Home General Hunting

Good to know about the powerbelts...

2»

Replies

• creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,017 Officer
    I shoot the Nikon pro staff 2-7x32 on my wolf. Half the hogs I've shot with it have been while I was on the ground at less than 10yrds. Even from the tree I rarely have visibility beyond about 50 yrds. I just don't need magnification most of the time.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    edited October 2019 #33
    I will never give another dollar to a big box store for my hunting supplies.  Whoever owns powerbelt clearly has a stranglehold on the market.  They've got an inventory and they're shoving it down our throats.  It ruined a day I had planned to dial in my muzzy scope and check a few others.  Ruined it.  Runnin around town looking for a decent round.....
    Bass Pro, as expected, had empty shelves (very limited selection, I assume the empty slots were the good bullets...). 
    The only t&c bullets in .50, also had ballistics tips.  And other than that, they had a brand called 'traditions', which said 'by hornady'.  I did pick up a box of the 'smackdown' because I wasn't sure if I would find anything else.
    Since I was in an area of town with bigger shops, I went to D's again.  Same, only powerbelts.  Went to 2 different walmarts.  No muzzle bullets or loads at all. 
    Ended up going to Bill Jacksons and getting these

It was my only option other than.. they also had pb and the t&c w rubber ballistic tips..  We'll see how they do at the range.  Sucks I've gotta do it 2 days before my hunt and take an additional half day of work off to do it.  If I had known it'd be a week before I was going to shoot, I would have just ordered my supplies online.  Was certain I could get something on the way to my range last weekend.  Tampa sucks.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    If those xtps will shoot straight in your gun you will be ok. A friend killed a buck in Alabama at 240 yds with them
  • James243James243 Posts: 791 Officer
    Don't forget that you should be able to swap another 0.429 pistol bullet like a 300 grain xtp from the reloading isle at bass pro into those sabots. And you might be able to buy the same sabots in bulk there. Remember that you are pushing a pistol bullet pretty hard. When you get around to ordering stuff online do yourself a favor and give the hornady Great Plains a try. I can't claim to have tried lots of different bullets, but I doubt you'll find anyone saying they were let down. If you do go that route, call hornady and see if you can get the seating tip that fits the nose of that bullet for your ramrod. It definitely helps to prevent deforming the tip when loading. 
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    Dang, i saw those but I had thompson superglide written down on my list... dang. And the ballistic tip threw me off too. Ive totally associated powerbelt w bt's lol Maybe Ill stop again and grab those on the way to the range tomorrow. Thanks for the save!
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Those sabots you have will work fine.  2 pellets, shoot 2 or 3 and move the group.  Clean the barrel between shots if possible, if not, after every 3 shots.  Windshield washer/alcohol mix...

Think about the range you will be shooting and go from there.  A 50# pig or doe deer has conservatively say a 6-inch kill zone with some room for error.

I don't know what you are up to exactly by 75 to 100 are about max in most FL woods.  You can shoot further down a road or across a flag pond...

Start your zeroing at 50 feet, get it close to center, then move to 50 yards, then to 75 or 100 yards.  Stop at what you think max range will be.

Don't worry about getting a 1-inch group, basically if you put 3 shots inside a 4 to 6 inch circle, you are good to go.

Stinks being down to the wire and messing with scopes and stuff.  Feeling your pain.  Adds to the excitement - we're cheering you on.
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,354 Captain
    NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES WITH POWER BELT /ALSO IS THEY WONT SIGHT IN YOUR GUN TRY RAISING THE CHARGE OR LOWERING IT . I SHOOT 245GR AND NEVER HAD A ISSUES WITH SIGHTING THEM IN OR LOSING A ANIMAL . HIT THE VITALS AND YOU WILL HAVE A DEAD ANIMAL.
    living life as i like
    first sight it in at 30 yards and then 100 should be about dead on after 
    living life as i like
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,612 AG
    I'll prolly kill some type of animal with a powerbelt in the next week....

sorry they ruined your hunt grasshopper.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,612 AG
    Dial in your scope with the T/c, wally world, barnes specials then shoot one inch off the deers eyeballs...

The shockwave from those hi teck rounds will suck the eyeballs AND the brains out of that deers skull resulting in an ethical kill.

win/win,,, Good Luck!
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,187 Officer
    If you haven't had a powerbelt moment, then you haven't shot enough animals with them.   They worked great for me till they didn't!!!

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,464 Captain
    osprey11 said:
    If you haven't had a powerbelt moment, then you haven't shot enough animals with them.   
    Oh SNAP!
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,555 Captain
    This is about to get real good!....
    Only people who have issues with them made bad shots lol
    living life as i like
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,555 Captain
    Only people who have issues with them made bad shots lol