Red Tide

Saw the most recent sampling status notes so I took a trip to the mouth of the Caloosahatchee and San Carlos Bay yesterday evening...saw a good amount of dead Mullet and some Cats. Hopefully this clears up quickly.

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,241 Captain
    I would hate to see another red tide, damage from last year is still in effect.  I have never seen so few trout as I did a few weeks ago.  For the first time in 8 years I caught more reds than trout.  
  • rjmckenna2005rjmckenna2005 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 32 Greenhorn
    Was out on captiva yesterday and the itchy throat was definitely felt. Wasnt really bad but the presence of red tide could be felt. Didnt see any other effects. No fish/smell etc. hopefully its not around long
  • SerotoninSerotonin Cape CoralPosts: 208 Deckhand
    Saw a video  in lower pine island sound of some dead fish floating today and heard captiva pass had floaters and red tide
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,254 Captain
    Pockets of Red Tide were found near Manasota Key, as reported in The Englewood Sun
  • HogTideHogTide Posts: 180 Deckhand
    Fingers crossed it won't hang around too long!!!
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    When I'm not Fishing...I'm Catching:USA
  • dodger31dodger31 Ft MyersPosts: 226 Deckhand
    edited October 28 #7
    Barefoot/Bonita area friends and family reported itchy throat trouble breathing over the weekend.  Not good! :-(
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,129 Captain
    Had bait die at devil fish the last two days so it is around.
  • Salt LifeSalt Life Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Just got back from Sanibel, was there Thursday thru Tuesday. Thursday was throat irritation and dead fish, but as the weekend went on, the better it got until by Monday the water was clear, no dead fish (except a couple washed in at the end of the day) and no irritation. By Monday there was loads of bait fish and loads of lady fish and jacks to keep you busy if you wanted to wet a line. Had to contend with the red drift algae Sunday but it was mostly absorbed by the beach on Monday. Managed some snook at Blind Pass Sunday evening and a nice one from the beach Monday.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 600 Officer
    Blind pass and the sound from the powerlines north a few miles yesterday was absolutely loaded with dead fish. Couldn't keep bait alive in the well and choked up every time I reached in to grab a bait. Still some fish around but it's looking nasty. So, so sad to see dead trout everywhere after they finally have started to recover.
    That's really sad news!  Does anyone want to chime in about why this is so bad again?  Has it repeated this bad in the past?  I've been here 6 years now and last year was the first I really heard about red tide.  Now it's back again.  Is that normal?  
    Red tide has been around for decades, but it seems occur more frequently in the last 15 years.
    This may be the new normal.
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 54 Greenhorn
    dodger31 said:
    That's really sad news!  Does anyone want to chime in about why this is so bad again?  Has it repeated this bad in the past?  I've been here 6 years now and last year was the first I really heard about red tide.  Now it's back again.  Is that normal?  

I’ve been down here my whole life and it keeps getting worse. Never used to stick around as long, never saw a fish kill anywhere near as bad as last year. It isn’t normal at all. Sure it’s been around, but not in such high concentrations and not for as long. While the disgusting, less than worthless media is more worried about pushing climate change hoaxes as a means for big-bro.gov to raise our taxes, they sure are pretty silent about the red tide until it gets so bad it can’t be swept under the rug any longer. 
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,156 Captain
    The fwc report looks terrible.  Praying for some cold air to get that the heck out of there.

St pete so far has not been touched. 
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    This is not good!

Our poor Gulf of Mexico is being overwhelmed. 
    Too much nutrient rich water and too many people.
  • SkyraiderSkyraider Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    We ran from the back of Ding up past Useppa yesterday morning. Pulled Pins from the trap north of Useppa and they quickly died in the livewell. There was a lake of bait on the backside of Cayo, they stayed healthy. Caught many reds and snook, some nice slots, and big jacks. 
    All on the back sides of the passes and Cayo. WORST locations were the backside of Buck Key and heading to the Power Lines. Bad at Useppa, ie: floaters and dying bait. In between though was awesome. Still very sad what we saw. The big fish were very hungry. 
  • SkyraiderSkyraider Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    My BIL yesterday, down from NJ. He caught several like this. 
    Skyraider
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,490 Officer
    man so sad. I moved to Florida in 1999 (SE), and moved to SW coast 8 years ago..... Since, I've moved to Long Island NY to raise my 3 year old son to be around family. The wife and I went back and forth before making the decision to move to the cold Northeast..... For me one of the biggest reasons I left... Was the RT issue. We purchased our first home in the Sarasota area. 7 years ago I could leave my home, and be wet wading and casting within 20/25 minutes at most. Had 5/6 entry spots for wading within 45 min of house. All of them were super. Walking out of the water, I would not even report trips to friends if I say had; 2 snook and 5 trout. To me that was a super slow trip. Before I left, that would be considered a banner day. Sad. Thing for me is... Ok, so it's around now (presently), so lets say we dodge a bullet and cold weather sets in etc etc. Well, what about next year, and the year after, so forth and so on. Now Im up here, was on boat few times. Saturday was brutal lol..... 40mph in boat in temps in lower 40's. Killed the striped bass tho lol