Backyard Bucks - Shooting Deer Out The Window

MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 407 Deckhand
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Is that your video?
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 639 Officer
    And on the 7th day god said” leave a high powered rifle on the computer desk just in case a deer walks past the rose bushes while the family is watching jeopardy. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,448 Captain
    Ring undeveloped lands with countless houses and adjoining back yards.

I knew of Wisconsin hunters- lived in southerly agriculture areas, residence property full of deer, which were largely left alone, residents went to wilder country to hunt.

At some point, backyard hunt pressure might be cause for Doe Day restrictions?
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    FloridaOD said:
    At some point, backyard hunt pressure might be cause for Doe Day restrictions?
    Why would that be?
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 407 Deckhand
    Tony Roma said:
    And on the 7th day god said” leave a high powered rifle on the computer desk just in case a deer walks past the rose bushes while the family is watching jeopardy. 

Could be a muzzleloader.  We have liberty.

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MathGeek said:
    Tony Roma said:

Could be a muzzleloader.  We have liberty.

Yup, I watched the video, 40 caliber muzzle loader. I’m not trying to stomp on pastor deer slayers 2nd amendment rights. It’s his home and he can do whatever the hell he wants. As for myself I avoid leaving loaded unlocked weapons around mine. 
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 273 Deckhand
    Seems like introducing an unnecessary risk.
    For all those with negative vibes toward "not really hunting", may I point out that the more folks shooting deer out the window, the less crowded public land will be and the less money in the lease market driving up the prices.  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rudyengrudyeng Posts: 137 Deckhand
    Reminds me of a SC plantation hunt on a private farm years ago. The owner/outfitter  set me up on his grand kids elevated playhouse/swing set. I was super Pissed off.  It was on the edge of the property over looking a corn field that was harvested. looked like a total waste of my time.  Shot the biggest buck to date on that stand. Crazy

• Flhunter57Flhunter57 Posts: 46 Greenhorn
    I don't think it's so much of a " not really hunting" question, but more of an ethical question, and are you setting a good example for your kids?  Why not just slip outside and shoot him?
    I don't think it's so much of a " not really hunting" question, but more of an ethical question, and are you setting a good example for your kids?  Why not just slip outside and shoot him?
    It’s cold outside and their are bugs and stuff . 
    Shooting from the elevated position of the upstairs window is the more ethical approach in our case, since the ground provides a backstop a few feet behind the deer.  It also provides a clear shot without intervening obstructions.  I'd hate to clip a branch in flight and wound the deer or have the bullet ricochet off a branch who knows where.  I also don't see how taking a shot out the window is a bad example for my children.  It's legal.  It's safe.  It's not much different from shooting out the window of a heated box stand. 

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 914 Officer
    It's not legal everywhere.  In Pennsylvania it would be in a safety zone.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

Depends on where your house is at. The previous owner of my homestead would corn them about 50 yards out the bedroom window and hunt them until about 3am. Nearest neighbor as the crow flies is 3/4 of a mile thru the thick. Not really a safety issue. 

He told me the deer patterned him over the years and would hit the corn whenever he wasn’t hunting. 
    MathGeek said:
    Shooting from the elevated position of the upstairs window is the more ethical approach in our case, since the ground provides a backstop a few feet behind the deer.  It also provides a clear shot without intervening obstructions.  I'd hate to clip a branch in flight and wound the deer or have the bullet ricochet off a branch who knows where.  I also don't see how taking a shot out the window is a bad example for my children.  It's legal.  It's safe.  It's not much different from shooting out the window of a heated box stand. 

So is that your video?
  • James243James243 Posts: 768 Officer
    MathGeek said:

So is that your video?
    Anything illegal in the video the rest of us should know about?  Maybe leaving a firearm accessible to children?
    I wasn’t looking at the video like that. I’m just curious as to what other Youtube creators are active on the board. 
  • James243James243 Posts: 768 Officer
    Ok gotcha.  I wouldn't be leaving any weapon out ready to shoot unless I was the only one who was going to be around, coming from someone with three small kids. I would however harvest a deer from my house given the opportunity/need. I've wacked quite a few squirrels with my bow from my 2nd story bedroom window. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,391 Captain
    edited November 10 #20
    I see nothing wrong with it. Some 12 YOs could strip and clean an AR better than most adults
    James243 said:
    Ok gotcha.  I wouldn't be leaving any weapon out ready to shoot unless I was the only one who was going to be around, coming from someone with three small kids. I would however harvest a deer from my house given the opportunity/need. I've wacked quite a few squirrels with my bow from my 2nd story bedroom window. 
    The approach of household's I know with small children has been to lock the door of the room with the gun sitting by the window when unattended.  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 199 Deckhand
    Interesting that the negative vibes on here as to "not really hunting" and then questioning the ethics of this are the same people that jump me when I say shooting hogs in a pen isn't really hunting and is of questionable ethics. Double standard much? 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,391 Captain
    Geetch said:
    Interesting that the negative vibes on here as to "not really hunting" and then questioning the ethics of this are the same people that jump me when I say shooting hogs in a pen isn't really hunting and is of questionable ethics. Double standard much? 

Only negative vibes I see posted are towards leaving a loaded firearm around children. OP mentions "not really hunting vibes" but I think he was being proactive. Don't see a single post pertaining to such. Carry on.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 273 Deckhand
    Pinman said:
    Geetch said:

Only negative vibes I see posted are towards leaving a loaded firearm around children. OP mentions "not really hunting vibes" but I think he was being proactive. Don't see a single post pertaining to such. Carry on.
    Big chip on his shoulder, 45-70 size, and low reading comprehension. 
    Geetch said:

Agreed.  For me the foundation for hunting ethics is three fold:

1.  Safe.
    2.  Legal.
    3.  According to the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

These provide objective standards for ethics.  "I don't like it" is not an objective standard.  It may be a fine personal preference to guide decision making for oneself, but it is not an objective standard for claiming someone else's actions are unethical.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,448 Captain
    edited November 14 #26
    I once, long ago, hunted a nice remote area.
    The area was under development pressure, the area became a State Forest/ WMA.
    I continued to hunt the area but my best spots were close to the boundary of the new WMA. 
    I heard Ice Cream Truck music, kids playing on the border of the new WMA,new hunt pressure from WMA residential border, the newly developed lands on the WMA border used to be be part of the lands I used to hunt.
    I eventually skipped the area in favor of a huge National Forest.
    I still think of those new houses at the border of the State Forest, deer shot during Doe Week at the newly formed back yards.

......from a window! Interesting image. “ Unethical” and “ Wanton Waste” term application as outdated as Window Frame rest.
    No wonder “ Hunting” is in ‘ Decline’. Good riddance.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
    By what standard is shooting deer out of a window unethical?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 394 Deckhand
    it’s just a different type of hunting. I wish I had the option to shoot deer from my window drinking coffee doing paperwork. 
    Call up the local kid to come clean my deer for $20 bucks. 
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 914 Officer
    "it's just a different type of hunting."  What kind of hunting do you call that?

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• smhsmh Posts: 273 Deckhand
    Efficient. 
    Exactly!  I see nothing wrong with it.  I mainly hunt public land, and as such, my hunting involves going off into "wild" areas to scout and hunt game.  It's a labor-intensive process, but I enjoy getting away to spend time in the woods and the table fare that wild game provides.  I also live on five acres of semi-rural land and have deer come onto my property from time to time.  My land isn't really "hunt-able", but I consider those deer to be targets of opportunity, and I'll shoot one given the chance (safe shot angle and legality being paramount).  I had an opportunity at a nice buck last year in my front pasture but didn't take the shot as I would have been shooting in the direction of a house across the road.  While those backyard deer might not provide me with rejuvenating alone time in the woods, they would be welcome meat in the freezer.  I've also salvaged fresh road-killed deer if that gives you any more insight into my mindset.