Home Ask the Law!

Recreational Shooting

nate308nate308 JacksonvillePosts: 3 Greenhorn
I was wondering what is lawful recreational shooting. A minor can possess a firearm when doing so. I was wondering if just shooting in the woods far away from people or houses on public land and not being stupid is considered lawful recreational shooting.

Another question is I've been looking to shoot in jennings state forest and it says that the discharge of a firearm outside of periods open to hunting is prohibited. So does that mean that if it were bow season I could go out and shoot a .22. Thank you for your help.

Replies

• bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    edited October 2019 #2
    I wouldn't do it. I've seen clowns during bow season shooting 22s into the woods without any idea what was out there.....ME!

Pretty sure it's not legal.

or should I say WAS illegal?

• Flhunter57Flhunter57 Posts: 84 Deckhand
    edited November 2019 #3
    First of all if you want to hunt/shoot in Florida, and are younger than 16 years old, you have to be accompanied by someone at least 21 years old.  If you are at least 16 years old and want to shoot/hunt on you own, you need to have successfully completed a hunter safety course.  If you are younger than 21 and have not completed a hunter safety course, you must have someone at least 21 with you until you complete the course or until you turn 21.  This info can be found on the FWC website.  If you plan on "target" practicing on public land, you need to contact the FWC office and ask them for the rules for that specific WMA.  Please make sure you have a safe place to shoot with a backdrop like an old clay/dirt bank!  Shooting on private property without permission with a firearm I believe is a felony, so make sure you have written permission from the land owner!  Don't take my word or anyone else's word on the laws.  Do your homework and know the law where ever you shoot!