantic tomtate has no size limit or bag but  "All species must be landed with head and fins intact". So if caught on boat with cut up ones you are technically an "resource violator" ;)

A1 it says same for that grunt you posted.....they screwed it up on East coast.

Barrell I'm sure you think you are doing the right thing by working with Dr. Crabtree.........so don't take this personally.
    Lot's of us have seen his incompetence and BS and oh I'm going to work with all the user groups to better the whole fishery for decades.
    Seriously, he can declare an emergency action and close seasons early at the drop of a hat, but needs input from all of us to correct this stupid mistake?? :*
    I'm at the point where he is what some refer to as "dead to me".
    IMHO the sooner he is gone from NOAA the better for everyone. ;)

I say......I say son.......new & improved my tail feathers.

I see now that the SA is different