Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Smoked Almaco

Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,911 Moderator
Came home from a snapper trip with a half dozen Almaco Jacks.  So, I decided to smoke them.  Brined overnight in a dry brine 60/40 - brown sugar/Kosher salt.  Let the dry brine pull the water out and make it's own liquid.  Lightly washed the fillets and sprinkled lightly with Tony Cachere's Creole Seasoning.  Started the charcoal and let the fillets air dry for about an hour while the charcoal was burning down.  Put the fillets in the smoker and hit it a couple times with soaked mesquite about 1/2 hour apart.  Fish was done in 1 1/2 hours
A lot better than the usual smoked fare of Kingfish or AJ.

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,434 Admiral
    Sounds delish. I like Almacos even grilled.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• smooth movesmooth move Posts: 465 Deckhand
    sounds good!
    le se' bon ton roulet
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 777 Officer
    If I catch a bunch of them, I'll smoke almacos, but usually I reserve them for a spot on the dinner plate.  I'll saute, braise, bake, broil or grill them; it all comes out really nice.  About the only thing that doesn't let almaco shine is deep frying, that just doesn't do the fish any favors; square peg in a round hole situation.

This summer I made the mistake of telling my fishing buddies that almacos were really good eating.  Now they all want to take a couple of almacos home instead of letting me take all of the "trash" home.