Snook at the Lagoon

Is it just me, or the Snook population has just simply exploded this year.  Seems like Redfish are more difficult to come across...while Snook are all over.  I have found water levels at the Mosquito Lagoon to be substantially higher this time around.  In the past three months alone I have caught more snook than I have seen in ten years combined.  Not that there is anything wrong with that....but clearly, something has changed.

Replies

• FlecFlec Posts: 583 Officer
    It is most likely because of the mild winters we have had in recent years. It allows the snook to migrate a little further northward than usual. Of course if we get a decent freeze this winter which would be normal, then snook would be the first species to suffer from cold water. Redfish and trout will be just fine in the cold weather.
  • Hobie AnglerHobie Angler Posts: 358 Deckhand
    Flec said:
    It is most likely because of the mild winters we have had in recent years. It allows the snook to migrate a little further northward than usual. Of course if we get a decent freeze this winter which would be normal, then snook would be the first species to suffer from cold water. Redfish and trout will be just fine in the cold weather.
    You are probably right... I remember well the year we had a hard freeze.  We had dead snook all along the shorelines inside the river and Lagoon.  Not a pretty site.  Hope that doesn't happen 😬 this year.