Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lizard Fish

I was in the Sarasota/ Siesta Key area in June.  I've been down there many times and I tend to fish from shore at the same places.  This year, Lizard fish were everywhere.  They would hit any type of lure I tossed.  I think I could have filled a bucket with them every morning.  Is there a reason that there are so many this year?  I have NEVER caught one other years.  Also, will anything eat them if you turn around and use them for bait?  Thanks!

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,636 AG
    grouper seem to enjoy them very much.   as cut bait i believe mangos will eat them.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 778 Officer
    Redfish love um. Trust me.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 778 Officer
    Under cajun thunder
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,466 AG
    I have never seen a fish like a bait like redfish on lizardfish.
    When I was a kid we'd get small ones in a seine net under the Rocky Bayou bridge, chop em up into little slices and the reds would inhale these things within seconds, if not minutes.  Meanwhile, the live pinnies would take a while. They must be really good.  Maybe I'll try one next time myself.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • tampaspicertampaspicer Posts: 425 Deckhand
    Cleaned many many trout of the years and have found plenty of lizard fish in them. 
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,172 Officer
    When I was a kid we'd get small ones in a seine net under the Rocky Bayou bridge, chop em up into little slices and the reds would inhale these things within seconds, if not minutes.  Meanwhile, the live pinnies would take a while. They must be really good.  Maybe I'll try one next time myself.
    They've got a lot of tiny bones in the meat, alas.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,377 Admiral
    Well maybe the bull reds will thin the herd this winter, because they are thicker than I have ever seen up here just outside of Rocky Bayou and all surrounding areas.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    snook love them
    we need more internet money
    Spineyman said:
    Well maybe the bull reds will thin the herd this winter, because they are thicker than I have ever seen up here just outside of Rocky Bayou and all surrounding areas.
    Try chunking one and throwing it out near bridge rubble or whatever.
    I remember being kinda shocked at quickly it got hit.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 478 Deckhand
    This sounds like a trick to get forum lurkers to go on a lizardfish killing spree. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,636 AG
    SuperMutu said:
    This sounds like a trick to get forum lurkers to go on a lizardfish killing spree. 
    i only kill what i use for bait.   I've thrown back dozens of these little buggers.    I had one a few weeks ago come up at my line as i was pulling in a pinfish that had eaten half my shrimp, joker grabbed the rest of the shrimp right off the hook and swam away.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 132 Deckhand
    My “go to” fish. 🤣 Shrimping, trolling for grouper or mackerel, whatever...I can’t get away from them. Vicious little buggers, too.  Caught one trolling a couple of years ago and, while reeling him in, he swam over to another line I was pulling and bit it. One lizard, two lures in his mouth, and a good tangle. At least the lizards have kept me from being skunked on occasion.

• SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,377 Admiral
    As a matter of fact I stuck a # 4 treble hook in my hand last week due to a lizardfish. He hit the Rapala I was throwing and managed to get all three parts of the treble in his mouth effectively clamping his mouth shot on the hook. Top hook flopping. I grabbed the lizardfish and proceeded to unhook, quite a chore, and he flopped out of my hand. Remember the hook I said was flopping, well it embedded in my hand between the pointer finger and thumb. All while fish was flopping. Grabbed the bend and snatched out hook pronto. Smarted pretty good. I can't stand them crazy things.

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

If they weren't so cute they wouldn't have a prayer.
  • Luremaker62Luremaker62 Milwaukee, WIPosts: 5 Greenhorn
    Thanks everyone for the responses.  I'll definitely try them as live or cut bait next time.  There was no shortage of them in the Siesta Key area this summer.  They hit spoons, paddle tails, jigging spoons, mirrodines, Yozuri minnows, hair jig...you name it, they attacked it.