Home General Paddle Craft

Looking for a Yak.

Fishing the flats of St Joe Bay. Would like a smaller yak to throw in the bed of the truck to go a couple blocks to the water by myself for some peace and quiet. Seems everytime I take the boat out there's 5 people that want to go. Big production. **** that. Would like an elevated seat due to back issues. We have a 13'+/- double molded seat yak but that is a pain in my back after 10 min. Nothing fancy, elevated seat, couple rod holders and a spot for a cooler.

What should I look at?

Replies

• FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    It depends on how much you want to spend and how much weight you want to handle. I love kayaks and can help you find a couple models. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • jawrayjawray Posts: 363 Deckhand
     perception pescador pro 120 Weighs 64 lbs.  cost around $600-$800.  Comfortable seat.
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,972 AG
    Thanks jawray. I'll check that out.

I'm 6'1" just under 200lbs. It won't need to handle much more weight than that. Would like to have a spot for a small cooler for fish and drinks.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,346 Admiral

Old Town Predator MX Kayak

Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Spineyman said:

Old Town Predator MX Kayak

Resinhead said:
    Thx Spiney
    You could also check out the

Old Town Topwater 106 PDL Kayak, or you can get it without the PDL drive as well.

if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 758 Officer
    edited October 2019 #8
    Resinhead said:
    Thanks jawray. I'll check that out.

I'm 6'1" just under 200lbs. It won't need to handle much more weight than that. Would like to have a spot for a small cooler for fish and drinks.
    My experience with inexpensive kayaks is they overstate weight capacity. If you get one rated for 250.you should be Ok. I weigh 220 and one rated for 250 just wasn't quite enough.
  • krashkrash Posts: 685 Officer
    Most Inexpensive kayaks are inexpensive for a reason........... gotta cut corners somewhere to produce a cheaper product. 
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • hellsgatehellsgate NaplesPosts: 49 Greenhorn
    Get a pedal drive.  Gamechanger
    hellsgate said:

I like those.  is there a steering stick and Rudder or do the pedals make the turns?
    How is a pedal drive a game changer ?

Where I fish, shallow gin clear flats, they just don't work... I see pedal guys go by hanging another hundred or so yards further off the shorelines though.. they do move along a bit faster when trying to make distance.
    Resinhead said:
    hellsgate said:

I like those.  is there a steering stick and Rudder or do the pedals make the turns?

Rudder with a steering lever in a real good stop on my hobie
    krash said:

Where I fish, shallow gin clear flats, they just don't work... I see pedal guys go by hanging another hundred or so yards further off the shorelines though.. they do move along a bit faster when trying.    

I can fish while going against the current.  Can travel while tying a knot.  Pull the occasional skier.  If I need to go crazy shallow it only takes a second to pull the drive.  Not sure why the guys you see are staying 100 yards off
    My advice, I don't care what it is, high end, low end, or even who gives you recommendation. TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

krash said:

Where I fish, shallow gin clear flats, they just don't work... I see pedal guys go by hanging another hundred or so yards further off the shorelines though.. they do move along a bit faster when trying to make distance.
    Also, many a time a big fish has headed to the mangroves and a turn of the tiller and 3 leg pumps has saved the day. 
    Another suggestion I have always made to people looking is to go to the locations where you plan to fish and look to see what others are using.. Talk to the people when they are coming in offf a day on the water.
    Many times people are more free with information in person rather than on social media, especially people who are on staff as a pro-staffer or sponsored by a manufacturer. Sales people in the store are trying to sell you something and generally work on commision.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,971 Captain
    hellsgate said:
    Legs are stronger than arms, so one can go farther without getting tired.  The newer models track super straight, so I can have both hands free to tie knots, eat lunch, cast lures while I am moving, etc.  More than once a tarpon has headed around a piling, and with a paddle kayak, your out of luck.  With the peddle yak, the fish can be chased until clear of obstructions.    In shallow water, mirage drives can be scissor kicked.  Sometimes when I launch in the keys, I will have to scissor kick 500ft to get clear of shallow water before I can take full sweeps of the propulsion. 

Disclosure, I am on the Hobie fishing team, but even before I was(pre 2019), I still felt the same way about leg propulsion over hands.    
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,339 Admiral
    I just picked up an Eddyline, I like it thus far.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • crghsscrghss Posts: 163 Deckhand
    Buy used, if kayaking is not your thing then you can sell and get most of your money back. Also as you can read by the reply’s a lot of choices. You won’t know what you like till you get out there and do it. Ever one has different tastes. 

I’ve owned 7 kayaks (peddle and non-peddle, sleek & fast vs wider, slow but can stand) till I settled on Hobie’s (peddle drives). I bought used and got my money back to purchase the next one to try out. Worked for me. 

Hobie’s can go everywhere, still have a paddle. But just as with a boat, you’d but use it a lot to get your money out of it that you put in to it. 
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 304 Deckhand
    I had absolutely no use for peddle drives. I have 2 yaks without them. Then I fished from one. ****, they ARE game changers! For working a mangove edge or canal or lakeshore they are head and shoulders above my conventional yaks. Maybe not in 6" of gin clear water or matted hydrilla, but I believe all of them can be retracted above waterline if you need to.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,930 Captain
    Resinhead said:
    Fishing the flats of St Joe Bay. Would like a smaller yak to throw in the bed of the truck to go a couple blocks to the water by myself for some peace and quiet. Seems everytime I take the boat out there's 5 people that want to go. Big production. **** that. Would like an elevated seat due to back issues. We have a 13'+/- double molded seat yak but that is a pain in my back after 10 min. Nothing fancy, elevated seat, couple rod holders and a spot for a cooler.

What should I look at?
    As some others have said, pedal drive is very nice. I have a hobie PA 14 that I like and all kinds of things can be added. It's sturdy enough to stand up and fish from and has plenty of room and everything is convenient to the seat.
    But, I don't think you are just going to "throw" it in the back of the truck. It's heavy. I pull mine on a refitted harbor freight trailer along with my wifes wilderness tarpon 120. I'm thinking about trading my PA 14 in for an outback. It'll be a little lighter. 
    Contact Rob at The Wilderness Way in Crawfordville. They are very helpful.
    https://thewildernessway.net/
    You can rent various types and try them out. 
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 206 Deckhand
    last fall i bought a hobie outback 2019. it is really easy to peddle, fast, turns very quick, and has reverse (180) drive. i can load it easily in my pickup. I'm 68 years old, and i can handle it in every situation I've encountered so far. i like it so much, i bought another one for my son, because he is my best fishing partner. i have also bought a continental kayak trailer for when we both go out. the trailer is nice for longer trips also. right now, i don't think ill ever buy another boat, but i always do. LOL. 
    forgot to add that i have fished st. joe bay a lot (not since Michael), and if not for lack of accommodations in the area post hurricane, i would have kayak fished it. age seems to have eliminated one day trips to that area, as it is 150 miles one way, and i am not that mad at those fish anymore.
    da******mn! i keep forgetting what i wanted to say. ill finish by saying that the hobie outback does not have to be removed to go shallow, and does not foul in grass like the prop drives do. you can stand up and fish, and pole the yak in shallow water, as in the south end of st. joe bay. peace out.
    insert mirage drive between hobie and does, in above post. thats all ! promise! really! sincerely! no kidding! trust me!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    If you were smaller, I would have recommended the Hobie Sport, which is the smallest in their line. It's just shy of 10ft with a max weight capacity of 225lbs I think. But, with your height, this might be too small for you. Next best recommendation from Hobie for a light weight kayak you can throw in the back of the truck: Hobie Compass. Its 12ft, weighs around 70lbs, and has a weight capacity of 400lbs. Only thing I recommend is installing some carrying handles if you wanted to carry it further or lift overhead for mounting on roof racks (which you don't sound like you intend to). For users like you who are not seeking the fanciest offshore fishing rig, I'm not suggesting you go and spend money on an outback or pro-angler; they're stable for standing, but they weigh so much it cuts into the "convenience factor" you seem to want.
    Good luck.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,344 Moderator
    last fall i bought a hobie outback 2019. it is really easy to peddle, fast, turns very quick, and has reverse (180) drive. i can load it easily in my pickup. I'm 68 years old, and i can handle it in every situation I've encountered so far. i like it so much, i bought another one for my son, because he is my best fishing partner. i have also bought a continental kayak trailer for when we both go out. the trailer is nice for longer trips also. right now, i don't think ill ever buy another boat, but i always do. LOL. 
    That hit me right in the feels man, I love fishing with my dad and bought a spare kayak so he can fish with me when he comes to visit!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    Took the tandem out yesterday. It has a "middle" seat. Definitely worked but got uncomfortable after an hour or so. Caught a few short trout and found another ladyfish spot.

Definitely need one with a higher seat.

• mlangemlange Posts: 101 Deckhand
    edited December 2019 #30
    As far as prop drives go, what do you guys think the shallow limits are. The hobie's seem great but cost much more? Hands free is the way to go! 
  • jawrayjawray Posts: 363 Deckhand
    You have a boat and your just looking for the occasional quick easy trip in the kayak. That is the position I was in. My Pescador pro is light and has a comfortable seat. A kayak for me is a simpler way to fish than my boat. If it gets to complicated , I might as well take the skiff. For others, their kayak is their main fishing platform and that’s fine too.