Winter Trout and Reds....Newbie here.

New to the Big Bend Winter fishing to Clarify..
Been fishing the 10 K for 40 years.
Winter we could catch Snook when their metabolism slowed down by soaking a FRESH dead Finger Mullet on the bottom in creek holes. They were too cold to chase lures...kinda like the Winter Trout up here.
I'm going to be fishing small Tidal creeks with Oyster Bars  , a good flow and holes 6  /8 ft' deep on a low tide.
I know the big rivers get hit hard but I'm Kayak and Jon Boat and know skinny water operations well.
Will this work / Tiger Minnows as a substitute ?
Will the Trout / Reds maybe Flounder stay in that shallow of water.
We're talking North of Keaton Beach , Yates Creek ramp area. Couple good wide creeks there...I'm 10 miles away all Winter long .
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 909 Officer
    I have good luck with trout in the winter time as do most people because the creeks are full of them.  To me the best spot is to fish is the mouth of a another tidal creek where the water is flowing out of the smaller creek. The trout are waiting for all the bait flowing out of the creek.  I like 1/4 oz jighead tip with a Pearl White Gulp and I just jig it back in like you would do in the gulf.  Cajon thunders work good to.   Other bait are Pearl White Gulp with chartreuse tails.  Trout love that yellow tails.  When the trout are running in the creeks you could catch them on shrimps, mullets cut bait and paddletail bait they love white if the water in clear.  The reds will hit on the same bait.  That are my favorite bait but others people will have their favorite 
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,646 Captain
    I often fish a rod with live or cut bait while at the same fishing an artificial. Both work all year long.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I usually fish the creeks in my jon too, I don't use bait, I just throw lures, usually a spoon, a  jig or a top water. On really cold days a jig or mirrow dine in a deep hole works pretty good. Flounder are often at the mouths of the creeks, work your jig across sandy bottoms if you find that. I fish mainly in the Steinhatchee area, from Pepperfish to Big Grassy. Good luck TRT.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,937 Captain
    It rarely gets cold enough to require bait for me. Bouncing any jig on the bottom will do the job. The colder it is the slower I work it. Trout are generally closer to the mouths of the creeks but a few Gators will work the same bars and rocks you find redfish at too. The reds can get as far up the creeks as you feel like going 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,002 Moderator
    ^^^ this ^^^      Winter creek trout are suckers for fake baits . Warm days they eat topwater pretty good.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,729 Admiral
    Thanks for the Local Knowledge guys. I'm looking forward to Kayak and Jon boat shallow creeks this Winter..Love a Negative Low.
    Killin and Grillin :grin