Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

11/26 Inshore ADVENTURE fishing!

It's been since cobia season that Slug-O and I have done any fishing. Poor guy has been working himself to death (a blessing and a curse) for the last several months and hasnt had any time to get away. Well, saturday was Leon's chance to get back on the water, and he joined my boy Luise and I for an inshore adventure! We planned on doing a bit of experimentation... no pressure, nothing serious, just a chillaxin' day on the water. We met at the shop at 7am and headed to B&M to load up on bait. We had planned on tossing some mullet for the last of the flattie bite, and get on some sheepshead after that, but no mullet so we got some fat muds instead, and of course, a pint of fiddlers. We headed out to the first spot, and Leon started flounder poundin' right off the bat with a red jig and chartruese curly tail. Nice one Leon!
(pic)
Then Leon got the next one too! Im like **** man, what is goin on here, when he explained he had plenty of pent up mojo, and we had already used ours up on recent fishing trips. This next fish was a nice fish, but had a giant sore on its bottom so we released it. Meanwhile, Luise is catching flounder after flounder, but for some reason he kept catching small ones. I think we ended up catching 7 small flatties before I finally got on the board with a nice one, Leon definately had the "Mojo" goin' though.
We moved on to the sheeps, and caught several, but they were all smallish fish. As always, there were a couple "big ones" that got away. We kept trying, but it would prove to not be our day for sheepshead fishing. We all had our own style, with Luise fishing a knocker rig, Leon using the standard sliding sinker, and me using my Slayer jigs. The sheepshead had the last laugh though, and we were pretty much shamed into moving on.
After some debating that afternoon, we decided that we wanted to go low tide red fishing. We went into Chikopit, into a creek that was so shallow my boat got stuck. We pushed the boat along for a bit, when we decided to go stalking on foot. This is when things got really interesting! Armed with top waters, we were able to walk along the hard sand, deep into the heart of Chikopit to fish the small holes that were the only thing left with water in them. You could see reds pushing wakes along the bank, but we spooked the first few fish. Then Slug-O had one blow up his lure, only to come off, but he wasnt giving up and after a couple more casts, BOOM! Water spalshed everywhere as an upper slot fish went beserk in the shallow water. After quite a fight, Slug-O had his prize, a 26 1/2" stud! We threw for about another half hour, and had a couple more blow ups, but that pretty much finished off our great day on the water.
Back at the boat ramp, I found out that my other truck, a small 4-cylinder, did not have the power to pull my boat up the steep ramp at dead low tide! But with some expert driving by Leon, smoke bellowing everywhere as the tires lit up, and a full throttle goose from me in the boat, the truck got a boost and we were able to get up.
All in all, another great day on the water with friends, with a bit of an adventure thrown in to spice the day up.
We got some good pics, especailly in the back water, so just as soon as Slug-O sends 'em to me I'll post them up!
Tony Eden-
Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
Boattronics.net
Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
904-545-1270

Replies

• rpres1977rpres1977 Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Nice post as always tony, way to get em. We went sat looking for sheeps and just couldn't seem to find em.
    Capt. R. Preston
    Running 'N' Reelin Fishing Team
  • BoattronicsBoattronics Posts: 5,222 Admiral
    rpres1977 wrote: »
    Nice post as always tony, way to get em. We went sat looking for sheeps and just couldn't seem to find em.

Thanks! I have a feeling this is going to be a great year... many folks are already tearin' 'em up and good sized ones too... just a bad day for sheepin', But that's fishing!

I got some pics now.... we didnt get much during the flounder and sheep action, but took a bunch of pics when we went on foot to stalk the shallow reds-
    First thing in the morning, who needs coffee? Ill just put the throttle down!
    4a75eb79.jpg
    The afternoon sight fishing adventure on foot begins...
    529163be.jpg
    Luise had a couple big blow ups, but they missed.
    8e5b7ce3.jpg
    Then, after a couple blow ups, Leon lands his trophy!
    52ce6c1f.jpg
    684d4ead.jpg
    Dinner time!
    006fdb0a.jpg

As always, we had a great time aboard the Mistress. It was great to fish with Leon again, and I really enjoyed watching him catch the big red in the shallows that afternoon to finish our day off. Nothing gets my blood pumping like sight fishing does. The hunt... then finally seeing the fish.... then WHAM! When the fish blows up on your perfectly presented bait, theres just nothing like it. I hope you guys enjoyed, untill next time, tight lines my friends!
    Tony Eden-
    Certified, licsensed and insured, Marine Electronics and rigging master, and "Dream boat" build winner with 20 years of professional experience.
    Boattronics.net
    Over 80 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?5295-Recent-Boattronics-reviews!
    Please call with any questions or a free estimate for the lowest price/best work available!
    904-545-1270
  • hewes18hewes18 Posts: 757 Officer
    That is awesome!! Killer flatties there, I would love to fish up your way. The pics are pretty cool too
    tumblr_lkaudd2RQQ1qg6fb5.gif
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,464 Officer
    Very nice guys. Glad to hear you were able to take out Leon. He needed that.
    Brian
  • Brother DaveBrother Dave Posts: 595 Officer
    Leon still with the PFD on!!! You're on land!! LOL...congrats guys...
  • Slug-OSlug-O Posts: 3,017 Captain
    you never know when the next mud hole could be 20' deep!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol.....I forgot I had it on because I wear one everytime I go out and its so small and light... Getting out the other day was a great stress breaker and a whole ton of fun. The fishing was hot and the dinner later that night was super!!! Thanks Tony for making room for me and look forward to going out again really soon.

Slug-O
    USCG Licensed and Insured Charter Capt. PRIME TIME CHARTERS 904-591-8906 ICW and Back Waters fishing. Palmvalleycharters.com
  • DevilDog91DevilDog91 Posts: 94 Deckhand
    not bad at all!! nice catch guys!:beer
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,536 Admiral
    Leon still with the PFD on!!! You're on land!! LOL...congrats guys...

That's what I was thinkin too....:grin
  • southboundchickensouthboundchicken Posts: 711 Officer
    nice work fellas :beer