Home General Freshwater Fishing

Snook in golf course ponds

Moved to Naples last easter, and have been fortunate enough to fish some of the golf course ponds where I work part time.  Tons of bass, and I think a fair amount of snook.  Have landed about a dozen, most around 10-15 lbs.  Caught them originally on big spooks, also on  white  paddletails and a big rebel floater diver.  It has slowed down recently, and about 1/2 my trips now I'm not getting any hits.  Wondering if anybody else has had any similar experience; maybe the snook are getting used to seeing me and my arsenal.  Love the strikes and fight, definitely has become my favorite target fishing now.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,268 Moderator
    They wise up. When it cools some should get better.

Them snook are fun.

"You'll get your weather"
  • gladesfoolgladesfool Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    They won’t turn down a live bream!
  • czarmanczarman Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    How about a cichlid?  Just free line it?
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 415 Deckhand
    Try a root beer terror eyes reeled slow and steady.  I've found a large bait doesn't work so well in golf course ponds
    Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try it this weekend.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,975 Admiral
    I have a very small pond near me. First few casts is instant hook up then it completely quits till the next time i go. I guess they go back and tell thier buddies. 
  • thebigone556thebigone556 the seaPosts: 67 Greenhorn
    czarman said:
    Moved to Naples last easter, and have been fortunate enough to fish some of the golf course ponds where I work part time.  Tons of bass, and I think a fair amount of snook.  Have landed about a dozen, most around 10-15 lbs.  Caught them originally on big spooks, also on  white  paddletails and a big rebel floater diver.  It has slowed down recently, and about 1/2 my trips now I'm not getting any hits.  Wondering if anybody else has had any similar experience; maybe the snook are getting used to seeing me and my arsenal.  Love the strikes and fight, definitely has become my favorite target fishing now.
    I love snook, they fight like bass on steroids.
    Thought I'd post an update .  Big Bombers and 3/4 ounce rattletraps seem to be the ticket, mainly in the gold colors.  Have caught fish on other lures, but not like on the other two.  Day or two before a cold front comes in has worked well for me.  Still trying to get one of those tarpon.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 685 Officer
    I use a gold bomber long A in the creeks around my house. Gold seems the go to color in tannin stained water

• MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 206 Deckhand
    czarman said:
    Thought I'd post an update .  Big Bombers and 3/4 ounce rattletraps seem to be the ticket, mainly in the gold colors.  Have caught fish on other lures, but not like on the other two.  Day or two before a cold front comes in has worked well for me.  Still trying to get one of those tarpon.
    Unless it is peak feeding time, or very small and careless fish, fishing for tarpon with lures is not time well spent, I don’t care what anyone claims. Especially if you’re bank fishing and can’t cruise right on over in a boat in the path of actively feeding fish. Plus it is far easier for them to throw a hook if they actually do hit a lure, as compared to a circle hook.

They are a lazy fish that doesn’t like to put forth much effort hunting their food. I’ve spent many hours watching scuba diver footage of them. They move at a snail’s pace practically. They will actually turn away from a potential meal while trying to sneak up on it once they feel as if the fish is about to dart away, before it even happens. They like to get as close as possible then inhale it like a vacuum without having to move much.

Get some bread balls, a small hook, and a Spider-Man or Ninja Turtle push button setup or whatever else ya got and fish for whatever small fish you can get at your spot. Once you got some bait cut a midsection chunk and toss it out on gear appropriate for whatever size you’re targeting. No weight needed since you won’t have current to deal with. A live freelined bait works, a dead whole bait works, but so far this winter I’ve tried all that and all three tarpon I’ve got this year so far are on cut pieces of bait fished on the bottom.  

Thanks for the info.  I'll give that a try.  Have not seen them rolling like I did in the summer, but I'm sure they are still there.  Might have to buy a Ninja setup though, not part of my 20 rod collection.