Solo Trip 10/4 Crystal River

I ran out of CR yesterday by myself with the intent of checking on the local snook population then running out to see if the gags have moved inshore yet. Spent an hour or so in the backwater with not much luck, water was pretty murky for the lack of rain. While it was still calm I decided to run out and check my inshore grouper spots, spent 4hrs casting various spots with no luck. Slightly frustrated at not being able to buy a bite, I went and did a little exploring which paid off big time. I found a few new areas that looked promising, but no takers until I found one measly rock...first cast and a freight train came off the bottom and nailed my Rapala, a few minutes later I had my personal best 30” gag in the boat! Next cast on the same spot I caught n released his 22” buddy that came out when I hooked into the big boy. I tried checking for tripletail on my way in but the tide was ripping and it had been a long day for me, still one fish I haven’t managed to find. 

Ive been on the inshore gags for 3 years now and still haven’t found any major patterns to them, I’ve found it’s either feast or famine with them, definitely an awesome experience here on the gulf coast. 

Replies