Anyone Catching Anything????

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 943 Officer
Haven't been out since last Thursday and haven't seen a lot of posts so just wondering if anyone is catching anything.  I'm hoping to head out tomorrow and/or Friday morning from FPI.  I was hoping to do some trolling but haven't had much luck on the troll.  I was getting some stuff bottom fishing but was hoping maybe the troll was starting to pick up.  Not sure many people have been able to get out with the weather but I thought I'd ask.   

Replies

• xeniaxenia Posts: 547 Officer
    Charter boat reports out of the Miami area show a couple of sails and kings.  That's all I've heard.
  • GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 943 Officer
    Those would be the first kings I've heard of.....looks like the cold fronts are going to make it hard to get out the  next few days
    There are swordfish around.  That is, until the day I decide to go again and the bite shuts off completely!
    xenia said:
    There are swordfish around.  That is, until the day I decide to go again and the bite shuts off completely!
    Lol....that's the way it seems lately.   Its been slow.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 5,911 Admiral
    That's usually my luck too, "should of been here yesterday."  November & April is usually my best fishing time.
    I hope your right about November....I'm certainly ready to catch some mahi. 
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 114 Deckhand
    Im going hunting. This weather is infuriating.
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • CoastalCatchCoastalCatch Lighthouse PointPosts: 506 Officer
    Went Wednesday...nada! 

'The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.' ~ George Orwell

Wow, with weather like that you'd think you'd earned a 100+ lb wahoo, at least!
    Yeah that's quite the weather picture.  I'm just hoping that we will all be rewarded with a good November.....Oops looks like the cold fronts are going to push the seas up to 5 to 7.....well maybe the end of November.   I'm thinking of going to Basspro and fish in the big tanks they have there.......
    edited November 8 #12
    November 1983 was epic.  We were targeting Kings and when we couldn't find a mess of those Spanish Macks.  My smallest catch on a slow day was 300+ lbs, my best was over 900 lbs.  All hook-and-line with live bait.  Fished 14 days straight on one stretch.  One afternoon off Hollywood we were catching snake kings 5-8 lbs as fast as you could go in 110'.  My hands were so cut up I could hardly pull them in.  We started losing fish to something bigger that would take off super fast before cutting the kings in half.  We weren't sure what they were until we hooked one a landed it.  Wahoo!  We were losing kings to wahoo.  True story.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,088 Admiral
    xenia said:
    November 1983 was epic.  We were targeting Kings and when we couldn't find a mess of those Spanish Macks.  My smallest catch on a slow day was 300+ lbs, my best was over 900 lbs.  All hook-and-line with live bait.  Fished 14 days straight on one stretch.  One afternoon off Hollywood we were catching snake kings 5-8 lbs as fast as you could go in 110'.  My hands were so cut up I could hardly pull them in.  We started losing fish to something bigger that would take off super fast before cutting the kings in half.  We weren't sure what they were until we hooked one a landed it.  Wahoo!  We were losing kings to wahoo.  True story.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Lol....never heard of kings for bait but I'll trade up to wahoo for sure.   I'm still looking for my first wahoo.  Let's keep hoping.......
    edited November 8 #15
    This wahoo had a taste for kingfish.  36 years ago to the day. 11/8/83.

That is an awesome fish....i just want one of those.  At this point I'll take a little one.
    Full moon or new moon between now and Mar.  150'-250', clean water.  You can either high-speed troll, slow troll with planers or diving lures, or drift with live Speedos or Goggle Eyes.  I got my first wahoo slow trolling a live horse pilchard off Miami Beach in August last century.  You will get yours.
    Here's the high-speed setup.  My friend likes to fish 5 lines, all staggered in distance, but my preference is 3.  He's used to fishing the Bahamas where a 5-fish hookup is a real possibility.  The most we've hooked here at one time is 3.

What are  your rod and reel setups?   They look like straight butt rods, correct?  A friend has suggested Avet 50 EXWs.  
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,869 Captain
    I got a nice Cobia off the Jupiter ledge Friday! We also got a Skip Jack on a feather.
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com
    I got a nice Cobia off the Jupiter ledge Friday! We also got a Skip Jack on a feather.
    Curious what did the cobia hit?  We got one on frozen sardines last week.
    There are two Avet 50Ws in that photo.  I also use Penn International 50W and 30W.
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Posts: 1,869 Captain
    Garysmo said:
    Curious what did the cobia hit?  We got one on frozen sardines last week.
    Same here except my sardine was thawed, lol....
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com