Best Spinning Rods under $70?

FlecFlec Posts: 583 Officer
What say you guys?  I like Calico Jacks, but they are not in the local stores anymore. I saw some "Marauder" brand the other day in **** for $49 that looked decent. I think CJ's can still be found online, but at a higher cost than I used to find them at ****'s.

Replies

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Yes I like and have Calico Jacks.  I have several All Star Classic rods I bought @ Academy Sports several years ago that I really like.  I just looked them up and they're $50 now.
  • chaser48chaser48 San Mateo Fla.Posts: 154 Deckhand
    edited October 7 #3
    All around fishing Ugly Sticks Hands down  I have the ugly stik elite pro 6ft 6 I use for reds in the St.Johns
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,767 Captain
    Yes I like and have Calico Jacks.  I have several All Star Classic rods I bought @ Academy Sports several years ago that I really like.  I just looked them up and they're $50 now.
    I don’t think you’ll find a better rod for $50
    You should have been here yesterday
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,088 AG
    They are up to $58-$63 ..... Calico Jack is still the best at that price point. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • MH79MH79 Posts: 503 Officer
    Flec said:
    What say you guys?  I like Calico Jacks, but they are not in the local stores anymore. I saw some "Marauder" brand the other day in **** for $49 that looked decent. I think CJ's can still be found online, but at a higher cost than I used to find them at ****'s.
    There is no better spinning rod on the market for that price point than a calico jack. See if you can order one online at ****’s or Walmart’s website. They usually to free shipping to the store where you can pickup your rod.
  • thebigone556thebigone556 the seaPosts: 58 Greenhorn
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,330 Officer
    Ugly Stick InterCoastal is a good one for an all around rod. I have several of them in 7'0, 7'6", and 6'6". I build my own rods if I want a more expensive outfit but when we go to the Keys I take 7 or 8 Ugly Sticks for the Kids to step on, drop in the boat, high stick, catch mangrove trees, poke stingrays, have swordfights etc. Pretty much an indestructible rod but great for snapper, snook, flounder, or any small to midsize fish.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 872 Officer
    Ohero gold at St Pete Outfitters. Around $65.00 and they are excellent.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,626 Moderator
    OHero Golds have been discontinued and remaining stock is what is available. Get them at St Pete Fishing Outfitters, Tarpon Fishing Outfitters and Tampa Fishing Outfitters. Good rods at a good price point.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,142 Officer
    Marathon Guardian for 50 bucks is pretty good as well. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,570 Captain
    After spending better money for good rods its hard to fish with those broomsticks(Calico Jack, Redbone, Ugly Stik) ya'll call rods. 
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • tesilentialtesilential Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Go on SJC..... 

I've never gone really high end but have a couple rods in the $200 range (st. croix and shimano) and I like the redbone better than them.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,626 Moderator
    AS I mentioned above the OHero GOld series have been discontinued, but the have been replaced  by the Ohero 
    SJC said:
    After spending better money for good rods its hard to fish with those broomsticks(Calico Jack, Redbone, Ugly Stik) ya'll call rods. 
    LOL....  Well,  maybe we are just not the skilled angler with your keenly honed abilities.... 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Jas2Jas2 Posts: 184 Deckhand
    Picked up nine Redbones for pennies on the dollar in various lengths and powers when Sports Authority quit selling fishing gear .  That was a while ago .....rods are still looking good and still bringing in fish !!

But ...I may have keenly honed skills like SJC  !!   LOL !
    Lately....I feel like Jimmy Johnson.   Sure, there was a time when I was good...real good...but now I couldn't get a handy in a who-oar house with a fist full of 50" s  LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,035 AG
    duckmanJR said:
    SJC said:
    LOL....  Well,  maybe we are just not the skilled angler with your keenly honed abilities.... 
    The fish I've caught never seemed to know the difference
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
    Go on SJC..... 

I've never gone really high end but have a couple rods in the $200 range (st. croix and shimano) and I like the redbone better than them.
    You got to spend your money better. T.Allen rods are right at $200 a piece and are night and day as far as feel and ability to cast. Same with the new E6X by G Loomis. A $200 rod that is fantastic. Shimano and St. Croix can suck eggs. If you use either of those rods and still prefer a Redbone you have issues lol
    duckmanJR said:
    SJC said:
    Nah, I just take care of my stuff and don't have to worry about breaking anything. So therefor I spend my money so I can enjoy the casting, lightness, and balance of a higher priced rod.
    If only the original poster asked about $200 rods...... LOL   
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR said:
    If only the original poster asked about $200 rods...... LOL   
    Up sell, always up sell. People don't know what they want. You tell them what they want
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,302 Officer
    Ugly Stik

I've done the gauntlet for expensive rods and after I have to replace an expensive rod, keep coming back to these. 

They aren't the lightest or the best balanced and could use and extra eye or two but they last and you get your $ worth with them.

Plus if you use Ugly Stik and turn the rod upside down & reel backwards, that guy who moved in on you will go elsewhere and let you fish in peace.