Home General Hunting

Big Cypress Gun season

Replies

• meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 517 Officer
    Mr_Watson said:
    A 60" walking stick is nice to have!
    never leave the truck without mine.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,675 Admiral
    Rut is fixin to fire up here in the Big Bend.
    I walk in then at Full Shooting Light. You'd be surprised what you can see...and not run off..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,654 Captain
    I didn't mind walking in anywhere in the dark....wadin with gators...pfffttt!  Never gave it a second thought. Then I started hunting Bear country this year. Made me think a bit more..
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I’ve spooked a lot of critters going to my stand in the dark and killed a few walking to my stand at first light and on the way in during the afternoon. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 114 Deckhand
    So shouldnt walk in before light? Lol
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 717 Officer
    I found that I saw more walking in at can see than can't see. I heard more running off in can't see though.
  • publichunterpublichunter Posts: 1,180 Officer
    spangler said:
    I'd be worrying most about cats and bears.  You see either, you pull your 357 and **** the hammer.  Don't wait to see what they're gonna do..
    I've encountered dozens of bears while hunting, have yet to see any of them do anything but haul **** when they see me.  The only cat attack I'm aware of (in Florida)  was a guy a few years ago who got grabbed from behind sitting on the ground calling a turkey, he was promptly let go.  I've been pulling for you in your journey to find some success hunting, but if that's where your head's at when you're in the woods perhaps you should stay home or find a "safer" pursuit.  
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    lol, it was kinda a joke.. bc of the wife worrying about snake thing...  :D
    I've seen a few cats and bears.  And yeah always running away.  But if I see one standing there staring at me, I also won't be thinking about what to do. roflmao hunting is hardly the first 'dangerous' thing I've done... but maybe, it will be the last :D:D:D
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,389 Captain
    "Cougars" have great potential to be hazardous to your health! 
    I figured it might be a joke but it's hard to decipher tone in the written word.  I'm not fond of emojis and lol's but they help me from coming off like an ****...some of the time at least
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,654 Captain
    Mr_Watson said:
    A 60" walking stick is nice to have!

I use one of the 6' bamboo stakes from the garden department while Im wading around duck hunting.
    I always have a walking stick scouting but when hunting it's too cumbersome.  I want bow/gun in hand ready to go.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Ryan91027Ryan91027 Posts: 89 Deckhand
    When should I walk in? In the dark or at first light? Ill be hunting from a folding chair so im able to move around
    I always aim to walk in in the dark, but if I oversleep I don't let it keep me from going.  
    How many deer can you shoot in the Dark ?
    Are you walking by other tree stand Hunters ?
    If not  just Still hunt to your spot and then sit down and have a Granola bar and keep your eyes open..
  • Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 114 Deckhand
    How many deer can you shoot in the Dark ?
    Are you walking by other tree stand Hunters ?
    If not  just Still hunt to your spot and then sit down and have a Granola bar and keep your eyes open..
    This sounds like a good plan if i'm hunting a blind or have a chair already on the tree. My train of thought is that I will make some noise climbing the tree with a climber (inevitably) & if I do that in the dark maybe it'll give animals time to settle down? 

Thoughts?

I have actually shot two deer, early morning, while climbing a tree. One from a climber and another from a ladder. Also shot one climbing down. Had a buddy stick a WMA buck with his bow one morning during mid climb as well. There is some truth to spending less time fumbling around in the dark while deer hunting. That's another reason why I have no trepidation using a light anymore getting to/from my stand. 

Having said that, I'm still going to try being in my stand before sunrise... I just can't seem to pull myself out of that old school of thought, but if I end up getting in my stand later, so be it.
    Walking through the woods in the dark without the use of a flashlight makes you learn your woods better.  
    edited October 2019 #50
    This Is actually true..
    I learned to run the 10 K Islands in the dark. Shapes of trees , Shoreline Contours  ect. A spotlight could blind you and all you could figure out was the 100 yards in front of you at 20 MPH..Don't work well.
    I can take you from Chokoloskee Boat ramp to Pavilion Key on a quarter Moon night in the Dark...
    Just be careful where you squat.  Those cypress knees will ruin you
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    This Is actually true..
    I learned to run the 10 K Islands in the dark. Shapes of trees , Shoreline Contours  ect. A spotlight could blind you and all you could figure out was the 100 yards in front of you at 20 MPH..Don't work well.
    I can take you from Chokoloskee Boat ramp to Pavilion Key on a quarter Moon night in the Dark...
    This Is actually true..
    Used to fish with a guy who ran from Parkway to Broad river back country in the dark... it was amazing how he could read just the shoreline contours. Just getting out tot he river is hard enuff for most people.
    I can't count on 2 hands the amount of deer I have killed going to my stand or desired spot. BUT I wont do that on some public lands for sure. Id much rather walk in the dark, walk out in the dark..pitch black dark that is. Too many yahoo's horn hunting with delusional thinking
    I wasn't joking.  I only use a dim light pointed at the ground so I don't trip over something if I have to.   
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 984 Officer
    Not me never used anything to help me get to and from stand my whole life until I came here. Now I look like a _amn freight train with halogen on my head in dark.  Still probably end up eaten by a python or dragged away by a family of cottonmouth but man the mind is a powerful thing and if something has you shook it's hard to bypass that. Came close to stepping on few almost all black skunks growing up heading to stand and been involved in some highly unorganized deer drives when I was young bullets go by you so close you can literally feel the pressure around you change which is a _ell of alot closer to death than probably any snake I'll ever encounter but I'll take that bad deer drive every day opposed to snakes. 
    Plenty of places in Florida where it's easy to get turned around with daylight
    You guys crack me up. Gimme a (E)ntertainment button. 
    spangler said:
    Plenty of places in Florida where it's easy to get turned around with daylight
    So trying them Thick Spots with lot's of Turns won't work real well in the Dark then ?
    I'm a First Light can see the Ground kinda guy.
    Still having my Coffee at the Polaris till then...

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Y’all are just scared of the dark
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    After my cougar experience in the glades..I am officially afraid of the dark. You will be as well if and when you hear one scream
    I had one growl at me during turkey season about 7-8 years ago, twice at two different locations about 100 yds apart and I didn't even have a flashlight with me and missed my chance to see one.  Still ain't afraid of the dark.  ****