Our beloved woodsrunner

I spoke to Mr Rich a few minutes ago and it’s with tears in my eyes that I type this.  He’s not doing well at all, his pancreatic cancer is overcoming him. He can’t get on here but asked that I reach out also let everyone know, that he’d like to be at a big ol party, but he can’t even get up. We spoke about him going to an “alternative “ doc about some “newly legal” medicine to help him along, which he was receptive to. He said he was to sick to go now.... please say a prayer, cross your fingers or whatever you do when you are powerless to help folks you care about
You should have been here yesterday

Replies

• Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,835 Captain
    Sad to hear. Always like his insight on here. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,088 Admiral
    I will pray for him. I have personal messaged with him more than with anyone else on this forum and have always had so much respect for his knowledge of the woods, timber, farming and southern life in general. Although I am from Key West and have 75% Bahamian roots, my other 1/4 percent was from my redneck grandfather who was born in Altha and lived in Quincy and bred award winning foxhounds. Rich new of him and gave me some good history of southern Hound breeds.
    I regret that I never got to try some of his grits but it is not to late as I know he will fight this. 
    Get well Rich.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,433 Officer
    Thank you Salty,
    Prayers for woods and family and all those close. He has touched many many people here.
    Could you perhaps let him know” We Listened Woods, We Listened “!!!!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Very saddened to hear this. Prayers for his family. 
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,334 Captain
    Very sad report.... He’s definitely kept us in the loop in this relatively short illness. Gonna keep praying for him and his family. Thanks for sharing...
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 923 Officer
    Prayers sent. He has been on my mind lately. I noticed he hasn’t posted in a while.    
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,453 Admiral
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 4,491 Moderator
    News I was dreading to hear. We're praying for you Rich.

." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

"There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

mindyabizness

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 13,457 AG
    Continued prayers for Mr. Rich Pouncey. I'm saddened to hear this..
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,448 AG
    Prayers sent for him and his family.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,901 Captain
    He can’t get on here (not sure if it was technical problems or just to weak). The phone was breaking up badly. I called back to get his email address to post here, but got no answer. I’m going to try to get out there today( if he’s able) to take him some things. I’ll keep y’all posted. 
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,805 Captain
    Thank you for the update.  Thoughts and prayers continue for Mr. Rich and his family  o:)
    I’ll also read this thread to him to make sure he knows how highly people think of him here
    This may work.

"There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

mindyabizness

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 4,963 Captain
    Prayers
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,700 Captain
    Thanks for that update Saltygatorvet. I think of Mr. Woodsrunner daily.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,119 AG
    Prayers for him and his family.   
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,108 Admiral
    Hate to hear this. He is a valuable asset to the forum, the state and all of us who enjoy the outdoors. Hope for the best for him.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 117 Deckhand
    I remember our conversation about the origin of the vidalia onion a while back. My history on the onion was not quite accurate and he quickly educated me on it. Would like to continue that conversation. Prayer sent....
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,987 Captain
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,970 Captain
    An honor to know him, he will not be forgotten.
    His grandson has been trained in the art of grits in case anyone wants to know.
    F the feds
  • fsuwxmanfsuwxman Posts: 1,283 Officer
    Hate to hear this news but appreciate you keeping us in the loop. 

I only had the opportunity to meet Mr. Rich once. I regret not getting to know him better in person. His wisdom and insight, which he shared so willingly with us here on the forum, is a treasure to all. 

Please send my best when you chat with him. 
    2015 FS Northwest Forum NASCAR Champion
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,391 Captain
    So sorry to hear this.

Our best wishes to his family.
    Thanks

mindyabizness

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited October 11 #27
    I had a nice visit with Mr Rich. He’s got someone coming to help him w the computer later. I read him all of your kind words and it really perked him up.  Hope he gets on this thread a little later
  • Spanky DunlapSpanky Dunlap Posts: 691 Officer
    We will add Woods to our prayers. To date, I have not had the privilege of meeting him, but one look at his post here and you know he is a man you would like to call a friend. 

• CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,428 Officer
    Mr Rich has been in our prayers since he first reported his illness, its sad to read that he is having such discomfort and problems.
    Hopefully his computer gets fixed and he can at least communicate with us again, he is sorely missed.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 1,772 Captain
    edited October 12 #30
    Man I hate to hear this. Prayers sent. If someone wants to meet me in the Gville area, we can get him that medicine you mentioned. Guy that works for me has his card. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,662 Captain
    That 'medicine' is an absolute miracle for nausea and appetite, which frequently come with chemo.  Don't hesitate or think twice. You might also find it enjoyable, or even enlightening, while watching nature on the porch too ;)
    Hope you're doing as well as is possible.  Thought about you out in the woods yesterday. Prayers with you and your family.