Home General Paddle Craft

Suzuki 2.5hp Outboard comparison for those thinking to add to their paddlecraft

kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 631 Officer
edited November 2019 in General Paddle Craft #1
Since there are quite a few people interested in adding an outboard to their paddlecraft, I made an informational video about the Suzuki 2.5 hp outboard which is one of the most utilized outboard for this type of mod.  Since I have an older model 2010 which is my workhorse motor(and have done extensive repairs to) and a newly purchased 2018 model, I figured it would be useful for those who might be looking at getting a used model, plus what differences you might find compared to if you bought new.  

Basic info:  
2.5 horsepower
4-stroke - just add gas.  No needing to mix oil and gas like 2-strokes
29 lbs
1 liter built-in fuel tank = 10 miles
pull start
no reverse
Cost new @$750
3 year warranty

Key differences between old and new:
much better fuel cap
new model adds a fuel pump/reservoir
old model uses prop with sheer pin
new model uses prop with built in hub

Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,376 Captain
    The Suzuki 2.5hp is the lightest in it's class, but water-cooled which brings up the possibility of a clogged intake.  Some of the yakkers the SE have switched to the slightly more expensive air-cooled reliable Honda 2.1HP.  Any thoughts regarding that?  

• Reel_HighReel_High DelandPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    edited November 2019 #3
    i run a honda 2hp on mine and i love it.  fuel lasts, air cooled and pretty quiet.  i run a 13.5 vibe yellowfin tandem and it gets it around very well. i can send pics when i get home from work after december 10th of the motor and mount if anyone wants. i am going to add an outrigger as id like a small platform for more room to store gear. gets my little guy and me everyplace we want to check out.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Great to hear of an air cooled model.
    Many years ago I ran a Sears Gamefisher air cooled outboard. It was very loud.
    Is there appreciable difference in noise level with the newer Suzuki air cooled?
    Water cooled outboards are of course at the mercy of tiny fragile water pump impellers. I rely on professional service techs to change the impeller on my Mercury 6 hp, which is relatively expensive and time consuming. 
    A small motor really expands range, and it is concerning to be way Out There and worrying about the impeller.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,376 Captain
    FloridaOD said:
    Great to hear of an air cooled model.
    Many years ago I ran a Sears Gamefisher air cooled outboard. It was very loud.
    Is there appreciable difference in noise level with the newer Suzuki air cooled?
    Water cooled outboards are of course at the mercy of tiny fragile water pump impellers. I rely on professional service techs to change the impeller on my Mercury 6 hp, which is relatively expensive and time consuming. 
    A small motor really expands range, and it is concerning to be way Out There and worrying about the impeller.
    The Suzuki's are all water cooled, Honda makes the air-cooled.  It is surprisingly quiet, but I believe it is slightly louder than the Suzuki water cooled equivalent.